Afghan Whigs - 1996, First Avenue, Minneapolis
Beastie Boys - 1994, Lollapalooza, St. Paul
The Replacements - 2013, Fort York, Toronto
X - 2018, Danforth Music Hall, Toronto
Bob Mould - 2016, Horseshoe Tavern, Toronto
Superchunk - 1999, Lee's Palace, Toronto
David Byrne - 2004, Usher Hall, Edinburgh
Pavement - 2009, Centre Island, Toronto
Strokes - 2002, orpheum theater, Vancouver (the atmosphere was special)
Pavement was one of the worst shows I've seen live. They're one of my favorite bands, but they're such bad musicians.

I've seen Fugazi twice. Great, but didn't make the cut.

Funny he should come up. I'm listening to a comedy podcast that covers different bands. Right now they're doing Talking Heads. It's made me realize how amazing they are.

As a bassist, I have a special appreciation for Tina Weymouth. The stuff she plays is so innovative and adds so much to the song. Here's a good example.

Last edited:
This is the only Taylor Swift album I've really liked. It's probably due to the presences of Bon Iver, the dude from The National, and Lana Del Rey's producer.

I can't get enough of this song.

I have become addicted to The War on Drugs. I'm basically in a 2 band phase, them and Bowie. There's no Bowie song too obscure for me right now.

Reactions: rome8180
Regarding EVH.

I was at Courtney Gold's 11th birthday party playing records. Her older brother walked in, and was like hey man, let me play something new for you.

He dropped the needle on "Running with the Devil" and blew my mind. This was 1978. There was NOTHING else like it at the time @rome8180

I don't think Van Halen ended up aging very well, but through the mid 80's they were untouchable. Saw them in concert in 80 or 81 and you can't really express EVH's virtuosity. And quite frankly, Mark Anthony was a perfect foil on bass. He sang great harmony, and played simple bass lines very well.

I just didn't like their melodies and chord progressions. And as far as EVH's solos, they're technically mindblowing but I prefer more melodic solos like Brian May or Eric Johnson. But yeah, he had a revolutionary sound. And I am sure it was EVH who inspired the explosion of "guitar gods" in the '80s.

I just didn't like their melodies and chord progressions. And as far as EVH's solos, they're technically mindblowing but I prefer more melodic solos like Brian May or Eric Johnson. But yeah, he had a revolutionary sound. And I am sure it was EVH who inspired the explosion of "guitar gods" in the '80s.

This is a pretty remarkable song.

By the way, that 2018 mix of The White Album is where it's at. It sounds way more modern and bass heavy, but as someone who loves Paul's bass playing it's perfect.

Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante turned 25 today. It's probably the weirdest album ever put out by a major label. It only happened because of Mike Patton's association with Faith No More. I think this one track kind of sums it up. You've got jazz, metal, surf rock, and Edgar Allan Poe all in one song (well, sort of two songs).

I consider Mr. Bungle my biggest musical influence. I was already genre-hopping in my own music when I first heard them in 1998, but they showed me I could push it a lot further.

So I've seen the Rube Goldberg machine version of this song and love it. However, I like this arrangement even better even if the video is not quite as spectacular. More songs need brass and xylophone. (I'm aware this is a 10-year-old video.)

I'm guessing some of us were here, on acid, and didn't know we'd be on some stupid message board years later.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil