Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Death Pool

And the “Maverick” gives me another.

Public and media reaction to his death in the last 24 hours reminds me that there really is no anti-war faction of note remaining in any of the GOP or Democrat parties today.
I's not war if you're killing brown people.

Or 'yellow people', if his war record and rhetoric is any indication.

Dude was an imperialistic warmonger for decades, but even mainstream left-oriented politicians and organizations are championing an obituary that lauded him as some kind of saintly hero of, not kidding, human rights:

The only journalists and pundits calling this crap out are those that have long been excluded from the mainstream media the last few years, like Glenwald or Chomsky.

@rome8180, you're pretty plugged in to the rank-and-file of the self identified progressive left. Are those people on facebook going along with this farce, or actually critical of it? I actually believe there'd be more of a critical reaction to the story that he called his wife a cunt in anger, than his actual political career.

Last edited:
In my narrow leftist world most people don't know what a colossal piece of shit he was.

Liberals almost universally viewed McCain as a giant piece of shit. Then the Repubs presented the country with Donald Trump and everyone with at least half a brain gained true perspective as to what an actual living, breathing pile of feces looked like.

@DurhamSon

There's been a surreal role reversal. The left has been praising him since his death while the right has been shitting all over him (when in reality he has much more in common with Trump than the left). Granted, a few on the left have called him out. But most of the talk has been pretty much in line with MSM's reverential tone.

I guess for me, I thought that basically everything he stood for was bad for most Americans, and America would be worse if he got what he wanted. But we’d all be better off if more republicans were like him than the religious right wing or true white nationalist factions that dominate it now.

I think that last part is the key. As a former Republican, I liked him because I could see the party really starting to move hard into jingoistic, anti-intellectual, bible-beating idiocy in the 90s. My mother was a Republican state rep in VA in the 90s, and was shit on by the 'toe the line' thumpers in VA Beach (Pat R) and Lynchburg (Jerry FU). She more or less changed parties halfway through.

McCain seemed to be - and I think was - a reasonable, pragmatic, intelligent person who could maybe alter the course of what 'conservatism' was becoming in 2000. In retrospect, it was way too late by 2008.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom