Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Politics

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if Trump focused his talents on governing instead of getting distracted by football.

Lebron's a savage.

14992184.jpg

"In nearly 25 years as a sports executive & a lifetime spent as an American citizen I have never been so appalled by the abusive blood lust of my country's highest governmental office to defile my country's constitutional guarantees & selectively attack & demonize my country's people based on their exercise of our constitutional free speech rights.

As a sports executive who merely performs in private in the front office while our great athletes perform on the field, in the front court, and in front of hundreds of millions of consumers as trusted spokespeople, philanthropists, corporate representatives, & childrens' role models, as well as sports professionals, it is my honor to pledge unqualified personal support for the examples set by @StephenCurry30 and @kaepernick7 and to express my undying opposition to the repulsive conduct of this Administration, one that because of its conduct and Anti-american & anti-citizen abuse of its power should be repudiated, protested, and legally opposed on every front."

John Angelos of the Baltimore Orioles

This has become such a stupid circus. Just stop playing the national anthem before sporting events. People can find another way to protest, and the nationalists won't have their sensibilities threatened.

This has become such a stupid circus. Just stop playing the national anthem before sporting events. People can find another way to protest, and the nationalists won't have their sensibilities threatened.
I've long wondered why we play the national anthem prior to sporting events. It's weird.

I've long wondered why we play the national anthem prior to sporting events. It's weird.

I believe the tradition started during WWII as a show of patriotism and continued ever since.

Or just have the teams stay in the locker room until we are ready to be entertained by the millionaires playing a child's game.

I agree playing the National Anthem before games is stupid. You've got 70k drunk white people in the stands throwing up on each other as a more pointed show of Patriotism.

Or just have the teams stay in the locker room until we are ready to be entertained by the millionaires playing a child's game.
Seems like not playing the national anthem would be easier and make more sense. No reason for sporting events to have a nationalist flair.

Seems like not playing the national anthem would be easier and make more sense. No reason for sporting events to have a nationalist flair.
And what would be easier than both would be to shut the fuck up about the demonstration itself and instead talk about the reason for the demonstration. Unfortunately, symbolism and idolatry are more important to nationalist goobers than actual issues that affect real people.

Another very sensible take from the head coach of the most hated entity in America, the Golden State Warriors:

Last edited:
I like hearing the anthem before games. It's a reminder that, though these two teams are going to be trying to destroy the other in 5 minutes, there are more important things on which we have common ground.

But there are moments when we feel that the problems we share are also of much greater magnitude than an athletic contest. Today felt like that.

I wasn't a big fan of the Kaepernick protest at the outset. To me, for all the ills of the nation, the principles and institutions that the flag represents are our best chance of addressing those ills. But Kaepernick didn't spit on the flag. He didn't flip it off. He took a knee. It's not a position of domination but of deference. He's showing respect -- not to the flag and the anthem, but to the ideals they ought to represent, and he's showing that there's a gap between where those things are right now. It's a perfectly valid and obviously impactful way of communicating that.

Kap never protested the flag, or the anthem. His protest was against racism and the uneven nature of policing in minority communities. The fact that this has been made into a referendum on the National Anthem shows how fucked up everything really is. It's totally missing the point.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom