Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jack White

So, I have 2 Australian business partners, so I'm going to explain how Aussie slang/nicknames work. The word you want to make a slang word or nickname for first has to be rhymed with another word.

So, for "American", the Aussies start with "Yank", which rhymes with "Septic Tank", which gets shortened to "seppo" which is what Aussies call Americans.
To have a "look", the Aussies say have a "Captain", because "look" rhymes with "Captain Cook" which gets shortened to "Captain"
A "shark" is a "Noah" because shark rhymes with Noah's Ark.

While I do think Crocodile Dunkdee is clever and unbeatable, an Aussie would never work out a nickname that way.

My friend also proposed Cracker Jack, which has nothing to do with Australia to my knowledge, but is funny.

rhfarmer said:
So, I have 2 Australian business partners, so I'm going to explain how Aussie slang/nicknames work. The word you want to make a slang word or nickname for first has to be rhymed with another word.

So, for "American", the Aussies start with "Yank", which rhymes with "Septic Tank", which gets shortened to "seppo" which is what Aussies call Americans.
To have a "look", the Aussies say have a "Captain", because "look" rhymes with "Captain Cook" which gets shortened to "Captain"

While I do think Crocodile Dunkdee is clever and unbeatable, an Aussie would never work out a nickname that way.

This is one of my favorite things I have ever read.

I was coming to post Thunder from Down Under as well

Because this board loves penises

I don't actually think Crocodile Dunkdee is a workable or good nickname, btw. But it makes me laugh every time I think of it.

rhfarmer said:

Isn't this Cockney? I think raspberry is slang for fart because it rhymes with raspberry tarts. Then again, East Londoners were probably a large part of the original penal colony at the antipodes.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom