Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA

Rooting for an Embiid injury at this point, which I would say has like a 50% chance of happening anyway.

I don't get why voters are biased toward Embiid and against Jokic. Is it a market thing? Is it Embiid's loud personality? Because it's not a new school vs. old school big thing. I bet you Jokic actually posts up more and is more efficient doing it. Embiid's entire game seems to be catching at the elbow and doing some weird shuffling dance into a defender's face to draw a foul. If that's not an option, he takes a jumper.

Eh, he's a pasty, schlumpy looking dude who they probably think is a bad defender. Insane of course, but somewhat understandable. What I don't get is why Giannis is seen as kind of a third wheel. Led his team to the title, looks the part, has better raw and advanced stats, and his team is better (edit - relative to Embiid). I guess it is the Grayson stink that has rubbed off on him.

I think with Giannis it's simply that he's won two MVPs already. Jokic is also hurt by having won one. Voters always want to give it someone new. But it especially seems like they've been dying to give it to Embiid for years.

The chasm between Embiid and Giannis in the voting is ridiculously dumb. The two have relatively similar profiles, on teams with relatively similar records, except that Giannis is a little bit better than Embiid at nearly everything from ppg/rpg/apg to eFG% (okay, Giannis is like 5% better there, but still), WinShares, BPM, PER and VORP. And the Bucks are a game ahead of the Sixers.

The resolution I'm hoping for/anticipating is that the Sixers end up doing enough worse than the Bucks/Nuggets recordwise that more than a handful of voters have misgivings about picking Embiid over the other guys.

Yeah, watching the Sixers the other night made it tough to imagine that even Harden is going to make them elite. Removing the only elite shooter from their lineup really hurts the offense. If you told me Harden was Houston Harden, or even last year's Harden, that would be different.

Yes, I know Maxey shoots 40% from three. But the volume is low. They're also going to miss Drummond, as crazy as that sounds.

Why do the analytics-driven podcasts I listen to suddenly start invoking "intangibles" whenever Kyle Lowry comes up?

He and Marcus Smart have some quality that causes normally rational thinkers to turn off their brains.

I don't have a subscription to The Athletic but based on all the comments he's made within the last week to 10 days, it sure seems like LeBron's bouncing from the Lakers after his deal is up after the 2022-2023 season. Weird thing is what happens after 2022-2023, I don't even have a good theory I feel confident in. I'd be curious in everyone's thoughts on it all.

Does he sign a one year super-max deal to stay with the Lakers?

Does he try to take the mid-level exception and be a mercenary for a year with a legit title contending team then sign with whoever drafts his son in the 2024 draft? I can't imagine him taking less than the maximum amount of money he can get but stranger things have happened, especially if he wants to win at least one more title before retiring.

Does he sign a long-term deal and finishes his career with the Lakers?

If he takes less than the max, the only team I can see him doing it on is Cleveland.

Cleveland's current team is absolutely a title team with LeBron added. The fit would be awkward, but it would be one of the best rosters he's ever had. I wonder if a sign and trade is possible?

Why do the analytics-driven podcasts I listen to suddenly start invoking "intangibles" whenever Kyle Lowry comes up?

He and Marcus Smart have some quality that causes normally rational thinkers to turn off their brains.

I agree. They've got some kind of quality that you can't quite pinpoint or quantify, but that you can just tell is there, you know?

KAT just won the 3pt contest. Every time I think about UK players in the NBA, I become more and more convinced that Calipari is the greatest scout in NBA history. The fact that he's wasting his talent coaching a college team instead of creating the talent foundation of an NBA dynasty is absolute crime.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom