Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] at Virginia Tech

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
“I thought our team just had great togetherness”

who’s the actual coach of this team?

I liked the way we used Flip much more tonight. He was facilitating out of the short roll. And when he was getting post touches, they seemed to come off much quicker actions and start with deeper post position.

It also looked to me like there was a real emphasis on pushing the pace. And in the half court, it seemed like we wanted to attack their guards for drive-and-kick opportunities.

Obviously, you're not always going to shoot like that. But we're one of the best shooting teams in the country. You need to at least give your guards the opportunity to go off. There is no reason we shouldn't be a top 3 offense. We don't turn the ball over. We have four guards shooting between 39% and 48% from three. Our starting center is at 37%. We shoot reasonably well from the FT line and well from two.

If you have the #2 offense vs the #10 offense, the calculations on how good your defense needs to be change a lot.

Obviously, you're not always going to shoot like that. But we're one of the best shooting teams in the country. You need to at least give your guards the opportunity to go off. There is no reason we shouldn't be a top 3 offense. We don't turn the ball over. We have four guards shooting between 39% and 48% from three. Our starting center is at 37%. We shoot reasonably well from the FT line and well from two.

If you have the #2 offense vs the #10 offense, the calculations on how good your defense needs to be change a lot.

This may just be my own perception but it feels like when they're playing without a specific focus on who is going to shoot on that possession, they're so much better. They move the ball and force the shifting defense to move and after 4-5 passes, they're guaranteed a good to great shot.

It's when they force a specific action (like a Flip, top of the key iso) that things seem to not work as well. When Flip is not 100% looking for his shot, he's absolutely a different player and the offense is so much better. He's a great passer but sometimes, I feel like he gets tunnel vision and is determined that he's shooting no matter what on that possession. But when he's taking his time, reading the defense and kicking, they're getting amazing shots from some great shooters. Other guys, not just Flip, have that issue too but his just seem most pronounced since it usually results in a quick shot opportunity the other way.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom