Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hobbies

Got another guitar yesterday. It's unbelievable for what it cost. Gretsch G5220 Electromatic Jet. Normally $550 before tax, but I paid $350 flat. It's better than the $800 guitar I own.

I've been wanting a Tele or a Les Paul, and this gives me a sound in between. The pickups are a type of humbucker like a Les Paul but they have twang like a Tele. The body is chambered, so it resonates a bit like a semi-hollow. Fret work and intonation are flawless.

20210818_142418.jpg

So the guy I bought the guitar from messaged me right after saying that he'd forgotten to put the pickguard back on. While I don't "need" it, Gretsch pickguards are very difficult to come by. I would like to have it, especially for the resell value if I ever resell it. Anyway, he said he would meet with me. But yesterday, he said he was going to be in church during the hours I said I could meet. That seems plausible. I know Wednesday night church is a thing. But today, he hasn't responded and it's been three hours. Getting very frustrated. I assume he wasn't lying about having the pickguard, otherwise why message me? I assume he just doesn't want to put in effort on something he's not getting extra money for. However, if he thinks I'll just give up he's mistaken.

Got another guitar yesterday. It's unbelievable for what it cost. Gretsch G5220 Electromatic Jet. Normally $550 before tax, but I paid $350 flat. It's better than the $800 guitar I own.

I've been wanting a Tele or a Les Paul, and this gives me a sound in between. The pickups are a type of humbucker like a Les Paul but they have twang like a Tele. The body is chambered, so it resonates a bit like a semi-hollow. Fret work and intonation are flawless.

View attachment 1183

I'd actually eyed one of those exact guitars for a long time but never pulled the trigger. That one looks nice.

Eventually I decided to satisfy my Gretschy itch by buying some TV Jones pickups and putting them in my PRS S2 Starla, which feels awesome but whose stock pickups I was never happy with. I also really like these FilterTron-type pickups – they sound thick but also super clear. Bridge is like a slightly softer, spongier variation of my Tele's bridge pickup, which I like. That guitar is a lot of fun now.

Meanwhile, lately I've put my Helix aside and gotten back into my amps. I bought a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe pedal a few weeks ago and I'm pretty thrilled with it. First drive pedal I've ever owned that I haven't immediately started nitpicking.

I love the Plexi sound. I have a Plexi amp sim that's my go-to when recording heavy guitars. It doesn't have too much bottom end, unlike some other popular high gain options.

Embarrassingly, I'm getting yet another guitar today. Will post later.

Reactions: TS9
I see it's been around a month and a half since I bought my last guitar. So obviously it was time to get another one. Fender Meteora HH. At this point, I might have to admit I'm a Fender guy. I currently own three and have had two others at various points.

To be fair, I may sell one of my others to keep the collection down to a reasonable size. Would of course take that money and immediately flip it back into my home studio.

20211007_142124.jpg

Only thing I don't love about this one is some discoloration on the fretboard. Going to try treating it. It's almost in as rough shape as my deck.

I like that. The other day Jim Root from Slipknot posted pics of this custom Meteora that was built for him. I have no need for a guitar spec'd for metal, but if they put something like this into production I'd be super tempted to buy it. I just think it looks killer.

This truly is a magical instrument. Some instruments just have "it." Or maybe you just connect with them. To be honest, I still haven't connected with the Gretsch in that way. I stand by my statement about it being a very high quality instrument -- it may even sound "better" than the Fender -- but I've been playing the Fender for hours every day whereas I'm only playing the Gretsch to record.

Is the Cary Guitar Center going out of business? I went there today to get a cable and like 60% of the store is on clearance. Or do they just do this every October in expectation of Christmas? If you live in the area, play an instrument, and have money -- unlike me right now -- you might want to take advantage.

Guitar Center went through bankruptcy recently. Their stores are all pretty shabby ATM.

The Raleigh one is a lot better than the Cary one, so I won't be too sad if it does close. As much as I hate Guitar Center sometimes, I wish there was one in Durham. The fact that you can back out of layaways with no penalty -- as well as their flexible return policy -- makes it really easy and risk-free to buy from there.

There's an amazing guitar store in Durham called Sound Pure, but it's all super high end shit I'll never be able to afford.

Still liking that Wampler Plexi @TS9 ?

Yes. Very satisfying sound through both my amps (a Vox and a Fender). Haven’t recorded anything with it yet, but I’m sure it’ll sound great. I like its large gain range, from basically entirely clean to full-on saturation. I have the two-sided “deluxe” version, which gives more knobs and tweakability, but I’ve seen good stuff about the newer mini version as well.

Still liking that Wampler Plexi @TS9 ?

Yes. Very satisfying sound through both my amps (a Vox and a Fender). Haven’t recorded anything with it yet, but I’m sure it’ll sound great. I like its large gain range, from basically entirely clean to full-on saturation. I have the two-sided “deluxe” version, which gives more knobs and tweakability, but I’ve seen good stuff about the newer mini version as well.
Nice. Reverb sent me a $25 off code that I have to use before tomorrow. Debating what pedal to get. Order has to be over $100, so this qualifies. I noticed there's an older regular-sized model in between the mini and the deluxe. Wonder how that stacks up. I think I'll probably just spring for the Deluxe though.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom