Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Sean Obi

30.2% defensive rebounding percentage as a freshman. This is why we were excited about him. Did anyone expect an offensive force?

Maybe he was playing midgets, but it seems like the rebounding should carry over.

Wasn't Obi actually courted by some decent programs though, when he was transferring?

Btw Keeley comes off very unlikable in that tweet.

I was (and remain) excited about his rebounding potential. Any scoring he can provide is gravy.

My only worry is about his defence; I suspect that is where he has been having a hard time in practice.

I don't think lack of chatter is a bad sign. Usually the chatter turns out to be bullshit.

I'm not sure the chatter about Hood or Curry was bullshit, if we're just talking transfers.

I'm just talking about the chatter that leaks out in general, such as "better than Singler at the same age" and "best defender on the team" and stuff like that. The stuff that makes everyone really excited about a guy who isn't ready.

I don't expect much out of Obi, but at least those expectations aren't being driven by a public pep talk from K.

can't wait to watch this guy play. I have no idea if he is any good but I am really hoping he is. He looks like he had good numbers at rice but I don't know how much that will transition over. at least he will be another big body down low getting rebounds and playing defense. Duke needs guys like that. The years they struggle are the years there missing a low post presense so having bodies coming off the bench will help immensly.

Was this written by someone who has never seen Obi play? I didn't see the exhibition games, but the player described here is the polar opposite of the player who was discussed in game chat:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/blue-zone/2015/11/151108-mbb-obi-preview

Obi’s game is very similar to that of an ideal big man. He is incredibly active on the boards and led the Conference USA in rebounding his freshman year.

Obi's wide body acts as a brick wall on the defensive side of the ball and he runs the floor with energy and purpose.

Obi has solid hands and good footwork which make him a reliable option in the paint. Rebounding is by far Obi’s greatest strength and look for him to make a living on the glass when on the court this season.

...His energy and activity on the boards will be exactly what Krzyzewski will look for from Obi...

Obi’s game most closely resembles that of Boston Celtics’ forward Jared Sullinger

That guy was just running through a mental list of fat guys in the NBA to see which one he should compare to Obi. He should've gone with Chuck Hayes.

Obi’s game is very similar to that of an ideal big man.

"very"
"similar"
"ideal"

I want to see someone run without purpose. Does that guy just jog up and down the court waving to people in the crowd, stopping to talk to refs, and reading the banners mid-play?

He resembles slow fat Sullinger from his college days, I'll give him that. Except without the post game.

I literally have never seen a slower Duke player. And don't get me wrong. I like the guy and think he can become a useful player for us in time.

It is likely a long drive for you, but you can come up and watch my Sunday Old Boys League games (9:30-11:00) for that kind of action.

Topher said:
I want to see someone run without purpose. Does that guy just jog up and down the court waving to people in the crowd, stopping to talk to refs, and reading the banners mid-play?

All my attempts to get Toronto Duke's attention have amounted to nothing. In the end, it's Topher, who doesn't even need Canadian citizenship who gets noticed.

You have my attention - your book is on deck after I finish reading about Chrissie Hynde and all her drug problems

rome8180 said:
All my attempts to get Toronto Duke's attention have amounted to nothing. In the end, it's Topher, who doesn't even need Canadian citizenship who gets noticed.

John's typically cryptic comment on the TDD Sean Obi thread has me wondering if there isn't some transfer talk going on.

Then again, at this point a random person on the street would probably have as much inside info as John.

I would think the benching against Bryant was more related to his inattentive defence during the previous game. I guess he'll have to show something in practice to receive event spot minutes in the future.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom