Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Zion Williamson

For example, supposedly Jon Scheyer had a lung capacity equal to Lance Armstrong. That's why he never got tired. Is that a part of athleticism?

Then there's foot speed, strength, lateral quickness, etc.
Demarcus Nelson trained with the Navy SEALS

For example, supposedly Jon Scheyer had a lung capacity equal to Lance Armstrong. That's why he never got tired. Is that a part of athleticism?

I'm limiting it to the basics-running, jumping, quickness, strength. I might be wrong but I think he beats Barkley in those.

In no way am I saying Zion will be remotely close to Barkley. He's a top 50 player ever and I've always thought he was a bit of an underrated player because no one takes him serious.

Should he get a Purple Heart for that?

Lone Survivor Part 2: The only defender on a Duke roster

Should he get a Purple Heart for that?

Lone Survivor Part 2: The only defender on a Duke roster
I thought we were playing the "Things that need to be mentioned in every Duke game" game.

I don't think you can say Zion is more athletic than Barkley, but whatevs. Barkley was 6'4 and was a wrecking ball in the NBA. Zion is a wrecking ball against The Little Sisters of the Poor. Zion does to little boys what Barkley was doing to the best in the world.

Zion does the same thing to the best of the best in AAU and Team USA. They gush about him. I know that is not the best in the world, but it's not the little sisters of the poor. I have hope that Zion can be incredible next year.

Zion hit a couple 3 pointers last night. That is scary for any team opposing Duke next year.

Maybe this will shut up the idiots who say they've never seen him take a jumper.

Steve Nash met all criteria you speak of, but was rarely considered an 'athlete.'

Slater says Zion is his favorite 2018 prospect on Twitter.

That's a huge endorsement.

Duval was also the consensus best point guard prospect. The problem is that the only relevant question for Duke is who the best players are in their 18-19 year old window. Nothing else matters. The best long term prospect is often not the same as the best/most efficient 18 year old.

If Zion has no idea how to play defense and it’s going to take him a few years to learn, and if he's not in good shape, he's really not going to be all that valuable for Duke on a net basis, considering all facets of the game. Nobody will make a big deal about it because he doesn't do cool dunks on Youtube, but someone like 23 year old Reid Travis potentially deciding to play his last year of college at a contender would likely be more impactful than Zion's decision, which will have gotten 100x more press.

Worth noting that Travis' current coach is Roy's former longtime assistant, so hopefully he doesn't end up at UNC.

Duval was also the consensus best point guard prospect. The problem is that the only relevant question for Duke is who the best players are in their 18-19 year old window. Nothing else matters. The best long term prospect is often not the same as the best/most efficient 18 year old.

If Zion has no idea how to play defense and it’s going to take him a few years to learn, and if he's not in good shape, he's really not going to be all that valuable for Duke on a net basis, considering all facets of the game. Nobody will make a big deal about it because he doesn't do cool dunks on Youtube, but someone like 23 year old Reid Travis potentially deciding to play his last year of college at a contender would likely be more impactful than Zion's decision, which will have gotten 100x more press.

Worth noting that Travis' current coach is Roy's former longtime assistant, so hopefully he doesn't end up at UNC.

Isn't there a Jones family connection with Reid Travis? I have seen a number of posts about Duke trying to land Reid as a grad transfer...

Isn't there a Jones family connection with Reid Travis? I have seen a number of posts about Duke trying to land Reid as a grad transfer...

I think Tyus played AAU with Travis.

Travis would be more useful to us than Montgomery as well.

Zion is better than Reid Travis right now with a much higher ceiling, even in just 1 year in college.

Reid Travis is shooting 30% from 3 and 66% from the FT line. DRtg and DBPM are not impressive. He'd be an undersized center with 0 experience playing in coach K's system, so I'm not even sure I'd take him over Montgomery.

I appreciate the lust for experience and defensive prowess- this is just not the guy. Give me an experienced grad transfer guard who can handle, shoot, and most importantly, defend, to go with this roster.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom