Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

Knights of Badassdom is an excellent piece of art. I watched it a second time within a week of first experiencing it.

Welp, Fate of the Furious was as ludacris as ever, but they don't call it popcorn entertainment for nothing.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 getting great reviews, as expected. The first was the most entertaining comic book movie I've seen.

I think Amy Schumer's star is collapsing. Her upcoming movie, Snatched, looks terrible, following a terrible Netflix special.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 getting great reviews, as expected. The first was the most entertaining comic book movie I've seen.

Interesting. The nerdy people and channels I trust on youtube were mostly underwhelmed by GotG2.

Visually, it looks awesome. That's to be expected when you pair Villeneuve with Deakins. My biggest worry is the script. Part of what makes the first movie a work of art is the ambiguities and that it doesn't spell everything out for you. I expect much more expository dialogue and spoonfeeding in this one. The original screenwriter is involved, but the secondary screenwriter's resume is almost entirely superhero stuff. I don't want a prettier-looking Logan.

The ending of the original movie is better than the novel, IMO, and I'm a pretty big fan of Dick.

Finally got around to watching Get Out. I hate horror movies but will watch the psychological kind. That one will probably top my horror movie list for a while. More like a long episode of Black Mirror. I regret not watching it in a theater full of black people. The best kind of movie experience.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I regret not watching it in a theater full of black people. The best kind of movie experience.
Dude, samesies! I watched it tonight, and I found myself thinking that exact thought.

Alien Covenant was solid but unspectacular. It seems to me that Hollywood has gotten much better at making by-the-numbers blockbusters that don't really do anything wrong but don't take huge risks either. My girlfriend, who is a huge fangirl of the series, enjoyed it a bit more than I did. Apparently, it played off Prometheus in cool ways. Other that this one, I've only seen the first two (which are fantastic).

For 20 years we've been saying "Hollywood is out of ideas", but I don't recall it ever being more accurate than this year. It seems as though the only things major studios are putting out are remakes and sequels. Leaving out the movies that were intended to be serials, like Star Wars, here are the remakes/part II's I can come up with without thinking much about it:

Baywatch
Top Gun
Alien
It
The Mummy
Kong
Friday the 13th
The Ring
Amityville
Jumanji
Six Million (Billion) Dollar Man

As someone who lived through all of the originals of the above, I say with a great deal of certainty that most of those things shouldn't happen.

I liked Alien Covenant except for that you could see the ending coming from a mile away. Would have been better if that hadn't been so obvious.

I typically dislike twists anyway. They are either predictable or they don't make sense. This one was a little bit of both. There were a few obvious ways it could have been made better:

Don't make such a big deal of it. Instead of holding it off until the last moment, have him reveal his identity as David as soon as he gets on the ship. As it was,
why would he go to all the trouble to help cut-rate Ripley and Eastbound and Down guy? And why would he help them shoot the alien into space? It doesn't make sense with the goals we assume he would have.

Don't give so many obvious clues to the audience. When he gets back on the ship, cut-rate Ripley asks him "where's David?" and he says something like "terminated"
in an abrupt way. First of all, there's no reason she would even ask that. It exists only for his response, which is a giant red flag to the audience. And then he acts all suspicious from that point on. Just get rid of those two things, and it still doesn't make much sense, but at least it's more surprising.

rome8180 said:
I typically dislike twists anyway. They are either predictable or they don't make sense. This one was a little bit of both. There were a few obvious ways it could have been made better:

Don't make such a big deal of it. Instead of holding it off until the last moment, have him reveal his identity as David as soon as he gets on the ship. As it was,
why would he go to all the trouble to help cut-rate Ripley and Eastbound and Down guy? And why would he help them shoot the alien into space? It doesn't make sense with the goals we assume he would have.

Don't give so many obvious clues to the audience. When he gets back on the ship, cut-rate Ripley asks him "where's David?" and he says something like "terminated"
in an abrupt way. First of all, there's no reason she would even ask that. It exists only for his response, which is a giant red flag to the audience. And then he acts all suspicious from that point on. Just get rid of those two things, and it still doesn't make much sense, but at least it's more surprising.

When I was young I heard a lot of people express pride in their ability to correctly predict twist endings. More recently I have heard more grousing about twist endings being too predictable. I wonder if twist endings have become more predictable or if our attitude about predictability has changed?

Or we've become more sophisticated as viewers and are better able to spot an obvious move.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom