Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

Colin Trevarrow out as Star Wars Ep IX director. Hopefully this means Rian Johnson is going do another one.

I know it's not new at all, but I watched The Descent last night. Very solid horror movie that actually bothered with character development, cinematography, and earned tension.

Dude...as a claustrophobic who would never set foot in a cave, The Descent was legitimately terrifying to me - even being a genre that typically just makes me laugh.

It's Darren Aronofsky paired with two great actors and a great premise. I am there.

Wind River was very good. I thought it was much better than Detroit.
Wind River was better than Detroit IMO. Both are good and very well done but I liked WR more. Maybe because Detroit's story is just sad and hard to get into but I still appreciated the film.

I don't get why you liked Wind River that much. It's a good movie. It was slow, the acting wasn't extraordinary and the end was very predictable. Once they arrived at the oil workers camp the movie picked up and became exciting.

Detroit on the other hand was pretty much non stop from the beginning. The acting was far better, the camera work and editing were much more challenging and unless you knew the story already it was unpredictable.

IMO Detroit and Dunkirk are the two movies to beat for best picture.

Wind River was better than Detroit IMO. Both are good and very well done but I liked WR more. Maybe because Detroit's story is just sad and hard to get into but I still appreciated the film.

I don't get why you liked Wind River that much. It's a good movie. It was slow, the acting wasn't extraordinary and the end was very predictable. Once they arrived at the oil workers camp the movie picked up and became exciting.

Detroit on the other hand was pretty much non stop from the beginning. The acting was far better, the camera work and editing were much more challenging and unless you knew the story already it was unpredictable.

Didn't think it was slow at all. I actually thought Wind River was better than both Detroit and Dunkirk. I also think that if any of the 3 films are serious contenders to win Best Picture it was a very bad year for movies.

IT was a B- or maybe a B for me. Some elements were very well done and some not so much. The cinematography was excellent, with interesting use of framing, unexpected angles, and panorama. The score was melodic while being creepy, though I felt it resorted to low ominous notes before jump scares too often, followed by the typical "loud as possible dissonant notes" when the actual scary thing happened. The acting varied from kid to kid. Finn Wolfhard from Stranger Things was hilarious as Ritchie and was overall the best actor of the kids. But the kid who played Ben was also very good. Sometimes when the kids had to give rousing speeches you saw that they were not experienced actors, but that's just as much a problem of the writing.

The biggest weakness of the film, to my mind, was the actual horror. While Pennywise is campy in the book, in the film he felt more cartoonish as time went on. Also, the way the horror played out -- when it happened, the way it happened, and how it was shot -- was pretty by-the-numbers. The other stuff that I felt was sold a little short was what you might call the "psychological horror" of the narrative. Henry Bowers was disappointing. He felt like a generic '80s bully, as did his friends. His arc was too short and he went from sadistic to insane too quickly. I would have liked to see more with the kids and their parents as well, but there were likely length considerations preventing it.

All in all, I would say this was much much better than the TV miniseries while not being as good as Stranger Things (which is what it reminded me of most). It works better as a coming-of-age tale than a horror movie. Like many mainstream movies these days, it felt very "competent" without being as artistic as I would have liked. Absolutely worth seeing though, and it got me excited for the second installment.

Last edited:

Didn't think it was slow at all. I actually thought Wind River was better than both Detroit and Dunkirk. I also think that if any of the 3 films are serious contenders to win Best Picture it was a very bad year for movies.
I agree with your last statement but they deserve to be in the mix. All are damn good. All I got out of WR (besides the obvious native American rights undertone) was a bunch of nice pretty shots of wherever it was filmed.

IT was a B- or maybe a B for me. Some elements were very well done and some not so much. The cinematography was excellent, with interesting use of framing, unexpected angles, and panorama. The score was melodic while being creepy, though I felt it resorted to low ominous notes before jump scares too often, followed by the typical "loud as possible dissonant notes" when the actual scary thing happened. The acting varied from kid to kid. Finn Wolfhard from Stranger Things was hilarious as Ritchie and was overall the best actor of the kids. But the kid who played Ben was also very good. Sometimes when the kids had to give rousing speeches you saw that they were not experienced actors, but that's just as much a problem of the writing.

The biggest weakness of the film, to my mind, was the actual horror. While Pennywise is campy in the book, in the film he felt more cartoonish as time went on. Also, the way the horror played out -- when it happened, the way it happened, and how it was shot -- was pretty by-the-numbers. The other stuff that I felt was sold a little short was what you might call the "psychological horror" of the narrative. Henry Bowers was disappointing. He felt like a generic '80s bully, as did his friends. His arc was too short and he went from sadistic to insane too quickly. I would have liked to see more with the kids and their parents as well, but there were likely length considerations preventing it.

All in all, I would say this was much much better than the TV miniseries while not being as good as Stranger Things (which is what it reminded me of most). It works better as a coming-of-age tale than a horror movie. Absolutely worth seeing though, and it got me excited for the second installment.

From what I get out of the snips I've seen it looks like a cross between Stand By Me-Goonies-Stranger Things with a little horror thrown in. And a scary clown

I watched JCVD last night and thought it was fantastic. I also didn't realize Jean-Claude Van Damme is actually a really good actor.

I watched JCVD last night and thought it was fantastic. I also didn't realize Jean-Claude Van Damme is actually a really good actor.

I guess he's had plenty of time since the 80's to learn a new job skill. He was a very shitty actor back then. Still no hope for Steven Seagal, however.

I don't know if I have ever seen one of his movies besides this. And this doesn't count, since he plays himself and it's kind of a meta-commentary on action movies.

Colin Trevarrow out as Star Wars Ep IX director. Hopefully this means Rian Johnson is going do another one.
JJ Abrams will return to direct Episode IX. Not what I was hoping for, but Rian Johnson wrote a bunch of story, so it should still be awesome.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom