Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2019 Version!

As the Duke football season emits it's final whimper for 2019, we should all be reminded of our lofty goals for the Duke football program under Cut.

"There's no way we shouldn't be able to compete with Stanford", we said.

"There's no way we shouldn't be able to compete with Northwestern", we said.

"There's no way we shouldn't be able to compete with Vanderbilt," we said.

Well...
Stanford 4-8
Northwestern 4-8
Vanderbilt 3-9

Duke 5-7

Savor this new reality.

Cut is the true Master who has elevated the Duke program to heights not seen in decades.

As the Duke football season emits it's final whimper for 2019, we should all be reminded of our lofty goals for the Duke football program under Cut.

"There's no way we shouldn't be able to compete with Stanford", we said.

"There's no way we shouldn't be able to compete with Northwestern", we said.

"There's no way we shouldn't be able to compete with Vanderbilt," we said.

Well...
Stanford 4-8
Northwestern 4-8
Vanderbilt 3-9

Duke 5-7

Savor this new reality.

Cut is the true Master who has elevated the Duke program to heights not seen in decades.

It feels great to be the tallest midget for a change

Feeling bored, so I decided to rank Cut's 12 seasons at Duke. Enjoy my useless list!

1. 2013 - 10-4/6-2 - the magical, breakthrough season culminating in a Coastal title. Only wish we'd held on against A&M and Manziel in the Chicken Bowl.

2. 2014 - 9-4/5-3 - another mostly enjoyable year. Raced out to an 8-1 start, but choked to VT and got blasted by UNC in November. Should've repeated as Coastal champs.

3. 2012 - 6-7/3-5 - The UNC win was epic, and it was awesome to snap the 18 year Bowl drought. Losing 5 in a row, including the horrific Belk Bowl collapse sucked, but it was clear the program was on the rise.

4. 2015 - 8-5/4-4 - Year started out well, but the Miami lateral debacle killed it and arguably the Cutcliffe era as a whole. Ranked fourth for snapping the 55 year bowl win drought, and achieving a .500 ACC finish.

5. 2018 - 8-5/3-5 - Came into the year with hopes of competing for the Coastal with a veteran team, but injuries and poor coaching dashed those. Winning @ Northwestern and Baylor b2b was nice, but the horror of 59-7 vs Wake still lingers.

6. 2009 - 5-7/3-5 - I'll always have a soft spot for Thad's senior team. Loss to Richmond sucked and we faded down the stretch, but it was a solid season. I'll never forget thrashing State in Raleigh.

7. 2017 - 7-6/3-5 - Started 4-0, including a destruction of a 10-win Northwestern and a victory @ UNC, but the 6-game losing streak filled with lifeless play was brutal. At least we rallied to make a bowl, I guess.

8. 2008 - 4-8/1-7 - Cut put a respectable product on the field for the first time since the early 1990s in his first season in Durham. Won @ Vanderbilt and snapped a 25+ game ACC losing streak.

9. 2016 - 4-8/1-7 - Wins @ Notre Dame and vs top 15 UNC were memorable, but this was a rough year, and signaled the end of Cut's peak at Duke.

10. 2019 - 5-7/3-5 - Smacking VT in Blacksburg was amazing, but the choke to Pitt and the halfback pass disaster against UNC destroyed the season. Lots of miserable blowouts too, including 49-6 vs dreadful Syracuse.

11. 2010 - 3-9/1-7 - Completely forgettable season.

12. 2011 - 3-9/1-7 - Ditto. I remember having serious doubts about Cutcliffe by this year.

Last edited:
Good list, CMonJr. I only have one personal change. Objectively it doesn’t sense, but I would have the 2012 season #2 just because of the magical feeling through that UNC game. I had never experienced that as a Duke football fan.

Good list, CMonJr. I only have one personal change. Objectively it doesn’t sense, but I would have the 2012 season #2 just because of the magical feeling through that UNC game. I had never experienced that as a Duke football fan.

Yeah, I can definitely see the argument for having 2012 at #2. That win over UNC will always be my favorite one of Cut's tenure. Only truly "memorable" win from 2014 was blasting GT in Atlanta in a game that lasted like 5 hours due to a thunderstorm. That GT team finished the year ranked in the top 10, so this was probably Cut's "best" win at Duke. Time for a "top 10 wins of the Cut era" list???

Last edited:
Yep, beating GT 5 out of the last 6 has been pretty satisfying. Last year the GT fan I went with left the game and me at the 3rd fumble recovery- Ha Ha

I went to the Notre Dame game which was awesome! It has to be an all-time Top 5 win for Duke,

That Wake blow out in the rain was the worst game I've ever attended and l left at the half.

That Miami lateral KO return game was the most pissed I've been at a Duke game!

I love how y'all are writing the obituary of the Cut era while Cut is still coaching.

I love how y'all are writing the obituary of the Cut era while Cut is still coaching.

Cut could fire Roper and hire Peyton Manning QB coach and OC, wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit, THAT would be the shit! Right now NOBODY is attending games, *NOBODY*

Yeah there is zero energy around the program currently. Bringing Roper back as OC would be coaching malpractice.

I feel Cut's tenure can be divided into three four-year "eras" so far:

The Early Years (2008-2011)

15-33 overall, 6-26 in ACC play, no bowl appearances

The Peak (2012-2015)

33-20 overall, 18-14 in ACC play, Coastal title, 4 bowl appearances

The Decline (2016-2019)

24-26 overall, 10-22 in ACC play, 2 bowl appearances

I feel Cut's tenure can be divided into three four-year "eras" so far:

The Early Years (2008-2011)

15-33 overall, 6-26 in ACC play, no bowl appearances

The Peak (2012-2015)

33-20 overall, 18-14 in ACC play, Coastal title, 4 bowl appearances

The Decline (2016-2019)

24-26 overall, 10-22 in ACC play, 2 bowl appearances

The way the ACC is structured in football there is just no excuse to not get to a bowl game

3-5 is Cut's comfort zone. Normally that's good enough for a Toilet Bowl, but with Alabama and ND on the schedule, it wasn't this year.

3-5 is Cut's comfort zone. Normally that's good enough for a Toilet Bowl, but with Alabama and ND on the schedule, it wasn't this year.

UNC-Charlotte made a bowl this season, hell they didn't have football until 2013

It wasn't hard to understand Duke's season once you see the year end stats among ACC teams.

Duke averaged 25.3 points a game(Ranked 11th among ACC) while giving up 29.2 (Ranked 8th among ACC)

Even though Cut has significantly upgraded the talent level at Duke, it is shocking how few draft picks he's produced. I believe we are last in the ACC by a wide margin during his tenure.

SDE Highest rated recruit in 2017-Tahj Rice to transfer, enters his name in the transfer portal

Yet another four-star recruit we were excited to land who went on to do absolutely fucking nothing in Durham.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom