Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke vs. Notre Dame September 12th, 2:30pm

Inveigle

All American
Football Friday // Traditions // Game Day // University of Notre Dame

Last time Duke traveled to South Bend I was there to watch Daniel Jones at age 19 throw for 290 yards and three TD's while completing 75% of his throws (24-32) for a 38-35 victory over the Irish. Since then, Duke missed a bowl game last season and got blown out by Notre Dame at Wallace Wade. Plus we're dealing with a Pandemic, traveling for a game in South Bend again, AND there will be limited seating- 20% for the game.

Last season was a dismal finish for Duke Football. It was a tough stretch towards the end of the season, starting with a blowout loss to Orange Bowl participant, Virginia, rising North Carolina, and Notre Dame and playing spoiler to Miami’s Bowl bid was all the Blue Devils had by the end of the season. In the end, the Blue Devils finished 5-7 and they wouldn’t go to a bowl game.

What led to missing a bowl game for just the second time since 2012? Well, they were 110th in passing offense, and 79th in rushing offense. This led to just 25.3 points per game, also known as, not enough points per game.

On the other hand, their defense was legitimately good. They did allow more points on average than they scored, 29.2, which explains the losing record. Duke’s true strength came from being disruptive on defense.

Duke will need to continue to be disruptive, and aggressive on defense in 2020. The plan is to start the attack at defensive end. Victor Dimukeje and Chris Rumph II will lead the charge here. Both Dimukeje and Rumph found themselves on All-ACC teams in 2019, and combined for 15 sacks. Their ability to press quarterbacks should lead to forced and errant throws, which will in turn open things up for a secondary that plans on attacking mistakes.

This ability to force opponent’s mistakes, through aggression, is how Duke will have to beat more talented opponents. The Blue Devil’s need to steal possessions.

On offense, Chase Brice will be taking over for the Blue Devils. If that name sounds familiar, it’s because he was Trevor Lawrence’s backup for their National Championship run in 2018. When Lawrence went down against Syracuse, it was Brice who had to save the day.

After Brice, though, the cupboard is bare. Noah Gray, a senior tight end, will likely be the Blue Devil’s leading receiver. He had 51 catches and 3 touchdowns last season. Meanwhile, Deon Jackson is a senior at running back and last season rushed for 641 yards. That was down from 2018 when he rushed for 847 yards.Duke also brought in talented offensive lineman Devery Hamilton, a transfer from Stanford.

There are surely some question marks about the defense, but there is a lot of talent in defensive ends Victor Dimukeje and Chris Rumph. That group will be fun to watch against a loaded group of Notre Dame offensive linemen.

Prediction- Notre Dame wins 35-17

Very excited for this. Thank you for the write up!

I have a couple questions since you seem to follow the team more closely than I do.

1. Is Devery Hamilton the starter at left tackle? Seems to me that'd be the best place for him. I remember when Harbaugh was recruiting him at Michigan and lost him to Stanford. Was deemed a very big loss.

2. Who will be the starters at WR? I seem to recall Duke landing some really good prospects recently (I don't remember their names but would recognize if I saw)?

3. What do you think is the strength of the defense outside the obvious of Chris Rumph?

Football Friday // Traditions // Game Day // University of Notre Dame

Last time Duke traveled to South Bend I was there to watch Daniel Jones at age 19 throw for 290 yards and three TD's while completing 75% of his throws (24-32) for a 38-35 victory over the Irish. Since then, Duke missed a bowl game last season and got blown out by Notre Dame at Wallace Wade. Plus we're dealing with a Pandemic, traveling for a game in South Bend again, AND there will be limited seating- 20% for the game.

Last season was a dismal finish for Duke Football. It was a tough stretch towards the end of the season, starting with a blowout loss to Orange Bowl participant, Virginia, rising North Carolina, and Notre Dame and playing spoiler to Miami’s Bowl bid was all the Blue Devils had by the end of the season. In the end, the Blue Devils finished 5-7 and they wouldn’t go to a bowl game.

What led to missing a bowl game for just the second time since 2012? Well, they were 110th in passing offense, and 79th in rushing offense. This led to just 25.3 points per game, also known as, not enough points per game.

On the other hand, their defense was legitimately good. They did allow more points on average than they scored, 29.2, which explains the losing record. Duke’s true strength came from being disruptive on defense.

Duke will need to continue to be disruptive, and aggressive on defense in 2020. The plan is to start the attack at defensive end. Victor Dimukeje and Chris Rumph II will lead the charge here. Both Dimukeje and Rumph found themselves on All-ACC teams in 2019, and combined for 15 sacks. Their ability to press quarterbacks should lead to forced and errant throws, which will in turn open things up for a secondary that plans on attacking mistakes.

This ability to force opponent’s mistakes, through aggression, is how Duke will have to beat more talented opponents. The Blue Devil’s need to steal possessions.

On offense, Chase Brice will be taking over for the Blue Devils. If that name sounds familiar, it’s because he was Trevor Lawrence’s backup for their National Championship run in 2018. When Lawrence went down against Syracuse, it was Brice who had to save the day.

After Brice, though, the cupboard is bare. Noah Gray, a senior tight end, will likely be the Blue Devil’s leading receiver. He had 51 catches and 3 touchdowns last season. Meanwhile, Deon Jackson is a senior at running back and last season rushed for 641 yards. That was down from 2018 when he rushed for 847 yards.Duke also brought in talented offensive lineman Devery Hamilton, a transfer from Stanford.

There are surely some question marks about the defense, but there is a lot of talent in defensive ends Victor Dimukeje and Chris Rumph. That group will be fun to watch against a loaded group of Notre Dame offensive linemen.

Prediction- Notre Dame wins 35-17
We will bring a small ruckus while we can and hope college football doesn't get cancelled.

Reactions: aiw
Very excited for this. Thank you for the write up!

I have a couple questions since you seem to follow the team more closely than I do.

1. Is Devery Hamilton the starter at left tackle? Seems to me that'd be the best place for him. I remember when Harbaugh was recruiting him at Michigan and lost him to Stanford. Was deemed a very big loss.

2. Who will be the starters at WR? I seem to recall Duke landing some really good prospects recently (I don't remember their names but would recognize if I saw)?

3. What do you think is the strength of the defense outside the obvious of Chris Rumph?

Here's what they have from Stanford's website on Hamilton.

As a Senior (2019)

• Member of Pac-12 Fall Academic Honor Roll (2019)
• Played in and started the first four games of the season before an injury

As a Junior (2018)
• Pac-12 All-Academic second team
• Played in 11 games and started six
• Made three starts at left guard, two starts at right guard and one start at left tackle
• First career start at left tackle in Sun Bowl win over Pitt (Dec. 31)
• Protected K.J. Costello who finished with second-most passing yards in a season in school history

As a Sophomore (2017)
• Pac-12 All-Academic second team
• 12 games played
• Led Stanford to 656 total yards vs. Rice, seventh-most in school history
• Helped Stanford to 405 rushing yards vs. UCLA, fourth-most in school history
• Helped Bryce Love set single-game school rushing record (301 yards) vs. Arizona State

As a Freshman (2016)
• Did not see action

The Hamilton File
• Played at Gilman (Md.) under head coach Francis Poggi
• Varsity letters in football (4), basketball (3) and track (1)
• Four-star recruit by Scout, Rivals and 247Sports
• Nation's 10th-best offensive tackle by Scout, 22nd by 247Sports, 24th by Rivals
• Maryland's fifth-best recruit by Scout, eighth by 247Sports, 10th by Rivals, 13th by ESPN
• 2015 all-state first team
• 2015 All-Metro first team
• 2015 all-conference
• 2014 all-state second team
• 2014 All-Metro second team
• 2014 all-conference
• Team ranked first in Maryland, 12th nationally in 2015
• Led team to three conference titles
• Full name is Devery Bernard Hamilton Jr.
• Born in Stuttgart, Germany
• Son of Devery and Barbara Hamilton
• Father played basketball at Erie Community
• Two siblings, Rashaan and Katrina
• Moved from Germany to United States in 2007
• Aspired to attend Stanford since fifth grade
• Majoring in communication and philosophy

I have no idea where he will start and play on the OL. They may very well move him around depending on other depth issues.

Duke returns several WR's. Look for starters to be by committee; Eli Pancol, Jalon Calhoun, and Darrell Harding, ALL Sophomores. Duke also has Junior Jake Bobo and Damon Philyaw-Johnson who is a RS Junior.

Duke is hurting at LB which is the most important position on the defense. If they can't stop a team that is the reason why.

The other guy I was thinking of is T.J. Rahming. He apparently graduated two years ago. Time flies.

Having Mark Gilbert back at CB is huge. He was the #37 defensive back in the country coming out of Fayetteville- Sanford High School. Was Pre-Season All-ACC and All-American in 2018. Dislocated his hip simply running across the field against Northwestern. Surgery and recovery 2019. And he's back for his final year as a RS Senior. He can be a significant positive on defense this season.

We need to hire an old likable country guy like Mack Brown and start paying players.

The Duke Football Team has tested every single day this week for Covid. Upon traveling to South Bend each player was given his own room last night. Cut is taking no chances before the kick off.

Excited for this game. Hopefully Brice is good on the big stage! It gets no bigger than mid-Saturday afternoon in front of Touchdown Jesus.

I hate Duke lost but this is a much improved football team than last season. Notre Dame is a Top 10 team.

Some takeaways:

Chase Brice is capable. He was 20-37 for 259 yards and he ran for a TD. He stood in the pocket and took some hits. He threw some passes under duress too but didn't force a ton of throws. He's a better version at QB than last season.

The kicking game is very much improved. Our punter is outstanding. We have a very capable kicker, and the return teams are decent.

The defense isn't bad. Duke has some talent on the DL. We just need more pressure on the opposition's QB with timely blitzes and tackling.

This game came down to really two plays. The fake punt after Duke had stopped ND led to a score and the late TD catch with a Duke defender draped all over him. I don't think most players could have played any better defense. The kid from ND just made the catch in the end zone.

Duke hung with the Irish pretty much the whole game. Duke did look tired on defense which conditioning is due to a lack of practice time. But overall I think Duke is a better team than last season's 5-7 team and that can win some games and be a surprise team in the ACC.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom