NCAA Tournament 2014

Must be brutal to be a Louisville fan these days (well, besides the title I guess). If Roy went to three final fours in four seasons, including beating us twice in the tournament, and had a shot at a second NC in 3 years, right after we won our first one in thirty years, i'd die.

Committee stacks bracket for Wichita State, ends up being most epic Kentucky run ever, lol

Based on my very quick and simplified calculations

Tie game with less than 35 seconds to play:

Don't foul
Win - 25%
Lose - 75%

Foul
Win - 44%
Lose - 56%

Zack, that reminds me, I was having a debate with someone the other day. I said if there was less than 35 seconds on the clock and you were down three it was stupid to go for the "quick two" like announcers are always saying. Because then you have to foul, and depending on the outcome of the FTs you either need another quick two or a three. Why not just hold and take the three? Easier to make one contested shot than it is even one wide open one and a contested one.

Does what I'm saying make sense? The problem is I didn't know what percentages players shot on end-of-game threes versus the "quick two." Is there any way to know that?

Basically, what I am asking is "what is the dropoff in three-point percentage in end-of-game threes?" (That's if there's any at all.)

ZackM said:
Based on my very quick and simplified calculations

Tie game with less than 35 seconds to play:

Don't foul
Win - 25%
Lose - 75%

Foul
Win - 44%
Lose - 56%

Pomeroy a couple of weeks ago said it was 67/33 using real life data. I thought it would be higher than that, but I guess you have to factor in weird things like the Laettner shot. Whatever the base number is, I would suggest that it is higher when a good offense has the ball against a mediocre defense.

(Note: since it's real life data, it presumably would have included situations where the defensive team actually did foul, whether intentional or not.)

ncb_r_kentucky-tattoo_mb_600x600.jpg

Who's laughing now?

Tattoo thing seems to be working. Worked last year for Pitino too, and Jason Terry a few years before that.

Time for K to swag up and get " '15 champs motherfuckers" inked on his chest.

At a few points towards the end of the game, UK had the Harrisons, Poythress, Johnson, and Randle in as their lineup. Awe-inspiring. Remember when K played a 5 guard lineup rather than play MP3 against Cuse... smh.

DurhamSon said:
Tattoo thing seems to be working. Worked last year for Pitino too, and Jason Terry a few years before that.

Time for K to swag up and get " '15 champs motherfuckers" inked on his chest.

Maybe on his lower back.

Are we rooting for Florida in the earlier game and then Wisconsin in the later game? If the tip times were reversed we could possibly root for the underdog (UConn) after a Wisconsin win, but I think it gives more peace of mind to have Florida waiting for Kentucky. Also one of the most compelling title games I can remember due to the conference rivalry and young kids 0-3 against older wiser team.

Rooting for two much better seeds is weird.

Yeah, I think that's how I'm gonna play this. I think the Harrison twins have done enough to get drafted in the first round at this point, right?

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Are we rooting for Florida in the earlier game and then Wisconsin in the later game?
Absolutely.

And I know a lot of Duke fans don't really GAF about UConn anymore with Calhoun gone, but I can't get past a team sandwiching its NCAA probation with championships. Just doesn't seem "fair" to me.

Politics aside, I think most black people were thrilled with Obama winning the presidency because of his skin color. They felt a collective pride in that accomplishment. Well this Wisconsin team has finally given whites something to be proud of in sports other than quarterbacks and kickers and our needle-using baseball players.

As I predicted, the hyperbole about UConn has already started. I was driving around a few days ago listening to ESPN radio, and apparently Jeff Goodman was going to be on The Herd discussing whether or not UConn has become "the best college basketball program in the nation."

It's ridiculous to me how much the recency effect plays into all this so-called analysis. It's like how last year people wanted to call Pitino the greatest living coach and before that it was Izzo.

So yeah, I'm rooting against UConn because I hate them. But also because I don't want to hear the inevitable media cum-guzzling that will follow if they win their 4th title in 15 years.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil