Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

I think everyone here wants the next coach to come from outside the Duke family, but we’re realistic that it’s probably not going to happen.
Yeah I'd be shocked if it's not Capel. I love him but don't think he's an elite coach. I want a great Xs and Os guy who can adjust.

Maybe Capel has learned a lot since he was patrolling the court in Norman.

Considering my lasting memory of Capel's interim stint last year is losing to NC State at home as like 23 point favorites, I am not convinced he has learned much.

Kentucky is 17-6. Duke is 19-4. Judging by recruiting rankings, both are miserable failures.

I have gained an incredible amount of respect for things like experience, continuity, leadership, etc. I would have dismissed these three as subordinate to raw talent as recently as a year ago. Pretty obvious to me now that you need the right mixture.

Coach made the decision to go the all-out-OAD route and he is reaping the consequences. We will either view losses like UVA and St. John's as growing pains on the way to ultimate March success or as harbingers of the inevitable early exit to which we will succumb. That is TBD. I have seen Duke teams make tremendous improvements before.

Today was a total clunker, but I ride with Five-Time (be careful what you wish for when wanting him to retire or be fired; none of the branches of his coaching tree coach defense, and they don't have the brand and aura of Coach K)

I think the best hire Duke could possibly make to succeed Coach K is LeVelle Moton from NC Central. Anyone from the K tree will be a cheap imitation. Hurley, Collins, Wojo, Capel, Dawkins, Brey- no thanks.

Make an inspired hire.

LeVelle Moton would be the definition of an "inspired hire", alright.

It’s not like this is any secret. Greece figured it out back in 2006, but it took American college coaches a few more years.

K's strategy seems to be "have so much talent that it doesn't matter how badly we defend the pick and roll" and/or "hope we get lucky in the tournament and play no team with decent pick and roll guards."

Bennett would probably be a monster at Duke. I think he plays that garbage offense because he has too. Give him blue chips and I think he'd put out a better product.

I don't think so, his offense and his defense are meant to feed off each other, they are the two part of a grindstone that grinds the opposition down. Their defense doesn't work as well unless their offense put you through your paces for 30 sec on each defensive possession.

Yeah I agree with that, plus it's far from a given that Bennett would even want or land better talent at Duke. Kids don't want to play defense, and Bennett doesn't want the ones who aren't going to be devoted to his way for four years.

Yeah I agree with that, plus it's far from a given that Bennett would even want or land better talent at Duke. Kids don't want to play defense, and Bennett doesn't want the ones who aren't going to be devoted to his way for four years.

Kids don't want to play defense because we really are a disgusting culture that rewards style, entertainment, and decadence over substance. The only good defensive plays that make Sportscenter are blocks that involve absurd athleticism.

It's up to the coach to choose the right players to fit his coaching style. Coach K has the enviable ability to pick and choose from elite high school recruits every year, and these are the teams he makes. Outside of the brilliant run of the 2015 team, Duke has underwhelmed since the 2010 title. People can't keep blaming the players.

Based on our best poster, Axes, comment about the UK boards, I took a look to see how they were doing over there. It's almost all variations on that tweet.

Apparently Cal also called his team out publicly, said they were all playing selfish, wouldn't pass the ball, and wouldn't listen to him. He's fed up, doesn't know what the solution is, blah, blah, blah. He also said they may very well lose the next eight games.
The RR posters are almost universally proclaiming Cal's OAD experiment a failure, are blaming Cal for recruiting so many OADs who have one foot out the door, leaving them every year with minimal returning leadership, and the fans are expressing great misgivings about next season. It looked like us, but with far inferior quality of posters, of course.
In one unintentionally hilarious post, someone recommended (not sarcastically) that Cal "take a page out of Coach K's book" and take away all of the players UK gear. Because that apparently solved all of our problems, I guess.
Rupp Rafters is Bizarro TD-F.

Bennett would probably be a monster at Duke. I think he plays that garbage offense because he has too. Give him blue chips and I think he'd put out a better product.

But the defense wouldn't be as dominant as it is now. It would still be good, don't get me wrong, but when packline teams try to increase tempo and open it up offensively the packline becomes less effective. The packline doesn't work best when it's just what you do defensively. You need to (in a way) incorporate it entire your offense- everything you do needs to be centered around helping your defense in order for packline to be most effective.

This is why Bennett has more success than anyone, because every year, every game, regardless of talent level and personnel, they run the mover/blocker, grind it out offensively, run opposing defenses through endless screens and make them really work for it defensively. It's like a mental grind, and teams just wind up becoming incredibly frustrated even if they don't even realize it. Arizona and Xavier run the packline, but their offenses (UofA more than Xavier) don't compliment the packline so the defense isn't as successful. Sean Miller used to do it but not since he started getting more talent.

I like Bennett, but I don't really want him at Duke. Maybe i'm crazy or maybe I'm spoiled but it's just an unappealing brand of basketball to me, and with the talent Duke gets I don't really want to go in that direction.

I am still on the board the Chris Holtmann train, I think that's the guy.

I am still on the board the Chris Holtmann train, I think that's the guy.
I've been incredibly impressed with Holtmann. Absolutely no one expected anything from Oh St. this year. If he can turn Andrew Dakich into a contributing member of a top team, that's some black magic.

Good
- notwithstanding a couple of games, I feel the bench has been used appropriately thus far.
- some defensive improvement evident up until SJU

Bad
- going to the M2M overplay well to start off the 1st 1/3 of the season, when it was clear it was not working
- massive overall defensive regression after some improvements
- failure to get through to Bagley in particular on some seemingly basic defensive concepts
- no clear strategy as to how Grayson should be used on offense
- minor comment: although I do not really dig calling the players out publicly; keep that stuff in the locker room. Always appreciated K would stay away from that stuff; that is Roy territory.

There is some things we see that have little to do with coaching, and more to do with individual effort, IMO. Tre making poor decision after poor decision (that 5 second call was fucking unforgivable)...Bagley making lazy passes. They are playing like kids, not men.

Chris Holtmann just beat Purdue on the road. Please let him replace K. He took over a dumpster fire at OSU and he's 20-5 and 11-1 in the B1G with wins over (at the time) #1 Michigan State and @ #3 Purdue. That team has improved so much since the beginning of the season when they weren't even expected to make the NCAA Tournament.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom