Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2018-2019 Discussion

Didn't get to watch the game today. Sounds like a lot of injuries? What happened to Jones?

Jones likely suffered a broken clavicle and Gilbert appeared to hurt his leg badly. Season is probably over, unless Jones recovers as quickly as Boone did from his collarbone injury in 2013.

Wonder if we'll run with Harris until Jones is back or if we give any consideration to burning Holmberg's redshirt.

Edit: Or giving Katrenick a look I suppose. None of them are good options but the latter two seem better suited to the offense.

Holmberg might be the best backup but not sure he’s ready

I believe Daniel Jones is out for the season, and he may can be ready by November but it will be too late to make a difference. Duke will now be underdogs in every game left except the NCCU game.

I dunno. From what I've seen so far, I still think 5 wins is the floor without Jones.

No faith in Quentin "Hungry" Harris?

Harris is a dual QB with run first capabilities, which isn't what DJ was doing to get two big wins against legit bowl projected teams. Jones was a captain and this was his team. Not that I don't think Harris is capable. I just think that all the hype around this team was centered on Daniel Jones and the defense. SMH at the expectations for this season unless Harris or somebody else can throw darts downfield on a dime. Daniel Jones is the real deal. I hope he still has another season at Duke to show what he can do. He's a definite NFL style QB and I just don't see Harris doing what DJ can do. I hope he proves me wrong!

How are we only 2-point underdogs at Baylor? How bad is Baylor? We have an offense that won't complete more than 10 forward passes all game.

On one hand, 12-30. On the other hand, the biggest passes were absolute dimes, so maybe the issue isn't talent. So maybe there is hope, because the rest of the team is the best Duke team of our lifetimes, since none of us are jacmac

Part of the low completion percentage was the play calling, I think. Cut talked about letting it fly with Harris during the week and not playing safe. We threw on first down way more than I expected, especially in the first quarter when Harris's nerves were the worst, presumably to keep Baylor (and future opponents) from keying on the run too much. That was before he got into a rhythm and it generally meant that he was throwing out of bad situations. But I don't think we need to be as extreme as throwing the ball 30 times a game in a game we led the entire way to accomplish that. Then again, it clearly worked, so maybe we'll keep letting him sling it.

Either way, Harris played well. His limitations are clear enough, but he played safe and some of those throws were excellent. He's certainly good enough that he won't submarine the possibility of a 6-6 season, which is the important thing under the circumstances.

With UVA and UNC on the schedule, 6 wins is all but guaranteed at this point

It’s weird that Duke really has nothing to play for even if Jones comes back for VT. Miami doesn’t play Clemson and gets Duke at home, so they seem locked in ahead of Duke in the division, which makes Duke beating VT meaningless. 6-6 is all there is, if we assume there’s no way Duke both wins at Miami and beats VT.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom