Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] 2 Duke vs. 8 North Carolina (NCAA Tournament Final Four)

What’s your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's my final thought this evening:

This will sting for about 5-6 years. If UNC fans still bring it up beyond that it likely means that A) Duke is still relevant and there are still Duke fans around for them to smack talk, and B) Things are going bad for them and they have to go back to this well of smacktalk. Sorta like how NC State still lives off of 1974 and 1983 for any good memories.

Duke fans are not like State fans. Duke fans will not continue to masochistically support the program if it becomes irrelevant. We will check out like we've done in football.

There's a bandwagonish element among Duke fans for sure, but supporting a program that doesn't win just seems like a profound waste of time to me.

Scheyer needs to realize this

Man, we got decked.

I feel bad for that team. Holy shit those stat lines, it was worse than I thought.

I've never seen a shittier great performance in my life

This will sting for about 5-6 years. If UNC fans still bring it up beyond that it likely means that A) Duke is still relevant and there are still Duke fans around for them to smack talk, and B) Things are going bad for them and they have to go back to this well of smacktalk. Sorta like how NC State still lives off of 1974 and 1983 for any good memories.

Duke fans are not like State fans. Duke fans will not continue to masochistically support the program if it becomes irrelevant. We will check out like we've done in football.

There's a bandwagonish element among Duke fans for sure, but supporting a program that doesn't win just seems like a profound waste of time to me.

I was thinking the same thing.

that $8,000 minimum donation to get the honor to spend $3,000 for season tix is going to fast become a joke if Scheyer lets the program fall off. They wouldn’t be able to get half that to address the empty seats. And 3-4 years of mediocrity? Might have to slash prices 75%

I wish I had been scrolling Twitter before the game because then I would’ve seen this and known it was done already:

I was thinking the same thing.

that $8,000 minimum donation to get the honor to spend $3,000 for season tix is going to fast become a joke if Scheyer lets the program fall off. They wouldn’t be able to get half that to address the empty seats. And 3-4 years of mediocrity? Might have to slash prices 75%

I hadn't considered that angle when I made my post. But yeah, telling successful Duke alumni and fans used to excellence to spend 10-11 grand a year to support mediocrity to watch maybe 1-2 high profile games a year.

Good luck with that

It was never real, but this idea that Duke gets all the calls is such a fucking joke. If Duke did indeed receive favoritism from referees, we would've won last nights game. I actually think that referees, such as Roger Ayers, are very mindful of not giving Duke calls at the end of close games so that they aren't perceived as a Duke homer or one of K's buddies. I think Coach K grew into such a polarizing figure nationally that referees subconsciously did not want to be a part of that "Duke refs" narrative. Maybe that will change now that he's gone but I honestly haven't felt like we've gotten a favorable whistle in a big game in years.

And look this isn't why we lost, but Roger Ayers made the 2018 block call on Wendell Carter Jr in the Elite Eight overtime, and he made the arguably phantom foul call on Jeremy Roach that gave Davis two FT's with Duke up by 1. I thought both calls were incorrect, but even if you think both are "borderline" they both went against Duke in the Elite Eight and Final Four.

UNC outplayed Duke at the end of the game............that was the difference.............both bigs getting in deep foul trouble early didn't help either.........

H
It was never real, but this idea that Duke gets all the calls is such a fucking joke. If Duke did indeed receive favoritism from referees, we would've won last nights game. I actually think that referees, such as Roger Ayers, are very mindful of not giving Duke calls at the end of close games so that they aren't perceived as a Duke homer or one of K's buddies. I think Coach K grew into such a polarizing figure nationally that referees subconsciously did not want to be a part of that "Duke refs" narrative. Maybe that will change now that he's gone but I honestly haven't felt like we've gotten a favorable whistle in a big game in years.

And look this isn't why we lost, but Roger Ayers made the 2018 block call on Wendell Carter Jr in the Elite Eight overtime, and he made the arguably phantom foul call on Jeremy Roach that gave Davis two FT's with Duke up by 1. I thought both calls were incorrect, but even if you think both are "borderline" they both went against Duke in the Elite Eight and Final Four.

The refs narrative started 21 years ago and hasn't let up. It is arguably the most frustrating aspect of being a Duke fan. It wouldn't be as frustrating if other bluebloods got the same scrutiny. Hansbrough would be the most hated player of all time if he played for Duke.

The backlash was most evident in 2004 when we next made the FF.

Yeah, the thing with Hubert is that he modernized their game plans, which has been huge. Their offense looks so NBA-esque.

On the officiating - it seems all the big, close calls last night went against us. The Roach call looks like a clean play-on. The Keels basket late sure looks like an and-1. But the fact that neither went our way is brutal.

So many little things went wrong that it's hard to focus on that one too much. You only get that type of continuation in the NBA.

Must be a function of age, and dare I say maturity, but I think I'm already over it. Though, I haven't been to work all week, so we'll see how that goes tomorrow and I will know how many more people in my life I get to lose respect for and ignore.

Must be a function of age, and dare I say maturity, but I think I'm already over it. Though, I haven't been to work all week, so we'll see how that goes tomorrow and I will know how many more people in my life I get to lose respect for and ignore.
Hardly anyone in my life is a basketball fan so my enjoyment and pain is almost always completely private. And it is wonderful.

I woke up this morning and thought to myself "This isn't so bad." And then I proceeded to playback the game in my head for the next hour, considering all the things that could have gone differently that would have led to a win. So...yeah.
I do that for every loss, though

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom