Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke at Georgia Tech

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
High stakes.

10687164.jpg

Re: Duke at Georgia Tech - Pregame/Predictions

To me, this season has been all about high stakes games.

FIU - home opener, have lost a lot of those in the past five years. Step up and beat them pretty handily.

Stanford - ranked opponent, get throttled.

Wake Forest - 12 year losing streak, handle adversity and win.

UVA - facing a WF hangover, new starting QB, again handle pretty easily.

VaTech - statement game, start off strong, get manhandled.

UNC - sack up and step up and win in closing minute.

FSU and Clemson - lose terribly.

This team has performed well when we play teams that have our same or slightly higher talent level. Where the gap is light years away, we've gotten dominated. GaTech does not have players that are on the same level as Clemson, FSU, and the others, so I expect us to keep this game close. I think the line is artificially inflated after we dropped two big games against the top of the ACC and UNC decided to not play any defense last week.

We've played Tech hard the past 5 years and I think it's time to get this streak over with as well.
On Defense: I actually like our 4-2-5 scheme against the option. I would play a 4-4-3 personally, but obviously we don't have the personnel to do that. I think you will see a great game from Walt Canty. We have smart players, I hope the coaches are emphasizing assignment football this week. Just do what you are asked to do and don't get away from the game plan. Play smart and hard. Don't get greedy in over-pursuit. I'm not too concerned with their wide receivers so our corners should do fine in single coverage. Vad Lee is certainly a better passer than Tevin, and I would expect him to be their main qb, but they don't have excellent receivers like they've had the past couple of years.

On Offense: I would like to see a lot of passing in the first couple of series, set up the run that way. Tech's defense is nothing to write home about, and we should be able to take advantage of a lot of underneath routes to Connor and Desmond. Minimize the swing passes, which have thankfully been few and far between. We need to get up early and then run clock as much as possible. Tech can stay on the field for extended periods of time so we need to minimize their possessions--Ball Control!

I'm hopeful that we win this game, ruining Tech's chances at bowling this year. I'll give us a 5 point victory margin, somewhere in the higher 30s.

Hopefully Tech shot their wad against UNC.

Are we sure, at this point, that Miami is going to self ban for a bowl?

I think so, farmer. They should look at Ohio State and UNC for guidance, especially UNC. Had they taken a bowl ban last year instead of going to Shreveport, they would be in the running for the ACC Championship game this year. Miami has a lot of young kids playing, young kids that will be better next year and can possibly contend for a better bowl, maybe even a BCS bowl.

Miami is going to be hit hard with sanctions, not as hard as Penn State, but definitely will be losing scholarships and probably be on probation for several years. Having two consecutive years of post-season bans would likely lighten the sanctions going forward.

It's interesting, I'm not purposefully picking photos where Canty is chasing someone. He just happens to be among the first few results in any search for "[most valuable opposing offensive player] & duke & football". He must've been one of our only defenders who could manage to stay in the picture with the ball carrier in recent years.

Anyway, this is a loss.

Of course there's some rain in the forecast, favoring a team that likes to run more.

I'm only seeing 10% chance of rain. Doubt it does.

Keys to today's game:

1) Get stops on first down. If you get GT behind on their play calling, they have to do desperate things, like pass the ball. If we can keep them at 2nd and 8+, the chances of us getting a stop increase dramatically.

2) Punting and Kickoffs need to be perfect. I don't think we will have an issue about this, but needs to be reiterated. Lots of hangtime on both aspects of the kicking game will be key to keeping Tech on a long field.

3) Score first, and score often. Triple option is not a comeback offense. If you win the coin toss get on Offense first.

4) Force a couple of turnovers/ball security. It's difficult to stop the option for a full game. Forcing TOs minimizes Tech's possessions.

5) ASSIGNMENT FOOTBALL - Defense, don't try and make the spectacular play or go for the big hit. Contain your man and wrap up. Be PATIENT and we win this game.

Duke 38 - GaTech 27

Final prediction - Connor "The Truth" Vernon finally breaks the ACC yardage record. He goes off for 80+ and a couple of scores against Tech's soft D.

dukeberto said:
Keys to today's game:

1) Get stops on first down. If you get GT behind on their play calling, they have to do desperate things, like pass the ball. If we can keep them at 2nd and 8+, the chances of us getting a stop increase dramatically.

2) Punting and Kickoffs need to be perfect. I don't think we will have an issue about this, but needs to be reiterated. Lots of hangtime on both aspects of the kicking game will be key to keeping Tech on a long field.

3) Score first, and score often. Triple option is not a comeback offense. If you win the coin toss get on Offense first.

4) Force a couple of turnovers/ball security. It's difficult to stop the option for a full game. Forcing TOs minimizes Tech's possessions.

5) ASSIGNMENT FOOTBALL - Defense, don't try and make the spectacular play or go for the big hit. Contain your man and wrap up. Be PATIENT and we win this game.

Duke 38 - GaTech 27

Berto, could you devise a game plan for defending the country against a Red Dawn style attack? It might help Rollins.

Vernon sets record for most consecutive games with a catch

Like the blue helmet/blue shirt/white pants

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back