Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

How many seasons in a row can a coach watch his system get abused by a simple ball screen before figuring it out?

What happened to sinking below the screen and keeping a shot blocker at the rim (as demonstrated against WF)?

Can't do that against a big that can pick and pop. Johnson and Maye just popped instead of rolling.

Thanks - my bad for not considering this. What is the correct response? Just fight through the screen? Have the guards switch out?

They tried to switch it which is fine, but Carolina did a good job of keeping their offense moving after the screen and Duke got lost multiple times in terms of who is guarding who. Not surprising for a young team that likely doesn't communicate well. Switching is tough when you aren't used to it and don't talk.

Pretty clear change in offensive philosophy post NC State game. They've neutered Grayson's offensive game, by forcing him to run the point and be a playmaker while changing the offense to a high-low scheme. The pace has been slower, Carter's usage has skyrocketed while Allen's has plummeted. Trent has done well with Allen handling the ball more but the change has also hurt Bagley's game. Bagley isn't getting that cleared out side as much and isn't getting a two man game with Grayson anymore. Duval also is struggling in a more structured, stagnant offense. There is no more screening for the guards. Trent is thriving because Allen "the playmaker" is finding him. Too bad Allen can't pass to himself.

One of the stupider things Duke did all game was use Bagley to set a ball screen when Pinson was on Bagley. Pinson is a G/F. He can switch or help and recover pretty damn well. Maye’s man should have been the screener every time.

One of the stupider things Duke did all game was use Bagley to set a ball screen when Pinson was on Bagley. Pinson is a G/F. He can switch or help and recover pretty damn well. Maye’s man should have been the screener every time.

I agree in theory, but the only purpose of those ball screens were to open up a high-low post up game. They weren’t trying to drive or hit the roller out of those

Which is what I’m saying. They’re setting pointless screens instead of something that might accomplish a mismatch.

Crazy thing is the Duke defense as bas as it seems isn’t really all that bad. They have too many stretches where they just give up easy basket after easy basket, but they are 33rd nationally in effective field goal percentage defense. That’s nearly as good as the 2010 and 2011 defenses. The problem is the defensive rebounding and inability to force turnovers is giving the opponent too many opportunities to score. If they can just get a little tougher to rebounds and loose balls, the defense probably is good enough to go deep in March. The problem is that high powered offense has fallen off and is just really good not necessarily elite anymore.

I know that this may sound crazy because we all used to shit on Roy all the time, but Roy has been running circles around K recently. Duke being outrebounded by 20 considering each team's personnel is disgusting and is a reflection of coaching more than anything else.

Once again, Duke puts out a defense that is awful at forcing turnovers but also sucks at rebounding. You would think that would be hard to do with elite talent, but this is like 5 or so seasons in a row.

I know that this may sound crazy because we all used to shit on Roy all the time, but Roy has been running circles around K recently. Duke being outrebounded by 20 considering each team's personnel is disgusting and is a reflection of coaching more than anything else.

I think Roy outcoached K tonight, but not because of the rebounding. Duke hasn’t defensive rebounded well all year, Carolina has offensive rebounded well. Duke didn’t adjust their offense at the half, UNC adjusted their defense and Duke had 16 points after 13 minutes of the half because they tried the same strategy they used in the first half.

Duke did win 2 out of 3 last year and 13 of 18 before tonight, I’d hardly call that running circles for Ole Roy.

They can't run a successful ball screen on offense so it's no surprise they can't guard one on defense.

How can you guard something when you never see it in practice? The ball screen, ambushing Duke since 2006.

Obviously K is coasting and Capel is somewhat clueless, but whither Scheyer?

That is the most disappointing thing about the recent lack of team development. Jon had a better feel for the game than anyone I've ever seen. I find it unlikely he no longer possesses that understanding, so he is either being totally ignored, is unwilling to express himself, or is unable to get through to the players. I hope it is the first.

Have you noticed how bad Duke has been coming out of the half, especially in neutral/road games? Let's take a look at Duke's scoring margin in the first ten minutes of the second half in games neutral/road games against top 100 teams:

MSU: - 5
Texas: - 2
Florida: - 13
Indiana: - 5
BC: + 3
NC State: - 3
Miami: - 13
Wake: - 3
St. John's: - 16 (lol)
UNC: - 11

Duke is a combined MINUS 68 points in the ten road/neutral top 100 games in the "third quarter." In quarters 1, 2 and 4 (and OT), they are a combined PLUS 93.

At halftime, don't say anything. Just let them look at Twitter and Instagram or a take a walk around the arena.

I (regretfully) am watching some of the game. UNC out worked us at almost every turn. It's really incredible how much more of a 'team' than they are than us. The talent level between the two teams is actually quite large. They do all of the intangibles well compared to Duke.

It's just weird because just based on the eye test we are a poorly coached team, which you wouldn't expect from a 5 time national championship coach with 3 gold medals. We look like one of those teams that has a couple of 5-star teams (like LSU or Washington a couple of times) that clearly has enough talent to be a good NCAA Tournament team but instead just look like a discombobulated mess. This is Duke now and we've been trending this way for a while. He actually did a good job with the 2016 team, but 2014, 2017 and 2018 are disasters when put into context of the roster and 2015 won it all so it counts but that was pretty fluky.

IMO he's had more luck towards the end of his career than Bob Knight, but their declines are rather similar.

It is unbelievable how bad these guys have become. Scheyer should be looking for a way out before his reputation is too damaged to get a good job.

Is this the first game where we didn't play a single possession of man?

I hope we just give up on m2m completely and only play zone from now on. If they actually practiced it, they might eventually not suck at rotations and give up so many open jumpers.

Also, were we playing some kind of weird 1-3-1 today with a guard in the middle? It was like a 1-1-3, almost.

Georgia Tech is ranked 277th in three point percentage. Will be interesting to see to what degree they use that defense against a very good three point shooting team, like Virginia Tech on Wed.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom