Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Gary Trent Jr.

I'd actually like to thank Slap for posting that so I could ponder the following again. In 1990-91, Billy McCaffrey was a part time starter and a member of the all NCAA Tourney Team for the Duke squad that got smoked by UNLV in the Final 4. The following year, he transferred to Vandy while Duke steamrolled to the NCAA title with what is arguably K's greatest team ever

What the fuck was he thinking?

He knew his only path to the NBA was as a PG. Problem was duke already had a pretty good one.

He also went undrafted in 1994, but on a side note I believe he coached at St. Bonaventure

Here's a reality check. You have to go all the way back to 98-99 to find a Duke team with less than 4 losses.
I think we'd have to have Carter back to have less than 4 losses. Maybe it's the home in me but I have higher expectations next year in terms of consistency because K is better with perimeter guys. I don't expect a title because we don't have a senior leader like every other team we've had. As is I'd say were a 5-6 loss team. Adding Trent and EJ I'd still say around 4-5. We have to get Carter back, who I think would be the perfect big for that roster, to be a 2-3 loss team.

I would say you shouldn’t expect a title because no preseason number 1 team should ever expect a title given that the likelihood of winning for the very best team is never even close to 50%.

On reflection, I wish that Duke had run some post up play opportunities for Trent, just so his dad could see him get smacked down repeatedly. Of course, then the complaint would have been "Duke didn't put him in a position to succeed".
Fuck these delusional parents.

By far the most efficient post-up guard in the NBA on non-negligible volume, DeMar DeRozan got 2.4 post-up attempts per game last season. Any other guard approaching that volume was so inefficient they would never be allowed to post-up if their coaches carried more weight than them in decision making for the franchise.

Let’s live in Trent Sr.’s dream world for a minute, where Trent Jr. becomes a 36-minute player in the NBA and joins DeRozan as the two exceptional guards who are heads and shoulders above all others as post-up scorers. Even then, Trent would get around 2-3 post-up possessions per game. He would not be Shaq.

Let’s be realistic and assume Trent does not become as good as Dwayne Wade or Russell Westbrook as a post-up scorer or as an overall face of a franchise with more power than the coach. In that case, Trent will never be allowed to take post-up attempts.

Unfortunately, Duke keeps getting these freshmen with these parents, rather than the ideal Marques Bolden types - grounded players who stay at Duke for multiple years because they recognize their flaws and want to improve their games in ways that could help them get to the NBA. Thank God for Bolden.

I'm not going to criticize Senior until Junior's officially gone.

Maybe Senior is just fucking with the interviewer or playing politics. Maybe he's testing the Duke fans to see their reactions.

If he's being serious, maybe the mother has the final say in all decisions (likely).

#ChessNotCheckers

Maybe he's testing the Duke fans to see their reactions.
If that were the case, he can definitely fuck off. But the reality is that he's just no different than any of the other people that played in the 90s. They refuse to believe that the game has evolved and still think teams from the 90s would smoke today's teams.

Trent with the purple devil emoji.

Possible Bull City emoji?

Is it a farewell to the Bull City and Duke? Is it a subtle announcement that he enjoys being a Duke player and will continue to be in the Bull City?

Also- look at the location.

Also- his profile still lists "Duke University" and he has a link to his roster profile page.

I would really miss him. He is on track for the Allen/Kennard sophmore bump, a 50/40/90 guy on high usage that actually tries on defence.

He would go lotto in a much less competitive draft, likely with 4 of his team mates.

I would really miss him. He is on track for the Allen/Kennard sophmore bump, a 50/40/90 guy on high usage that actually tries on defence.

He would go lotto in a much less competitive draft, likely with 4 of his team mates.

This really could be the Super Team we've all been waiting for if Trent returns.

Duke has never had 5 guys drafted in the 1st round in the same draft.

I think the only Duke team ever with 5 future 1st round picks was 1999 (Langdon, Battier, Maggette, Brand, and Avery)

This really could be the Super Team we've all been waiting for if Trent returns.

Duke has never had 5 guys drafted in the 1st round in the same draft.

I think the only Duke team ever with 5 future 1st round picks was 1999 (Langdon, Battier, Maggette, Brand, and Avery)

'98 had the same swapping Roshown for Corey.

Just purely on the quality of the draft, this year looks a little dicey for Trent.

You've got the bigs--Bagley, Ayton, Bamba, Carter, Jackson, Porter plus Doncic, Bridges (MSU), Bridges (Nova), Knox and Alexander, Trae, Sexton, maybe Lonnie Walker, that I think will go lotto.

Trent is starting to pepper into the first round on some mocks, though.

He's gone. His father is another prima donna asshole who thinks his son was stymied by Duke.
Frankly, I don't care what Trent Sr. says or does. From everything I've read, he's a great father to his son and is only doing what he thinks is best for him. Sr. had crack dealing, drug addicted parents (who made him deal), and he did everything he could to make his son's life better than his. He's wrong about his son's game being stymied at Duke, and we don't know what will come about during his discussions with the coaching staff. But calling him a prima donna asshole is way over the top. If Trent's gone, so be it. I'd take my father's advice over anyone's, if I was in his situation, too.
https://theundefeated.com/features/duke-bound-gary-trent-jr-nba-father-gary-trent-sr/

Last edited:
Fuck right off with your holier-than-thou bullshit.
And, btw, Steve mentioned that Sr. is very direct in his answers but has a non-malignant persona. From the takes I've read on that interview, Sr. could just be stating facts about how Jr. was used but not actually complaining. There's nothing wrong with hyping up your son's talents and saying he's more than what he showed this year. I haven't read the full interview, though, so maybe I'm completely wrong.

Fuck right off with your holier-than-thou bullshit.
And, btw, Steve mentioned that Sr. is very direct in his answers but has a non-malignant persona. From the takes I've read on that interview, Sr. could just be stating facts about how Jr. was used but not actually complaining. There's nothing wrong with hyping up your son's talents and saying he's more than what he showed this year. I haven't read the full interview, though, so maybe I'm completely wrong.

I like rome, but dare I say if Junior comes back, he may have to eat a lot of . . . crow.

I'll see myself out.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom