Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2020

This week Duke gets another Bye week as the Virginia game was moved when the UVA/VaTech game was postponed earlier this season. So Duke has three games remaining of their 2020 season.

Wake Forest Nov. 21st
at Georgia Tech Nov. 28th
Florida State Dec. 3rd

Yep, Duke should be 2-9 by the end of the year.

GT and FSU are beatable, they may be even worse than us, somehow. 0-20 against the Seminoles all time, I would fucking love to get a win over them.

GT and FSU are beatable, they may be even worse than us, somehow. 0-20 against the Seminoles all time, I would fucking love to get a win over them.

I believe Duke could win all three. The problem is, and it was so apparent in the UNC game, that Duke has just quit. Given up. They just don't give a damn about this season anymore and are just going thru the motions. Again, they are uninspired, which is a loser mentality. How does that happen against your biggest rival on national TV? Unreal. SMH

I am not an old man, but I am convinced that even if I live to 100, I will never get to see Duke beat FSU in football. This was the year it had a chance of happening.

30 turnovers for the year and in comes Miami. I hope I can get a root canal appointment so I don't have to witness it. Miami will be favored by -56 points most likely.

Lol @ FSU making us travel to Tallahassee after canceling their trip to Durham. This season has been awful, but I want this game so badly.

Now that the season is mercifully over, it's time to update my year-by-year rankings of the Cutcliffe era. Hint: Scroll all the way to the bottom to find 2020's entry!

1. 2013 - 10-4/6-2 - the magical, breakthrough season culminating in a Coastal title. Only wish we'd held on against A&M and Manziel in the Chicken Bowl.

2. 2014 - 9-4/5-3 - another mostly enjoyable year. Raced out to an 8-1 start, but choked to VT and got blasted by UNC in November. Should've repeated as Coastal champs.

3. 2012 - 6-7/3-5 - The UNC win was epic, and it was awesome to snap the 18 year Bowl drought. Losing 5 in a row, including the horrific Belk Bowl collapse sucked, but it was clear the program was on the rise.

4. 2015 - 8-5/4-4 - Year started out well, but the Miami lateral debacle killed it and arguably the Cutcliffe era as a whole. Ranked fourth for snapping the 55 year bowl win drought, and achieving a .500 ACC finish.

5. 2018 - 8-5/3-5 - Came into the year with hopes of competing for the Coastal with a veteran team, but injuries and poor coaching dashed those. Winning @ Northwestern and Baylor b2b was nice, but the horror of 59-7 vs Wake still lingers.

6. 2009 - 5-7/3-5 - I'll always have a soft spot for Thad's senior team. Loss to Richmond sucked and we faded down the stretch, but it was a solid season. I'll never forget thrashing State in Raleigh.

7. 2017 - 7-6/3-5 - Started 4-0, including a destruction of a 10-win Northwestern and a victory @ UNC, but the 6-game losing streak filled with lifeless play was brutal. At least we rallied to make a bowl, I guess.

8. 2008 - 4-8/1-7 - Cut put a respectable product on the field for the first time since the early 1990s in his first season in Durham. Won @ Vanderbilt and snapped a 25+ game ACC losing streak.

9. 2016 - 4-8/1-7 - Wins @ Notre Dame and vs top 15 UNC were memorable, but this was a rough year, and signaled the end of Cut's peak at Duke.

10. 2019 - 5-7/3-5 - Smacking VT in Blacksburg was amazing, but the choke to Pitt and the halfback pass disaster against UNC destroyed the season. Lots of miserable blowouts too, including 49-6 vs dreadful Syracuse.

11. 2010 - 3-9/1-7 - Completely forgettable season.

12. 2011 - 3-9/1-7 - Ditto. I remember having serious doubts about Cutcliffe by this year.

13. 2020 - 2-9/1-9 - Roof-esque season that was a total dumpster fire from start to finish. Easily the worst year of Cut's tenure, and hopefully the last. Destroyed in every game save the two we won, including embarrassing defeats to awful GT and FSU teams, 56-24 to Mack, and 48-0 to Miami. Coughed the ball up a staggering 39 times.

Last edited:
11-31 in the ACC and 26-35 overall over the last 5 years, while missing bowls in 3 of them, are the most relevant stats, IMO. Cut has been on a downward trajectory for a while, and he finally hit rock bottom in 2020.

Similarly other schools have moved on.

Former Head Coach at Texas A&M and most recently at University of Arizona, Kevin Sumlin, was fired for a record of 9-20 in the last three seasons. His salary was $3.5 Million a year.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom