Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] at North Carolina

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What was wrong with the defense?

Flip got owned inside and Harrison Ingram made every damn thing he threw up.
I would also point to them scoring 19 points off of our 11 turnovers. 1.7 ppp off of turnovers is not great. And it's actually more than that because not all 11 were even live ball.

Sounds like this game said more about UNC than Duke and we all ought to think about being out of the country on April 8

I feel the opposite way. Cut down on live ball turnovers and shoot our regular percentage from three and we win. I would also expect the FTs to be a bit more even in Cameron. Granted, a bunch of their FTs came late.

What it DOES say about UNC is that Hubert Davis has managed to get the best portal player in two out of three years. Given how wildly inaccurate portal rankings have ended up being, this is the scouting equivalent to picking Draymond Green followed by Jokic.

What was wrong with the defense?

Flip got owned inside and Harrison Ingram made every damn thing he threw up.
Were they open or was he making difficult shots?

From what I can tell from reading things, seems our strategy was to pick RJ up wherever he was and force the rest to beat us. Which it seems Bacot and Ingram were more than happy to do.

The sooner the offense switches to focus on getting shots up for Roach-McCain-Proctor as the primary options, the better.

Flip is just too much of a blackhole on offense when he's only looking to shoot and not creating. The live ball turnovers that both Flip and Young have are just back breakers because it's the same type of play (drive from the top of the key, attempting to take them off the dribble from the three point lane) and it results in an easy layup for the opposition. Duke gives up like 6-10 pts every game up off the same turnovers by big guys that require very little defensive abilities by the opponent. It's just them dribbling off their feet or falling down trying to draw a foul without success, always the same way, it's infuriating. Also, the number of times that Flip would leave a wide-open shooter without giving a single semblance of contesting the three-point shot was so annoying.

McCain had 11 rebounds and Mitchell had 7 rebounds. Flip and Young had 7 total rebounds between them both. Just a complete lack of rebounding by Duke's bigs. So disappointing.

McCain had 11 rebounds and Mitchell had 7 rebounds. Flip and Young had 7 total rebounds between them both. Just a complete lack of rebounding by Duke's bigs. So disappointing.

To be fair, McCain and Mitchell getting as many rebounds as they did could be a result of Filipowski and Young doing a great job boxing out and clearing the lane for those guys to get in and rebound. We were essentially even with UNC on the glass.

What it DOES say about UNC is that Hubert Davis has managed to get the best portal player in two out of three years. Given how wildly inaccurate portal rankings have ended up being, this is the scouting equivalent to picking Draymond Green followed by Jokic.
It will be interesting to see whose portal strategy ends up being most successful. UNC grabbing P4 veterans with at least one distinct high-end skill, or Duke using it to get “jacks of all trades” from good universities with former Duke guys coaching them.

I still say Duke needs to start tampering. There’s no real punishment for it anyway.

What is slightly annoying about the UNC transfers this year is that they came from the same academic pool that Duke has targeted transfers from. Harrison Ingram is from Stanford, and Ryan is from Notre Dame. Even now with hindsight, it's understandable why we didn't target Ingram, despite his improved statistical profile this season. UNC didn't do anything that we can't do, such as grab a transfer that is off-limits to Duke.

It's difficult to hate on UNC this year. Hubert Davis and his staff did an incredible job retooling a line-up and locker room with little cohesion. It's also quite evident now that Davis is at a minimum, a good coach.

Man this game had no juice whatsoever. It was an ordinary loss with no fireworks, but it's not resonating at all nationally. Duke/UNC results used to lead SportsCenter, the front page of ESPN, and at least one long-form piece in SI or w/e. The sport truly is dead

Also, all those twitter influencers saying to ignore this, and that the game was "very hyped locally" are wrong. There's very little energy around here either

Last edited:
ACC basketball is trending toward being very much like what Big Ten football has been over the past few seasons, for better or for worse. Two relevant programs going through the motions for 90% of the schedule, with minimal fan interest due to the predictability and staleness, maybe a few opponents who can feasibly pull a major upset, and the remaining majority of the league being completely uncompetitive with the top two. The only games that matter are against each other. Shorten the regular season or form a super league like football will eventually do.

Man this game had no juice whatsoever. It was an ordinary loss with no fireworks, but it's not resonating at all nationally. Duke/UNC results used to lead SportsCenter, the front page of ESPN, and at least one long-form piece in SI or w/e. The sport truly is dead

K and Roy both being gone plays a huge role in this. The first game coming before the Super Bowl now does, too. I’ve said it before but they really need to consider moving the season back a month or so, especially with the college football playoffs running into late January next year. Start the tournament the week after the Masters and have it run into May. It wouldn’t reverse the decline, but the sport is getting completely drowned out by football nowadays.

I mean, this game didn’t even have juice on this board. By far the shortest UNC thread in my time here. Random early January Miami games had more activity 4 years ago.

Also, all those twitter influencers saying to ignore this, and that the game was "very hyped locally" are wrong. There's very little energy around here either
The only person who it mattered to deeply was Harrison Ingram for some reason.

Personally, my fandom during the regular season is dead because I only care about titles, and this sport is an awful one to follow if that’s all you care about. Same with NBA, MLB, NHL and, to a lesser extent, NFL. At least in college football, every game still mattered (won’t be the case anymore with 12-team playoff; the elite teams can all lose 1-2 games now).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom