Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Yeah, but he shouldn't be put in that position anyway. Giles on Berry likely means Kennard on Hicks or Meeks or Bradley, so it was all but a guaranteed bucket anyway. UNC was very aware of what we were going to do, and were coached to respond to it.

“I set screens for Joel, Justin, any perimeter player and they switch. They’ve got a big and I’ve got a little, so we’ve got to take advantage of either one,” Hicks said. “If I didn’t get it, I’d just get out of the way, and then they have a bigger guy on them. Sometimes switching helps, but then again, it just puts people in a bad situation too.”

Shocking, this new Roy Williams (is Hubert or Sean May telling him this shit?)

Which brings me back to my soapbox on how we're defending ballscreens with this roster...

Again, we held them below their average OR%. Looked a lot worse because there were possessions where they played volleyball with it but we got the ball. Anyway, we should have rebounded better.

aiw said:
Again, we held them below their average OR%. Looked a lot worse because there were possessions where they played volleyball with it but we got the ball. Anyway, we should have rebounded better.

"Grab the ball"--AIW

rhfarmer said:
aiw said:

"Grab the ball"--AIW

With verve.

Big Ten tournament bracket:

C6NCMGbUYAALXPg.jpg

NW really needs to find a way to win that first game. These games are in D.C., so I wouldn't expect much of a crowd for either team in that first game. However, the crowd will be all Maryland in the Friday night game. NW should get a 3-point bump for being fresh while the opponent is on a back to back. Would be a huge choke if they lose this and miss the NCAAT. If the opponent is Rutgers, it would be as big a choke as the 2017 Duke basketball season.

Latest Lunardi update has NW as a tourney lock. Just playing for seeding at this point.

What was with the timeout with 8 seconds left on the clock with about a minute left in the game? That almost cost us the win.

Same strategy every time by Brey. It's the blueprint for beating Duke with a huge talent gap. Let them shoot all the 2s they want. K will oblige.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were within one possession in the end while allowing 26-36 from 2, with a much worse team. You have to give up something against Duke and it should always be 2s. Fortunately for Duke, college coaches don't really look at what other coaches are doing to have success. They're stubborn empire builders who do everything their own way, so no one will follow Brey on this.

I thought it was a brilliant strategy. ND even shoots 30% from 3 and it's a win. It's why I wanted to play FSU, cause they would have just put their laboring big guys in the paint and given us all day to shoot. And hell we got owned on the glass anyways.

I thought K's coaching throughout this tournament was fantastic. Tonight I was especially impressed with the decision to get Grayson out of there when he was losing his cool and the decision to use the press. I was surprised ND didn't play more aggressively against it. They could have had some layups.

Collins? Safe bet that whomever Illinois actually has in mind is much worse. I don't think he would prove any more at Illinois than at Northwestern, in terms of Duke readiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicago Tribune on whether Collins will leave Northwestern:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... story.html

The topic of retaining Collins is sensitive enough that Collins and athletic director Jim Phillips deferred questions until season's end. That's standard practice for Phillips, who successfully retained football coach Pat Fitzgerald after Michigan went after him with a potential $3 million-a-year offer before hiring Brady Hoke in 2011.

Phillips believes Northwestern is a top-10 job, a so-called destination job, because it is an elite private school near a world-class city in a top-notch conference. On top of that, the school is in the process of spending about $400 million to transform its athletics facilities. The multipurpose lakefront facility and the renovated Welsh-Ryan Arena will open in 2018.

Collins tells them: This is where I will be. I grew up less than 30 minutes from Evanston and returned to make this my home. There is nowhere else for me to go.

That even includes Duke, where he spent 17 years playing and coaching under Mike Krzyzewski.

Collins has told friends the beauty of Northwestern is there's no shadow to live under. The program is his baby.

He's well aware of all the failed attempts to succeed John Wooden, Bob Knight and Dean Smith. Bill Guthridge replaced Smith, guided two of three North Carolina teams to the Final Four and still took heat before retiring.

Guess we're stuck with Capel. Collins isn't leaving Northwestern for 2-3x as much money at Duke. Too much shadow.

Oh, God. Will this be our Roy at Kansas situation? Because I don't know that I could hold up through our version of the Doh era.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom