Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] at North Carolina

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Vibe check says we miss a frustrating amount of open threes and lose by 2

I agree with the general sentiment that UNC will win on a banked in 3 at the buzzer.

It’ll be interesting to see how well this goes under Scheyer. I feel like the “Duke has no chance against UNC” games were often ones where K would pull out his motivational voodoo to get the players insanely locked in and somehow eke out a win.

*And by “it’ll be interesting to see” I mean it’ll be interesting for the rest of you to see because there’s no way in hell I’m watching Duke lose this game by whatever stupid margin it’ll be.

I wish I could 2-way ignore an entire thread.

How immediately does diddukewin.com update? What's everyone's go-to method of checking after the fact?

I like only checking if we won/lost, so then I can watch without spoilers other than that. I usually just go to the ESPN scores page and cover up half of it with my hand and see which team's name is bolded.

New season obviously, but it was nice last year holding them under 60 in both games last year. They torched us twice the year before when we had an NBA frontcourt on the roster.

K pulled some games out of his *** when we were the underdog, but we also had games we had no business losing, especially the way we did.

It’ll be interesting to see how well this goes under Scheyer. I feel like the “Duke has no chance against UNC” games were often ones where K would pull out his motivational voodoo to get the players insanely locked in and somehow eke out a win.

*And by “it’ll be interesting to see” I mean it’ll be interesting for the rest of you to see because there’s no way in hell I’m watching Duke lose this game by whatever stupid margin it’ll be.
I wish this was more of a "Duke has no chance against UNC". Unfortunately, I kind of think we have a great shot. Their team outside Davis is pretty fucking mid (think I'm using that right), and we should have the personnel to contain him. We aren't going to put up some 3-17 night from beyond the arc. We've seemed to be more comfortable on the road than at home recently and Scheyer owns Davis. It's not a toss-up, but I'd give us a 35-40% chance.

So of course we'll lose the boards by 25 and the game by 15.:angry:

How immediately does diddukewin.com update? What's everyone's go-to method of checking after the fact?

I like only checking if we won/lost, so then I can watch without spoilers other than that. I usually just go to the ESPN scores page and cover up half of it with my hand and see which team's name is bolded.
I just google the game. The score pops up on the main google page. I'm okay with knowing the score. In fact, that's super important. I don't want to watch a game where we beat a bad team by three points. A win is not enough for me to spend two hours of my time. It has to be a win where we actually played well.

I don't check the box scores because I don't want to know too much about how the game played out. Seeing who played well, how we shot from three, how many turnovers we had, first half vs. second half scores, etc. all gives it away a bit.

Last edited:

You have to wait a little longer, but I check Torvik or kenpom. You’ll see the record update, and you’ll see if Duke performed well or not. If I check kenpom after Duke hosts Boston College, and Duke’s Kenpom drops a lot despite Duke winning, I absolutely will not watch that game.

I actually think we've got a good shot of winning. UNC is not some incredible team. They're a good team that has some inflated Kenpom numbers due to a string of bad opponent shooting. There are certain matchups we can exploit. We have better players at most positions. We're also 4-1 against Quad 1 opponents. They're 4-3. We've struggled against the mediocre teams, not the good ones.

I just google the game. The score pops up on the main google page. I'm okay with knowing the score. I don't check the box scores because I don't want to know who played well.
See, I don't like knowing the score, because then every non-sexy basket is mildly disappointing, as is every good shot missed by the opponent. I like to be able to be happy when Ryan Young scores a grotesque putback.

You have to wait a little longer, but I check Torvik or kenpom. You’ll see the record update, and you’ll see if Duke performed well or not. If I check kenpom after Duke hosts Boston College, and Duke’s Kenpom drops a lot despite Duke winning, I absolutely will not watch that game.
Knowing whether Duke won or not from the record would require me knowing our record prior to the game.

I just google the game. The score pops up on the main google page. I'm okay with knowing the score. I don't check the box scores because I don't want to know who played well.
See, I don't like knowing the score, because then every non-sexy basket is mildly disappointing, as is every good shot missed by the opponent. I like to be able to be happy when Ryan Young scores a grotesque putback.
I edited the post to expand on my rationale, but you were too fast. Aren't you afraid you'll end up watching a game like Duke-GT at home? That shit was a complete waste of time even though we won.

I actually think we've got a good shot of winning. UNC is not some incredible team. They're a good team that has some inflated Kenpom numbers due to a string of bad opponent shooting. There are certain matchups we can exploit. We have better players at most positions. We're also 4-1 against Quad 1 opponents. They're 4-3. We've struggled against the mediocre teams, not the good ones.
GAME

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom