Alumni-Coached College Teams

11/20 update:

Jeff Capel is 2-2 with double-digit losses to The Citadel and West Virginia. They have single-digit wins against UNC Wilmington and Towson. He had a terrible 2021 recruiting class and has 0 commitments in 2022. In 2020 Capel and Pitt agreed to a 2-year extension, taking him through the 2026-2027 season. Due to the extension, I'm assuming he's safe for now, but if they don't show actual improvement this season and next, he's either going to be fired or on a scorching hot seat.

Johnny Dawkins is 3-0 with a big in-state win over Miami on the road. They have some good games coming up against Oklahoma, Auburn, and Florida State.

Chris Collins is 4-0 and won all games by blowout. They get their first real Monday, 11/22 versus Providence. They have one other test in non-conference @Wake Forest. He has a solid freshman class, but the next recruiting class is bad.

Tommy Amaker is 2-1 with a 3 point OT loss @ the Rick Pitino-coached Iona Gaels.

Greg Paulus is a respectable 1-2 with a 3 point road loss to Xavier and a 10 point road loss to #17 Ohio State, and they were only down 1 at half-time.

Mike Brey is 2-0. I like their team this year on paper and think they can return to the NCAA Tournament if things go right. We'll find out soon because the rest of their OOC slate is tough. They kick-off the Maui Invitational Monday night with St. Mary's and if they win they'll play Oregon. They have remaining OOC games @ #10 Illinois, Kentucky, and Indiana on a neutral floor. Brey has a good recruiting class coming in 2022. Brey's contract ends in 2024-2025. If they don't show progress this year he's going to be in a tough spot and his seat will be getting hot IMO. Upon entering the ACC, he made the NCAAT in 3 of the first 4 seasons, including back to back Elite Eights, an ACCT Championship, and a 32 win season. The last 4 seasons he made the NIT, went 3-15 in the ACC in 18-19, and might have gotten into the NCAAT during the COVID year, and then 7-11 in ACC last year.

Last edited:
I'd assume we'd still rather have Scheyer as HC. Would love to have him back as AC though. Doubt he'd accept.

VT gets Pitt as a Home and Away opponent this year (Duke away only), tuck that tidbit away.

The Pitt-Cuse games will be completely and absolutely disgusting

Reactions: rome8180
jLvywTD.png

This is amazing, total dream opponent for us. Absolutely can't hold onto the ball for shit, and don't make up for it with any defensive pressure of their own. Can't shoot for shit from the perimeter, nor guard it as well. The one silver lining is that when they aren't tripping over their dicks or bricking it from deep, they actually do a decent job of drawing fouls, however they absolutely suck at making free throws so it's of little use. Their entire "strength" offensively seems to be scoring near the rim, which they will have to do against Mark.

I don't think Capel would come back fwiw, I think we'll see him in regional media next.

Can’t imagine a title contender Duke team coming anywhere close to losing in Blacksburg to a team that bad.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil