Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

I don't dislike any of his movies. They just typically don't have an emotional impact on me, which is the primary thing I seek in a movie once it crosses the threshold of basic artistic competence.

Actually, Interstellar had the most impact on me. I know a lot of people think that one is weak. And I can recognize that it's more flawed than, say, Inception. But Inception was just so ungrounded in anything that it became a cerebral exercise.

I saw Detroit last week. I wasn't a huge fan. I thought it was fine, but I don't think it is as good as the reviews. I may have just been expecting a lot and it didn't meet my expectation, I'm not sure, but it just felt like it was something. Maybe it was a little too long? I can't put my finger on it.

I guess the way I can best sum up on my film is that it was like a line drive single from Giancarlo Stanton. A line drive single is always nice, but a little disappointed I didn't see a home-run.

I would like to see Wind River as I am a fan of Taylor Sheridan's work in Sicario and Hell or Highwater but it is not playing locally, and I'm not going to New York to see it.

Took the kids to see Wonder Woman today. Gal Gadot is something else.

Rome.... what do you think of Paul Thomas Anderson movies?
I love them, even though a few are pretty flawed. My favorite is probably Punch Drunk Love because I'm a big sap. After that, There Will Be Blood because it's just gorgeous and deals with powerful themes. That said, there are some problems with the script. But it's not as loose and baggy as The Master.

I also think he picks excellent actors and gets great performances out of them.

I love them, even though a few are pretty flawed. My favorite is probably Punch Drunk Love because I'm a big sap. After that, There Will Be Blood because it's just gorgeous and deals with powerful themes. That said, there are some problems with the script. But it's not as loose and baggy as The Master.

I liked Inherent Vice (which certainly has its flaws, but nonetheless enjoyable for me), TWBB & Boogie Nights

I liked Inherent Vice. It's not for everyone, but neither is Thomas Pynchon. It was a perfect adaptation of its source material.

Agreed. DDL and Phoenix are amazing actors but what he did with Mark Wahlburg and Sandler was extraordinary IMO.

I also really like Inherent Vice. The Master really has its flaws but like TWBB it's just beautiful to watch.

I don't normally get excited about action movies, but I want to see Atomic Blonde. I like spy stuff, and I like Charlize Theron and James McAvoy, and I like elaborate set pieces (which this movie apparently has a lot of).

Agreed. DDL and Phoenix are amazing actors but what he did with Mark Wahlburg and Sandler was extraordinary IMO.

I also really like Inherent Vice. The Master really has its flaws but like TWBB it's just beautiful to watch.
I thought they could have trimmed half an hour out of The Master and had a better movie. Still very interesting. Worth watching for the cinematography and the performances if nothing else.

Magnolia I'd have to say is my favorite. Also Tom Cruises best performance since he became a star. Before that I think his performance in All The Right Moves was pretty damn great.

Magnolia is underrated. It's a lot more accessible than some of the later films.

Cruise was good in Collateral as well. In a lot of recent movies he phones it in. It's also the type of movies he's picking. He's done a lot of action movies that don't exactly call for a nuanced performance.

I'm really looking forward to American Made since it's about things that happened right down the road. I wonder if it will touch on Clinton's alleged connection.

Magnolia is underrated. It's a lot more accessible than some of the later films.

Cruise was good in Collateral as well. In a lot of recent movies he phones it in. It's also the type of movies he's picking. He's done a lot of action movies that don't exactly call for a nuanced performance.

Really liked Collateral.

Colla

Really liked Collateral.

Collateral is one of my all time favorites of any movie.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom