Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Kyle “Flip” Filipowski

I agree with the footwork being nice though. He's no Ryan Young, who possibly has the best footwork of any Duke big ever, including Okafor. But there's some skill. I wonder if the finishing is about touch or strength? I tend to think touch. He looks strong to me. But even on his threes and FTs, there's something I don't love about the touch. He shoots a hard ball, imo.

I'm interested to see how the offense evolves. Duke has an incredible duo in the front-court. Lively displayed tonight that he's capable of being an above-average decision-maker out of the short roll, which is a huge bonus to the vertical spacing he provides. Filipowski can shoot it and drive it. Neither one of them has shown much willingness to post up, which really gives Scheyer and the staff a lot of flexibility to get these open within the 5 -out structure they've started the season with. Putting Proctor-Flip-Lively in a three-man game with Roach and Whitehead in the corners ready to shoot/drive it could become lethal offense.

Filipowski gives Duke so much offensive flexibility at the 4, and neither he or Lively is chained to the post which gives the coaching staff almost endless options to play with.

Who knew that he was actually a dominant finisher at the rim? (Yeah, yeah, I know he was 5-12 from 2, but he rebounded and finished a lot of his misses, drew a few fouls, got hosed on that and-1-turned-offensive-foul, and probably should have gotten continuation on another and-one.)

I do think he probably benefited from KU only playing guys 6'8 and smaller, other than 13 minutes from that one guy who blocked 4 shots during that time. But those 6'8 225 athletic big guys are who I would have expected him to struggle with on both ends, so full credit to him for managing to exploit his advantages and minimize his weaknesses.

Also, I really would not have pegged him as the biggest gamer on the roster. Stats aside, he was really the only guy who just fully showed up and competed all-out all game long, in his first real college game. Quite a contrast to Mitchell, who had a couple nice drives/dunks but mostly looked kind of shell-shocked (which isn't super surprising for a FR in mid-Nov, to be fair).

He boarded great but I don’t think he can shoot that well and he shot way too many 3s. All his misses looked like bad misses. He should really play the 5 and split time with Lively there

Only watched the first half but Flip was the most surprising player to me. Thought he was going to be slow footed and a plodder.

14% OReb, 34% DReb. 5.5% Block. No reason for him not to play center, unless the coaches are absolutely required to force Lively and/or Young onto the court (they're not).

Offensively, very intriguing potential as a stretch. 11/12 FT this season, probably a bit anomalous. Hopefully there is some convergence between his FT shooting and his poor 3-point shooting so far, at 3/12 3PT, instead of purely regression on the FT side. 27% usage, 114 ORtg is excellent, obviously, but it could be much higher without the 2/9 midrange. Eliminate those midrange shots entirely and he's probably >60% TS.

Potentially monstrous Zion-like advanced stats at the end of the season.

Roach-Proctor-Whitehead-Mitchell-Flip.

Is that the optimal lineup ?
What about Proctor-Whitehead-Grandison-Mitchell-Flip?

I know Grandison has sucked, and I know Roach is 100% a lock to start, but I'm just throwing out a good-on-paper lineup I'd like to see.

Maybe. I see Grandison as a super sub I guess. Maybe Lively continues to knock on the door. But that five offers to me the best combo of shooting and rebounding. It might not be the best possible defensive group but Flip has impressed me on Defense more than I thought.
@Pantone287 i see you disagree- what would you change?

Roach-Proctor-Whitehead-Mitchell-Flip.

Is that the optimal lineup ?

I think it almost doesn't matter who starts between Mitchell and Lively, as long as they're playing basically all the non-Flip 4/5 minutes.

I do still tend to give Scheyer some amount of benefit of the doubt for WHY he's played Flip at C for 0 minutes so far - not to the extent that I want that trend to continue, but maybe there's some reason to have him spending some amount of time at the 4, I guess.

Maybe. I see Grandison as a super sub I guess. Maybe Lively continues to knock on the door. But that five offers to me the best combo of shooting and rebounding. It might not be the best possible defensive group but Flip has impressed me on Defense more than I thought.
@Pantone287 i see you disagree- what would you change?

Oops, definitely didn't mean to Wut you. Changed it to angry to confuse you further.

I don't think Flip at the 4 has been an issue as far his individual effectiveness (both defensively and offensively). It's what it does to Mitchell and our overall spacing that's the problem. I'm probably splitting hairs here.

I wonder how the coaches were so wrong about him in preseason. I get how we were wrong, because we're idiots, and also mostly just going on the reports. Did he really just look like crap all preseason, though, and is one of those guys just shows up to play when the lights are on?

I wonder how the coaches were so wrong about him in preseason. I get how we were wrong, because we're idiots, and also mostly just going on the reports. Did he really just look like crap all preseason, though, and is one of those guys just shows up to play when the lights are on?

He looked like trash in the preseason videos we saw, lost and out of place on nearly every play.
I'm going to give the coaching staff full credit for teaching him how to play basketball because I don't know any other reasonable explanation.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom