Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Joey Baker

ZackM

Administrator
Staff member
2019 SF from Fayetteville, NC

6'7 190lbs

2019 SF from Fayetteville, NC

6'7 190lbs

Joey-Baker-2.jpg

Joey Baker is the only 2019 prospect on this list, and after a solid showing in the UAA last year, he's emerged as one of the most capable scorers at the 17U level this season. A skilled wing with a nice frame, Baker is a terrific jump shooter who has improved as a shot maker off the dribble and already has offers from some of the top schools in the country. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joey-Baker-98971/ ©DraftExpress

An exceptionally skilled forward out of Trinity Christian (NC), Joey Baker has been one of the most productive scorers in the UAA early on. Standing 6'8 in shoes with a 6'9 wingspan and 197-pound frame, Baker already has similar dimensions to UCLA's T.J. Leaf at the same age and just 16 years old at the moment, could wind up roughly the same size as Dario Saric who measured 6'10 with a 6'10 wingspan at the 2012 Nike Hoop Summit. A candidate to play either forward spot at the next level, Baker's skill level figures to give the coach at whatever school he commits to great freedom when putting together lineups. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joey-Baker-98971/©DraftExpress

According to MaxPreps, he averaged 17.2ppg and 5.8rebounds last season.

At the UAA 17U this summer, he averaged 13ppg in 17 games. He made 20 threes in 417 minutes.

The nation is just gonna love a Duke team featuring O'Connell and Baker.

Joey Baker, Alex O'Connell, and Matthew Hurt, all playing for head coach Jeff Capel. It'll be quite an experience for all of us.

I think the chances of Vernon Carey being in college for the Hurt/Baker freshman season are very low, due to OAD rule probably going away or Carey reclassifying into the final class to be subject to the OAD rule. If Duke is going hard after Carey, I hope it is with reclassification in mind. Then again, he would be in a Greg Oden recruiting situation if the OAD rule isn’t eliminated soon enough (only one relevant school recruited Oden, and most believed they were stupid for doing so during the process).

I wonder if either Hurt or Baker is good enough to go in the 1st round out of HS, in which case they are targets at risk of never playing in college. The downside of planning around their arrivals at Duke is how badly it may throw off short and medium term roster construction, similar to Shaun Livingston’s decision. The timing around OAD is going to cause some chaos. In the Oden case, it directly determined a national title game participant. In the Livingston case, a program was caught off-guard (pun somewhat intended) without a great replacement option.

Anyway, this rambling is to say Duke needs to start planning around OAD rule changes now, and be prepared for either scenario (with OAD vs. without OAD) beginning with this Hurt/Baker class. It should be helpful that Silver will keep K updated more than any other person involved with college basketball on what the likely outcome is.

NBA is not interested in white kids straight out of high school unless they're from Europe. They're already barely a blip on the OAD radar. White Power, it's the future of college basketball.

If the OAD rule is gone by the 2019 class, we won't land Carey, but honestly to me that's fine. I would rather have Bacot and Isaiah Stewart for 3 years (or whatever the new rule will be) than Carey for one. I like Carey, I think he's physical on the inside and has room to grow athletically, but I don't think he's a superstar big man. I would rather have Bacot and Stewart commit and have both for multiple years, and let Carey just go to Michigan State.

JMO.

I like Joey Baker's game. I would assume however a commitment from him would be conceding Wendell Moore to UNC, which would be disappointing if true.

eta: There was a report that said Baker could go grow to 6'9. If true, I could see Duke planning on him being a stretch 4 versatile to also play the 3. If this is the case I would imagine Duke is still going to make heavy pursuit for another wing in 2019, like Moore.

If Moore is UNC bound, that is kind of a drag. Baker would be an exciting addition, though - he just brings a different type of game. A wing defender would be a nice addition for the class o' 2019.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom