Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

Strongly disagree about Nocturnal Animals. Easily my favorite of the year. The ending said exactly what it needed to say without overselling it. Way more artistic and daring of a movie than stuff that got more attention.

Then I remember that Physics also didn't like Under the Skin and I wonder why I am getting argumentative.

Hey, I didn't not like Nocturnal Animals. I just didn't like the ending. But yes, Under the Skin was a little too bizarre for me.

rome8180 said:
Strongly disagree about Nocturnal Animals. Easily my favorite of the year. The ending said exactly what it needed to say without overselling it. Way more artistic and daring of a movie than stuff that got more attention.

the director was really feeling himself with a lot of the shots.

among other things, what was the point of the cheap scare with the crib scene?

was the stand up scene at the restaurant a deliberate act of pettiness? how did you interpret it?

Hell or High Water was pretty great. Like............Robin Hood meets No Country for Old Men, maybe? Great soundtrack, too.

dkst0426 said:
Hell or High Water was pretty great. Like............Robin Hood meets No Country for Old Men, maybe? Great soundtrack, too.
Loved almost everything about it except the climax of the movie, by which I mean
the brother's self-sacrifice
, which didn't feel fully earned.

Florence Foster Jenkins was a pretty cutesy movie. If nothing else, it gives me hope as a singer, LOL. And then, switched gears completely and watched Nocturnal Animals in the same night. My god, that was bleak but really well-done.

Got 13th in yesterday. That was frustrating/infuriating to watch, not because of any technical reason, but because of the subject matter.

rome8180 said:
I have put off 13th because there is enough in the world making me angry right now.

don't, it's that neccesary. the ending with van jones on blm has a hopeful and inspiring element.

rome8180 said:
I have put off 13th because there is enough in the world making me angry right now.
I can understand that, but on the flip side, it also helps bring some things into clarity, as rollins touches on.

I thought they had given The Blacks enough morsels so that they could give a jazz movie with no black people the big prize. Trump is going to ironically give minorities so much more standing after his 8 years. It will basically be like social reparations for the Presidential equivalent of slavery.

Word is that Moonlight is amazing and deserved it, but I wish it were possible to not have this meta debate about all our art lately.

People in my Facebook feed are so happy and think this proves there is something right with the world.

Moonlight was very good. It wasn't great. The way the film portrayed poverty and sexuality was very powerful and original, but a lot of the plot and character development simply felt trite, IMO. I came out of the movie not knowing much about any of the characters and the last act of the film dragged on without any meaningful action.

Still glad it won over La La Land. Haven't seen it yet, but I find its popularity incredibly irksome.

And I agree that its annoying how we pick these arbitrary pieces of mass media to represent factions in our culture war. La La Land and the Patriots represent Trump and white supremacy, Moonlight and the Falcons represent diversity, tolerance, everything holy and pure about liberal democracy, etc. People feel so powerless to actually effect change on a political level that they use sports teams and movies as a conduit for their beliefs. Sad state of affairs.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom