Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Cooper Flagg

Flagg is a highly skilled, tough and versatile forward with an immense impact on the game on both ends of the floor. He possesses great size, length and is an impressive athlete. Flag has a unique ability to dominate a game with his abilities to pour in jumpers, attack the rim, create for his teammates, snag boards and block shots.

His blocks and offense will be what you see on the highlight reels, but you won't see just how impactful of a defender he truly is with his ability to switch one-through-five and wreak havoc off-the-ball by knowing exactly where he should be at exactly the right time.

To put it into perspective, while playing with his Maine United AAU program this summer, Flagg posted an astounding 25.4 points, 13.0 rebounds, 5.7 assists and 6.9 blocks a game while shooting 46.2% from the field, 34.4% from three. In seven games at Nike Peach Jam, Flagg tallied three triple-doubles through the points, rebounds and blocks columns.

The recruiting machine we built over the last decade is insane.

Yeah if it ever was going to come crashing down, it was during the coaching transition. Hard to argue we didn’t end up with the best possible outcome for its preservation in Scheyer. I don’t see Amaker being able to maintain this pipeline.

With Scheyer I think we have a good ten years at minimum before we have to start to worry about erosion from other conferences pulling away too far

The best parts about K staying on after 2015 were Duke becoming completely entrenched not only as the premier brand in the sport (we are CBB at this point), but also far and away the top destination for highly-ranked talent. I’m glad we avoided Coach Capel/Dawkins/Amaker/Wojo as well, all of whom would’ve been far more likely had he stepped aside sooner. The last 7 years were painful at times, but the transition went just about perfectly.

The only threats I see to the program long-term besides the obvious one in conference re-alignment is the NBA developing a prospect league so compelling that it essentially drains CBB of any superstar talent or top ten draft picker caliber recruits.

Otherwise, it's a matter of when, not if, Scheyer wins a title here. You stack this many elite classes, it doesn't matter how many bust years you have when they don't live up to their rankings, eventually you will get a class that clicks with a NPOY caliber prospect and take home the prize.

All the more important as I see this as our only realistic pathway to perpetual elite status given the university imposed constraints on the transfer portal that no coach going forward will be permitted to bypass

Last edited:
It sucks so much that UCONN has 5 titles because of a completely flukish and unsustainable ~91% winning percentage in final four games, and really should have 1-2 at most, while Michigan has 1 title and should have multiple. UCONN fans don't have any humility about this and don't care how irrelevant their successes are in halting the atrophy to the sport, let alone growing it. I think if you sampled 100 randoms off the street of New York and asked who won the college basketball title this year, maybe two or three people could name them.

UCONN has zero cachet. They can win another title this decade and will still have none. Nobody has even considered them for P5 membership. It’s honestly funny how little national relevance they have for a school with 5 rings.

The only schools that challenged us branding-wise were UNC in the 2005-2012 era when Roy was at his peak and the Jordan effect was still on its last legs, and Kentucky under Calipari until K completely stole his thunder in 2015. Even Kansas, a tradition rich blue blood with tons of recent success too, doesn’t really move the needle outside B12 country. Nobody is even close to us nowadays, and with this sport dying a little more every year, I can’t see anyone catching up at this point.

I’m also cautiously optimistic conference realignment will work out for us. The ACC is probably cooked and will most likely be an American-style conference by the mid-2030s, but I think our basketball brand, coupled with the modest football success we’ve had and should continue to have (especially if Elko is retained long-term), should be enough to get us a seat at the table. It would make no sense for Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Rutgers, Maryland, and Northwestern, just to name 5 schools off the top of my head, to be in the eventual P2, but not Duke.

The recruiting machine we built over the last decade is insane.

Yeah if it ever was going to come crashing down, it was during the coaching transition. Hard to argue we didn’t end up with the best possible outcome for its preservation in Scheyer. I don’t see Amaker being able to maintain this pipeline.

With Scheyer I think we have a good ten years at minimum before we have to start to worry about erosion from other conferences pulling away too far
Duke might still be immune if we still have a lot of NBA players in the league by then.

But I see us in the Big 10 or SEC in 10 years. There is no world where Vandy, Rutgers, and Northwestern are in a power conference while Duke rots away somewhere that makes sense.

UCONN has zero cachet. They can win another title this decade and will still have none. Nobody has even considered them for P5 membership. It’s honestly funny how little national relevance they have for a school with 5 rings.

The only schools that challenged us branding-wise were UNC in the 2005-2012 era when Roy was at his peak and the Jordan effect was still on its last legs, and Kentucky under Calipari until K completely stole his thunder in 2015. Even Kansas, a tradition rich blue blood with tons of recent success too, doesn’t really move the needle outside B12 country. Nobody is even close to us nowadays, and with this sport dying a little more every year, I can’t see anyone catching up at this point.

Good post.

In my lifetime, only UNC circa 1995-1997 was close to us now in brand (peak-Jordan effect, Dean still coaching, etc)

I don't see how the current landscape changes. A Jordan wouldn't be a 3-year player today, and as much as we sometimes hate being the villain. Sports need a villain for the common folk to be interested. Most programs are too bland for that label to stick.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom