Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Zion Williamson

Reid Travis BLK% is 0.3 this season. His TRB% is 13.1 this season.

This player is gross. I hope he goes to UNC.

Hell, if the immediate eligibility thing goes through, go steal that Moore kid from Wake. Cameron Johnson already paved the way for him.

Heads up:

Greensboro Day @ Spartanburg Day tomorrow at 5:30 on ESPN HD.

This will be one of the best teams Zion & Company will have played this season.

Great appetizer for The Big Game.

Reid Travis is old and old nerds are Bad for the Brand. Kids all around the Kountry don't dream of coming to DUKE to be old nerds - they dream of coming to DUKE to be 18-year-old DUNKBOIZ who don't have to put in any effort on defense and lose in the second round of the NCAAT (longer tourney runs increase risk of injury and jeopardize their pro careers that will bring in terrific returns for The Brand).

Hmm, Reid Travis is really not that good at basketball. Seems like a prime transfer-out candidate as a sophomore if he had picked Duke. Maybe he makes a leap next season as he gets further away from his prior injuries. He would be a good backup, and Duke will continue to need competent bodies every offseason as long as OAD is going on.

Hmm, Reid Travis is really not that good at basketball. Seems like a prime transfer-out candidate as a sophomore if he had picked Duke. Maybe he makes a leap next season as he gets further away from his prior injuries. He would be a good backup, and Duke will continue to need competent bodies every offseason as long as OAD is going on.

#NOBACKUPS #DTFU :smilingimp::smilingimp::smilingimp::smilingimp::smilingimp::smilingimp::smilingimp:

Agree with bolded.

We have Zion, Bolden, Javin, Jack White, J-Rob, Vrank, and probably E.J. that can play the 4 or 5. 3 and most likely 4 of those guys are not good, but I see no need to add another player who's not very good in Travis. If Vrank decides to go play pro ball in Croatia, fine, you take Travis. But you don't take Travis over Zion or E.J. or another guard, IMO.

We need an experienced guard who can handle, shoot, and defend. That would be perfect. That's the only part of the roster I think even K would agree is thin.

Reid Travis is old and old nerds are Bad for the Brand. Kids all around the Kountry don't dream of coming to DUKE to be old nerds - they dream of coming to DUKE to be 18-year-old DUNKBOIZ who don't have to put in any effort on defense and lose in the second round of the NCAAT (longer tourney runs increase risk of injury and jeopardize their pro careers that will bring in terrific returns for The Brand).

Reid Travis is just bad at basketball.

And we did get bounced in the 2nd round last year. Harry Giles' career was ruined by knee injuries and we faced South Carolina in what was essentially a road game. We had no true PG and they played one of the most aggressive brands of defense in the country. But none of this fits your black and white thinking narrative that experience always trumps talent. It doesn't. The world is a complex multiverse and a ton of nuance is required to understand it. You provide no thoughtful appraisal when you constantly bash Coach K and Duke and imply that all people like me care about are dunks and no defense. LeBron James was fantastic in the NBA at 18 and ya boy Barack Obama was 47 (with very little experience in anything) and he turned out to be an alright president, according to you. Sometimes youth is a good thing, and sometimes it's a detriment. I don't make fun of or patronize you, and I think it's a very bad look on your part to author posts like I quoted. You know what you're doing.

Experience doesn't always trump talent, especially at the extreme end of both. But it's not crazy to think that a four-year player in the 25-50 range might be a better college player than a top 5 freshman. There are other things that matter in basketball games besides "talent." Basketball IQ usually increases with experience, and this leads to understanding of defensive rotations, offensive positioning, what's a good shot and what isn't, etc.

More importantly than all that, perhaps, is the mentality a multi-year guy likely brings to the table. OADs may want to win a title, but it's not really that much skin off their back if they don't. When you add into the mix a coaching and recruiting culture that will do anything to get OADs and will keep them on the floor even when their effort doesn't deserve it, it's easy to see why the overall team value of an experienced player might be higher. And this isn't even factoring in that you have this player 3-4 times as long (assuming he isn't a grad transfer). Or that most fans find multi-year players more fun to watch because we can get invested in their journey.

Axe's nuanced thought processes give him an infinitely greater understanding of the complex multiverse that is Duke basketball than any of the simple minded black and white thinkers on this board.

Experience doesn't always trump talent, especially at the extreme end of both. But it's not crazy to think that a four-year player in the 25-50 range might be a better college player than a top 5 freshman. There are other things that matter in basketball games besides "talent." Basketball IQ usually increases with experience, and this leads to understanding of defensive rotations, offensive positioning, what's a good shot and what isn't, etc.

More importantly than all that, perhaps, is the mentality a multi-year guy likely brings to the table. OADs may want to win a title, but it's not really that much skin off their back if they don't. When you add into the mix a coaching and recruiting culture that will do anything to get OADs and will keep them on the floor even when their effort doesn't deserve it, it's easy to see why the overall team value of an experienced player might be higher. And this isn't even factoring in that you have this player 3-4 times as long (assuming he isn't a grad transfer). Or that most fans find multi-year players more fun to watch because we can get invested in their journey.

You know you have my respect and I agree with most of this. Sivartrenrag just takes it too far and then you have the patronization and trolling. Like- he was legitimately making fun of the airball chant a few days ago. He thinks he is so cool. I'm just very laissez faire and couldn't imagine caring what the Cameron Crazies chant at a basketball game. It's not a clever chant but who cares?

Axe's nuanced thought processes give him an infinitely greater understanding of the complex multiverse that is Duke basketball than any of the simple minded black and white thinkers on this board.
Lol. I didn't say that. Pretty sure I've always said this is a very smart board. Sivartrenrag probably not my cup of tea, personality-wise, though, because I don't make fun of people. In actuality, I think I have proven I am very quick to adopt the opinions of others as my own. I am always learning.

I'm just very passionate about this stuff, AxeS24. That said, I've pushed it a bit too far lately. I sometimes forget - we're all on the same team! My apologies.

Also, the AIRBALL chant is sweet. My bad.

I hope we can move on from this. Let's let bygones be bygones.

Axe, I can't speak for Sivar but a lot of the animosity towards the Neu-Crazies is because we remember what they used to be like, before they were neutered by a combination of changing student demographics, policies of the administration, and other factors. They used to have creative chants, not tired generic shit. There used to be antics that were genuinely assholish but funny, and pushed the envelope. Now it's about dressing up in blue Disney costumes (ooh ooh look at me on the jumbotron!) and embarrassing gimmicky shit like calling for Crazy towel guy.

I mean it's always been kind of corny to some degree, and it's nice they still get rowdy for the big games, but its entirely generic scripted 'antics' now that don't stand out from any other college crowd and come off kind of try-hard

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom