Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jalen Johnson

Also, Carey was a really good second/co-first fiddle on a team that will end up being remembered as one of our better ones of the OAD era, I think.

25-6 for the team after losing Zion/Barrett/Reddish to the draft was pretty great -- and a team that could end up having had no first-round picks on it at that.

If last year's team had just won at Wake or UVA to clinch a share of the regular season title, I really would have no complaints about it.

I'm a big fan of Carey. Thought he had a great year, and K barely played him. What was he 24 mpg or something?

He is very skilled, and I'm sure he will end up being a solid NBA player.

You guys disappoint me with your attitude toward Jalen. If he stuck it out he could have gone down a legend like Bolden.

• QuinnLaugh
Reactions: aiw
If I had to rank our OADs, starting with Kyrie in 2010... Really how fondly I remember them, more than anything.

1. Zion - King.
2. Tyus - Stones.
3. Winslow - We don't win the title without his lockdown D and 40% 3 pt shooting. Came up huge especially in the Houston regional.
4. Irving - Only getting 11 games out of him will always anger me. Ranked this high due to how elite he was pre-injury.
5. Bagley - I know his defense was awful and his fit questionable, but I enjoyed him a lot. He could rack up those 30 point, 20 rebound statlines.
6. Ingram - He and the 2016 team were fun. No real complaints.
7. Carter - Anchor on the inside. If only he hadn't choked that layup against Kansas.
8. Tatum - Fun player, but his team decidedly wasn't.
9. Carey - THE BIG HOSS!
10. Rivers - The Shot
11. Barrett - Disappointment relative to expectations, but he did have some monster games.
12. Stanley - I enjoyed his ridiculous athleticism.
13. Okafor - Was never a fan of Oakball, though this might be a bit low for him.
14. Parker - He played no defense and 2014 was a disgusting mess, so I don't have many good memories.
15. Trent Jr. - Great shooter who was the missing piece from the 2019 team.
16. Reddish - I was expecting a 38-40% 3 point shooter who could dribble the basketball. Those 3s against FSU and UCF were memorable at least.
17. Duval - Mistake prone player who couldn't shoot, part of the clusterfuck the PG position has been in the non-Jones seasons.
18. Giles - Destroyed by injuries, shame. Always played hard and seemed like a good guy, but one of our least impactful OADs.
19. Frank Jackson - I still forget he played for Duke sometimes.
20. Jalen - Trash.

Hard to believe we've had 20 OADs since 2010.

1) Zion - GOAT
2) Tyus - ONIONS
3) Winslow - DONG
4) Carter - Best defensive freshman ever? Only other arguments would be Winslow or Battier. But Battier was far worse on offense as a freshman than Carter
5) Carey - Surprisingly nimble defensively. Should have shot more threes
6) Okafor - I liked watching his post moves, even if it wasn't our most effective offense
7) Barrett - He still had a very respectable FG%, despite his struggles from three and the line. And his rebounding and passing were a value-add, especially at his position
8) Ingram - Nice all around game. FT shooting kept him from the upper echelon of OAD efficiency
9) Bagley - This may seem low, but I started thinking about him in contrast to Parker and it didn't feel like I could have them super far apart. Same weaknesses and strengths. I dislike one-way players, especially if they don't even try. I felt like at least Okafor gave defensive effort
10) Tatum - Would have been higher if it was just the 2nd half of the season. But his 1st half was kind of underwhelming
11) Rivers - Played really hard and cared a lot
12) Parker - Great offense
13) Stanley - Fun all-around player, but points off for being a 3rd option. Winslow was too, but on a better team
14) Irving - Memory is tainted by the injury and Drederick Irving. Plus, I think people overestimate how good we were with him. We were very good, but we had a few close games. We weren't going undefeated. He played no defense. And low key, Nolan kind of looked like shit beside him
15) Trent - I like him more in the league
16) Jackson - He had a nice efficient season, but he should have stayed
17) Giles - UNC dunk. It's hard not to love this guy, but he just couldn't contribute, sadly
18) Johnson - He still had a few good games. I give him points for efficiency over Reddish
19) Reddish - Had 2-3 great games, but was largely Moops-ish
20) Duval - Good passer

If I had to rank our OADs, starting with Kyrie in 2010... Really how fondly I remember them, more than anything.

1. Zion - King.
2. Tyus - Stones.
3. Winslow - We don't win the title without his lockdown D and 40% 3 pt shooting. Came up huge especially in the Houston regional.
4. Irving - Only getting 11 games out of him will always anger me. Ranked this high due to how elite he was pre-injury.
5. Bagley - I know his defense was awful and his fit questionable, but I enjoyed him a lot. He could rack up those 30 point, 20 rebound statlines.
6. Ingram - He and the 2016 team were fun. No real complaints.
7. Carter - Anchor on the inside. If only he hadn't choked that layup against Kansas.
8. Tatum - Fun player, but his team decidedly wasn't.
9. Carey - THE BIG HOSS!
10. Rivers - The Shot
11. Barrett - Disappointment relative to expectations, but he did have some monster games.
12. Stanley - I enjoyed his ridiculous athleticism.
13. Okafor - Was never a fan of Oakball, though this might be a bit low for him.
14. Parker - He played no defense and 2014 was a disgusting mess, so I don't have many good memories.
15. Trent Jr. - Great shooter who was the missing piece from the 2019 team.
16. Reddish - I was expecting a 38-40% 3 point shooter who could dribble the basketball. Those 3s against FSU and UCF were memorable at least.
17. Duval - Mistake prone player who couldn't shoot, part of the clusterfuck the PG position has been in the non-Jones seasons.
18. Giles - Destroyed by injuries, shame. Always played hard and seemed like a good guy, but one of our least impactful OADs.
19. Frank Jackson - I still forget he played for Duke sometimes.
20. Jalen - Trash.

Hard to believe we've had 20 OADs since 2010.
Almost exactly the same order I would have posted, maybe just swap RJ and Okafor.

It’s jaw dropping just how little to no impact 16 to 20 had on the program. Frank Jackson’s dad changing his mind at the last minute and not even staying a second year after being an asshole the whole season behind the scenes apparently... that will always rub me the wrong way.

JJ and Duval were just recruiting mistakes. They were known quantities in HS and the staff still pursued.

To come back to the rankings, I admit I get (possibly irrationally) triggered by anyone ranking Bagley over Carter. I don't see how it's justifiable. I know I'm a Carter homer, but it's not just that the advanced numbers favor him. It's that if you take Carter off that team, we're a disaster since he was our entire defense. If you remove Bagley from the team, Allen and Carter simply probably score more and we have more conventional spacing.

To come back to the rankings, I admit I get (possibly irrationally) triggered by anyone ranking Bagley over Carter. I don't see how it's justifiable. I know I'm a Carter homer, but it's not just that the advanced numbers favor him. It's that if you take Carter off that team, we're a disaster since he was our entire defense. If you remove Bagley from the team, Allen and Carter simply probably score more and we have more conventional spacing.
We smoked MSU without Bagley and Allen had the best game of his career.

Also, I know I'm in the minority, but HG3 would be higher on my list. Maybe it's because @DukeNukem05 and I went to his first game as a Devil, but the fact that he played at all given his injuries and probably had the single greatest moment of the season in the ACCT against UNC just pushes him up my list. He's also a super positive guy to follow on the socials.

I agree with this completely, but will add the caveat that that was one Duke team where there wasn't much of a place to go lineup-wise without Bagley for conventional spacing. We had no wings waiting in the wings; the next two guys in mpg were DeLaurier and Bolden. O'Connell? The best fit would probably be Jack White, but he did nothing that year (0.8 ppg).

1) Zion - GOAT
2) Tyus - ONIONS
3) Winslow - DONG
4) Carter - Best defensive freshman ever? Only other arguments would be Winslow or Battier. But Battier was far worse on offense as a freshman than Carter
5) Carey - Surprisingly nimble defensively. Should have shot more threes
6) Okafor - I liked watching his post moves, even if it wasn't our most effective offense
7) Barrett - He still had a very respectable FG%, despite his struggles from three and the line. And his rebounding and passing were a value-add, especially at his position
8) Ingram - Nice all around game. FT shooting kept him from the upper echelon of OAD efficiency
9) Bagley - This may seem low, but I started thinking about him in contrast to Parker and it didn't feel like I could have them super far apart. Same weaknesses and strengths. I dislike one-way players, especially if they don't even try. I felt like at least Okafor gave defensive effort
10) Tatum - Would have been higher if it was just the 2nd half of the season. But his 1st half was kind of underwhelming
11) Rivers - Played really hard and cared a lot
12) Parker - Great offense
13) Stanley - Fun all-around player, but points off for being a 3rd option. Winslow was too, but on a better team
14) Irving - Memory is tainted by the injury and Drederick Irving. Plus, I think people overestimate how good we were with him. We were very good, but we had a few close games. We weren't going undefeated. He played no defense. And low key, Nolan kind of looked like shit beside him
15) Trent - I like him more in the league
16) Jackson - He had a nice efficient season, but he should have stayed
17) Giles - UNC dunk. It's hard not to love this guy, but he just couldn't contribute, sadly
18) Johnson - He still had a few good games. I give him points for efficiency over Reddish
19) Reddish - Had 2-3 great games, but was largely Moops-ish
20) Duval - Good passer

I loved this. And D4L's list too. I'm probably almost exactly in agreement here but only quibble is that I'd move Barrett down to 9/10 or so. I think his shittiness on defense is sometimes forgotten. And points off for high usage that cut into Zion's usage.

I strongly agree that 2011 team gets overrated a bit. How many Duke teams win those preseason tourneys and start off red hot? Talent was there but who the hell knows. And when you look at how ridiculously good Scheyer's advanced numbers are you start to think that maybe that 2011 team missed him more than people think after he graduated.

I sort of thought Frank Jackson was one of the most fun OADs we've had, in his role. Absolute freak athlete who shot 40% from 3.

That team was so loaded and such a mess. Their current-state lineup would make for a competitive NBA lineup:

Jackson
Kennard
Grayson
Tatum
Giles

with senior Amile/Jones also in the rotation. 2017-2019 was such a crazy run of talent and disappointing results.

Not getting a single FF out of 17-19 will eternally annoy me. Especially with the cancellation of the 2020 tournament and 2021 being the raging inferno that it is. Such a frustrating 5 years of Duke basketball, and we're looking at the longest FF drought of K's career.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom