Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

I was fine with the shot clock violation. It took 30 seconds off the clock with under 2 minutes left and prohibited a drive into 3 guys for a turnover and quick and-1 the other way.

Fair to say that at this point the O is of concern; surprising given the efficiency #s of earlier in the season.

The zone could be a decent tool, but there is too much ball watching after a shot goes up. Players must chase the ball.

The defense could be top 25 good if they would just block out. The coaches have gotten the idea of backing off on D and living with more jumpers to stop easy drives. Maybe within the next couple of seasons, we’ll get the good defensive rebounding that’s supposed to come with that strategy.

It’s amazing to me how many replays I see of an opponent’s putback vs Duke, and the Duke defenders are always just standing there watching the shot instead of trying to put a body on someone. Do the coaches think this skill is so fundamental they can’t be bothered to teach it?

The defense could be top 25 good if they would just block out. The coaches have gotten the idea of backing off on D and living with more jumpers to stop easy drives. Maybe within the next couple of seasons, we’ll get the good defensive rebounding that’s supposed to come with that strategy.

It’s amazing to me how many replays I see of an opponent’s putback vs Duke, and the Duke defenders are always just standing there watching the shot instead of trying to put a body on someone. Do the coaches think this skill is so fundamental they can’t be bothered to teach it?

I find it hard to believe this would not be a point of emphasis in practice. To me, not blocking out is consistent with the sloppy turnovers in most February games, the lack of hustle for loose balls, etc. It seems to be more of a concentration/effort issue on the players' end, not something that has not been emphasized by coaches.

Last edited:
I did Like the three-quarter press, which seemed to put GT in an uncomfortable position; maybe we can do something similar to VT and CIemson

The only joy I am getting right now is from watching Bolden, AOC, and Javin get better.

Very bullish on next year but this year really sucks since we whiffed on Trevon and we force feed the big men.

Not sure how anyone can be bullish on any upcoming year right now. Seems like setting yourself up for disappointment again.

Not sure how anyone can be bullish on any upcoming year right now. Seems like setting yourself up for disappointment again.
Tre Jones + 3 better players than senior Grayson + the progression of AOC, Javin and Bolden. Maybe Trent comes back to top it off.

You are seriously going to fall in love with Tre Jones, Rome. I am convinced he is the most impactful freshman in America next year after watching him lately. He is Tyus who can defend.

allegedly3.gif

Tre Jones + 3 better players than senior Grayson + the progression of AOC, Javin and Bolden. Maybe Trent comes back to top it off.

You are seriously going to fall in love with Tre Jones, Rome. I am convinced he is the most impactful freshman in America next year after watching him lately. He is Tyus who can defend.
I have no doubt Tre is going to be awesome. And I think the team will be better than this year. However, you're still talking about five freshman in Coach K-led defense.

I find it hard to believe this would not be a point of emphasis in practice. To me, not blocking out is consistent with the sloppy turnovers in most February games, the lack of hustle for loose balls, etc. It seems to be more of a concentration/effort issue on the players' end, not something that has not been emphasized by coaches.
Look at the defensive rebounding % ranking over the last several seasons:

2018 - 30.1% (235)
2017 - 29.8% (208)
2016 - 34.5% (330)
2015 - 30.2% (125)
2014 - 31.3% (167)
2013 - 32.3% (186)
2012 - 31.8% (189)

And Duke has only been in the top 150 in defensive turnover rate in one of those seasons (2013 was #146 at forcing turnovers). I always blamed the overplay man scheme and Coach K's preference for small ball and forcing turnovers for Duke's perpetual lack of defensive rebounding. But here we are playing two bigs and backing off the perimeter much more than ever, and Duke still doesn't rebound on defense. This season it's mainly an issue with the guards/wings. The bigs' defensive rebounding has been good to great depending on who is out there, but our 1-3 are not rebounding. And like I said, you watch for it specifically and you'll see play after play where the shot goes up, and everyone just watches. Guys like Bagley, Carter, and Bolden are big and athletic to rebound well without putting a body on someone, but IMO it's a coaching issue that needs to be addressed.

Look at the defensive rebounding % ranking over the last several seasons:

2018 - 30.1% (235)
2017 - 29.8% (208)
2016 - 34.5% (330)
2015 - 30.2% (125)
2014 - 31.3% (167)
2013 - 32.3% (186)
2012 - 31.8% (189)

And Duke has only been in the top 150 in defensive turnover rate in one of those seasons (2013 was #146 at forcing turnovers). I always blamed the overplay man scheme and Coach K's preference for small ball and forcing turnovers for Duke's perpetual lack of defensive rebounding. But here we are playing two bigs and backing off the perimeter much more than ever, and Duke still doesn't rebound on defense. This season it's mainly an issue with the guards/wings. The bigs' defensive rebounding has been good to great depending on who is out there, but our 1-3 are not rebounding. And like I said, you watch for it specifically and you'll see play after play where the shot goes up, and everyone just watches. Guys like Bagley, Carter, and Bolden are big and athletic to rebound well without putting a body on someone, but IMO it's a coaching issue that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for putting that together - there are a couple of years with a small ball lineup (2014 & 16) but even the 2016 team minus Amile was one of the better defensive rebounding squads in that time frame (I'm assuming their ranking is 130, please correct me if I'm wrong).

I really have no way of proving you wrong about this, so I cannot dismiss your point about coaching. It is only from my view that it really seems to be a focus/effort problem. It is perplexing that the last 2 seasons have been such shitty defensive rebounding teams.

I really have no way of proving you wrong about this, so I cannot dismiss your point about coaching. It is only from my view that it really seems to be a focus/effort problem. It is perplexing that the last 2 seasons have been such shitty defensive rebounding teams.
I agree with you that it is a focus/effort problem. But I think it needs to be harped on in practice so much that the players can't help but do it in games. And there should be in-game consequences if a player checks out.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom