Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jordan Goldwire

I want Goldwire to be good and I will always look for silver linings in 3-star talent, but these numbers are rough. It's not a tiny sample size in absolute garbage time, either. He has played an astounding 23% of the possible minutes so far. I don't care about the 0-5 3pt or 0-2 2pt or 1-2 ft too much (or the resulting 52 offensive rating), though those certainly aren't positive signs. His assist rate is 10% and his turnover rate is 24%. This probably isn't a viable point guard, or rotation player in general, for Duke next season unless Duke can put four great offensive players around him and rely on him only for defense. If Jones leaves, I would hope we have a plan at PG besides "play a freshman combo guard 40 minutes a game."

Eye test tells me he's a good on ball defender and a bad offensive player.

I saw somewhere that he and O'Connell stayed all summer working with the staff every day to "get better".

Heh.

Came in the game, missed a 3 badly, and somehow when he does draw a foul, misses a FT to the surprise of no one.

Still a far better game than Cam.

I shouldn't pick on him because the 300th ranked recruit should never actually play rotational minutes at duke, but damn, he is what the TDD mouthbreathers thought Tyler Thornton was.

He's actually better than I would expect the 300th ranked recruit to be. I assume the 300th ranked recruit can't dribble the ball against real competition.

K doesn't have enough years left on this earth to spend one of them finding out if Goldwire can play meaningful minutes at Duke. If you let his name pop into your head while rosterbating, you'll quickly go flaccid.

Reactions: TBC
I was wrong. I thought he'd be a decent reserve for us. By his junior and senior seasons I thought he would be a really solid backup PG for us. Nothing spectacular but maybe a few points, a couple of assists and some solid defense in 10-12mpg backing up whatever freshman guard we have. He's only a sophomore but I don't think I see that much improvement coming his way.

AOC is also much worse than I expected. I knew we'd get nothing from him as a freshman because he was so skinny but he's just really dumb when he gets in.

A quick reminder, both AOC and Goldwire stayed on campus all summer to "work on their games with the staff".

If they had gone home, played NBA2k18 for four hours a day, partied a lot, and mowed the grass for Dad once a week, would they be better at basketball today?

True analysis is measuring players' impacts without stats… or the eye test… or requiring anything above mere competence. Kudos to Comarow and his truly woke basketball analysis. It will not be biased by conventional measures, advanced stats, or simply having a brain.

(And if you call him out on some of his ridiculous "analysis," he'll block you.)

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom