Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Kids

I can count on one hand the number of times he's slept through the entire night. And he's almost 15 months. One of those nights was about two weeks ago. My wife and I woke up at 7:30 and wondered what the hell was going on. He was still asleep. Of course we got our hopes up that maybe he figured things out, but things went right back to normal the next night. We actually hired a "sleep coach" to help us and while it certainly improved things, the changes and plan she put in place for us did not result in him sleeping through the night as she promised.

We've been lucky so far WRT his napping. Outside of a week about two months ago, he's never had an issue napping. He goes down relatively easy and sleeps at least two hours, sometimes three. If we lose his napping, like you and many of our friends have warned us, I'm gonna worry about my mental and emotional well being even more than I already am.

All of my kids started sleeping through the night the exact same night after they got their first big round of baby vaccines. What's that, around six weeks?

Sorry, guys, your baby sleeping RNG sucks. Or maybe it was the laudanum.

eta, they never took naps, though. There was no escaping them during daylight hours.

We just let our kids cry it out. At first it was really hard, but by the end we'd let those fuckers cry for an hour until they gave up. Now they are good. My daughter was a bit harder, she goes on these waves where she sucks and then is good again, she's way more stubborn than my son

I have one photo of my son who fell asleep while standing against the crib rail.

I just went through a sleep regression with a 15mo. It was near the beginning of work-from-home due to the virus, so it was the worst possible time for this to hit--no time for ourselves during the day, and didn't even get the usual 8-11pm slot for ourselves after putting him to bed. Woke up every hour crying until we let him sleep with us in the big bed. This ended after about 2 weeks. Went back to sleeping through the night with the occasional crying for 10 seconds. It was his first sleep regression, so we were terrified it was going to be permanent.

I was in bed til 10 this morning and almost forgot I had any kids. Then, the 9 year old refused to do homework and had a massive meltdown to the point I started looking up boarding schools and adoption agencies.

My 4 and 6 year olds can work the tv and get their own juice boxes now. Been sleeping later than I have in years now. It’s glorious.

That was about the age for us. Once the oldest was 6, he would get food for the other 2 and turn on the TV. It was a huge turning point.

We just let our kids cry it out. At first it was really hard, but by the end we'd let those fuckers cry for an hour until they gave up. Now they are good.
This was successful for us. Makes you feel like an asshole early on, but it worked on both of my boys in less than a week.

But cry-it-out likely won’t work once your kids reach toddler age. My wife’s sister just now got her 3-year-old daughter out of the parents’ bed and sleeping all night in her own bed, but they still have to lie with her for an hour and sneak out after she falls asleep.

Last edited:
We just let our kids cry it out. At first it was really hard, but by the end we'd let those fuckers cry for an hour until they gave up. Now they are good.
This was successful for us. Makes you feel like an asshole early on, but it worked on both of my boys in less than a week.

But cry-it-out likely won’t work once your kids reach toddler age. My wife’s sister just now got her 3-year-old daughter out of the parents’ bed and sleeping all night in her own bed, but they still have to lie with her for an hour and sneak out after she falls asleep.
They're doing it wrong.

Oh yes, they are definitely not strong enough for cry-it-out. Somehow they produced another child since that one. Not sure how that happened. My friends with older kids warned me to never let kids start sleeping in our room if I ever wanted to have sex again.

Nice! That's awesome. Is she into basketball as a fan? This could be a fun age.

My kid wasn't even shooting hoops of his own volition when he turned 6. Had no interest in basketball. I would shoot baskets while he drew dragon caves with chalk on the driveway.

Flash forward to 7 1/2, and he's not only working on floaters and stepbacks, but he wants to know the details of the NCAA's recruitment calendar, and wants to draft all-time Duke teams with me (except that he gets first pick at each position and wants Hurley/Redick/Hill/Zion/Laettner).

My kid wasn't even shooting hoops of his own volition when he turned 6. Had no interest in basketball. I would shoot baskets while he drew dragon caves with chalk on the driveway.

Flash forward to 7 1/2, and he's not only working on floaters and stepbacks, but he wants to know the details of the NCAA's recruitment calendar, and wants to draft all-time Duke teams with me (except that he gets first pick at each position and wants Hurley/Redick/Hill/Zion/Laettner).
This is the most encouraging post I’ve ever read. My kid turned 6 last week and has zero interest in sports. He’s still into trains and shit. It’s so depressing.

She actively disliked basketball until very recently. Mostly because it meant her TV time was getting cut off.

Since we are sheltering at home, and she is being homeschooled now, I take her outside to shoot hoops every day before"school" starts. I try not to direct her too much, because she doesn't want Daddy to tell her how to do things. But, if I tell her I'm going to show her a "new trick", she'll absorb it and try it out later.

My tricks are things like dribbling with my off hand, dribbling with my head up, stuff that's very fundamental. Then I mix in stuff she loves like around the back passes, between the legs passes. She tries the fancy stuff and immediately realizes she can't do it. Then a day or two later, she's like, "look Daddy I'm dribbling with my left hand".

*Humble brag warning*

She is a little in awe of my shooting. I routinely swish 15-20 in a row (the hoop is only 8 feet) so she is so impressed that she is really into learning. BUT, I can't force it, and have to let her learn at her own pace or she's over it.

This is the most encouraging post I’ve ever read. My kid turned 6 last week and has zero interest in sports. He’s still into trains and shit. It’s so depressing.
same with my son who is 5 - except swap trains with pokemon

Third-grader is learning about the Mason-Dixon line, and apparently I was off by a state in terms of where it was located. About an hour later, I figured out why. Fuck you, ACC basketball.

roger_mason005b.jpg
GettyImages-800573568.jpg

Mason-dixon-line.gif

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil