Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] at North Carolina

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wish I could 2-way ignore an entire thread.

How immediately does diddukewin.com update? What's everyone's go-to method of checking after the fact?

I like only checking if we won/lost, so then I can watch without spoilers other than that. I usually just go to the ESPN scores page and cover up half of it with my hand and see which team's name is bolded.
I just google the game. The score pops up on the main google page. I'm okay with knowing the score. I don't check the box scores because I don't want to know who played well.
See, I don't like knowing the score, because then every non-sexy basket is mildly disappointing, as is every good shot missed by the opponent. I like to be able to be happy when Ryan Young scores a grotesque putback.
I edited the post to expand on my rationale, but you were too fast. Aren't you afraid you'll end up watching a game like Duke-GT at home? That shit was a complete waste of time even though we won.
It's a delicate dance. Sometimes I'm even heroically brave enough to watch live, and even risk a loss. But usually I'm okay risking a home Duke-GT as the worst case, if it means giving some extra intrigue to the experience.

We should just have a thread where one person who watches every game posts a "yes" "yes but could skip" "no but we don't lose" or "no" recommendation at the conclusion of each.

Lot easier on my mental health to just assume a blowout loss and hope to be surprised with a win. Hard hitting analysis.

I wish I could 2-way ignore an entire thread.

How immediately does diddukewin.com update? What's everyone's go-to method of checking after the fact?

I like only checking if we won/lost, so then I can watch without spoilers other than that. I usually just go to the ESPN scores page and cover up half of it with my hand and see which team's name is bolded.
You have to wait a little longer, but I check Torvik or kenpom. You’ll see the record update, and you’ll see if Duke performed well or not. If I check kenpom after Duke hosts Boston College, and Duke’s Kenpom drops a lot despite Duke winning, I absolutely will not watch that game.
Knowing whether Duke won or not from the record would require me knowing our record prior to the game.
You already have the page open and refresh

Lot easier on my mental health to just assume a blowout loss and hope to be surprised with a win. Hard hitting analysis.
This is the TDF approach to life in general.

I used to be optimistic about everything, so I hate to say that I've been beaten down enough in the last 14 months that I struggle to be optimistic about anything at all.

We should just have a thread where one person who watches every game posts a "yes" "yes but could skip" "no but we don't lose" or "no" recommendation at the conclusion of each.
Agreed. This is perfect. Who is the right person to watch though. Has to be someone optimistic enough to watch every game but can’t be so optimistic they recommend every win, no matter how it played out.

Okay now i'm actually curious, there's still a majority that actually watches these games live right? It can't must be me and @mkvl04

If I could handle watching JJ's senior night loss unfold at a sports bar with 70%+ UNC fans, I can watch this. And Armageddon already happened in 2022, twice, so we can't actually die anymore
You’re probably a normal, well-adjusted person. I am not and can’t seem to get better, so the next best option is not putting myself in situations where I’ll become an immature dick to anyone else in the house.

Okay now i'm actually curious, there's still a majority that actually watches these games live right? It can't must be me and @mkvl04

If I could handle watching JJ's senior night loss unfold at a sports bar with 70%+ UNC fans, I can watch this. And Armageddon already happened in 2022, twice, so we can't actually die anymore

I still watch every game but my investment level with sports in general is at the lowest it's ever been for me. For college basketball, I don't watch anybody outside of Duke and sometimes Nebraska. The product doesn't entertain me. Same with the NBA because I don't enjoy free throw shooting contests and it seems like 9/10 games I watch are like that anymore. I actually have watched more NHL this year than any other non-NFL sport and even that is less than 20 games.

Okay now i'm actually curious, there's still a majority that actually watches these games live right? It can't just be me and @mkvl04

I watch. Like you said, we survived watching 2022 and nothing can be as bad as that.

I have missed 7 of the last 13 Duke/UNC games after missing zero from 2006 through the 2018 home game.

Also, thread ruined

Okay now i'm actually curious, there's still a majority that actually watches these games live right? It can't just be me and @mkvl04

As horrendous as the 2022 reverse sweep was, it’s crazy how little cultural relevance it has retained, not even two years on. I feel like nobody really brings it up now outside of UNC fans. Their utter flameout and us sweeping them last year definitely helped, but 2006 ushering in the Hansbrough era was way more of a shift.

The best argument for watching is that the elation you get is stronger than if you just learn about the win afterwards. But that's not outweighed by 1) the misery of having wasted two hours on a loss; 2) the actual physical danger of watching. I'm not exaggerating about #2. My heart rate is probably up over 120 for the entire game.

As horrendous as the 2022 reverse sweep was, it’s crazy how little cultural relevance it has retained, not even two years on. I feel like nobody really brings it up now outside of UNC fans. Their utter flameout and us sweeping them last year definitely helped, but 2006 ushering in the Hansbrough era was way more of a shift.
It would be far more significant if it had been Jon who took that L instead of K IMO.

Still, I surprisingly got over it well all things considered. 1999 UConn is still the one game I can't get over, no matter what

I watch. Like you said, we survived watching 2022 and nothing can be as bad as that.
Breaking a finger is not as bad as getting shot, but that still doesn't mean I seek it out.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom