Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Zion Williamson

From NBADraftroom

Strengths

Built like a bull on steroids, Williamson has great strength and supreme power, to go along with guard-like agility and insane leaping ability. He shows amazing body control in the air as he explodes to the rim and on his drives into the lane, avoiding offensive fouls while going 100 MPH.

He's able to get from half court to the rim in a heartbeat and once he gets going downhill he's nearly impossible to stop. His explosive first step forces the defense to bring multiple defenders and he's a more than capable passer and decision maker with the ball.

He's also an effective player in the lane, with excellent rebounding instincts. He can overpower opponents using his wide base and brute strength and he has the quickness and agility to rebound out of his area. He's especially deadly on the offensive glass and he relishes the chance to hammer home a put-back dunk.

His back to the basket game shows flashes and he's got a natural scoring ability. He makes his post up moves quickly to avoid the double team and has uncanny quickness for a 240 bound man child. He's got good touch on a baby left hook and shows a good feel for creating space for his shot. His ability to elevate with strength allows him to bully his way to the rim, even against taller players. He'll likely become a very polished post up player in time.

One of his biggest strengths is that he's always in attack mode and plays with force and aggression. He's a natural born scorer who propels towards the rim like a heat-seeking missile. He seems to know he's the best player on the court and he looks to dominate.

He can play multiple positions and loves to bring the ball up the court and make plays for teammates. Although he can be a bit wild with his passes, he shows flashes of high level passing ability and a nice feel for passing teammates open. He's got impressive handles for a young player of his size and has developed his right hand dribble (he's a lefty) to become dangerous driving both directions. He's also a great dunker with his off hand.

His amazing dunking ability is not only loved by the fans but brings a ton of momentum and energy to his team and that energy translates to the defensive end of the court.

Williamson is a very versatile defender who has the ability to guard some PGs, showing impressive quick feet and lateral agility. And he can guard in the post and protect the rim, using his great strength and leaping ability. He's especially effective (and exciting) coming from the weak-side for the block, or chasing down the play and defending at the rim. Just like with his offensive game, his defensive game might not be well polished and complete but he makes plays that change the momentum of the game and he's a force to be reckoned with.

Weaknesses
His outside shot is developing and has a ways to go before it's a reliable part of his game. Doesn't have the smoothest release and is inconsistent from outside.

Much of his game is predicated on overpowering opponents and being the best athlete on the court. How will he adjust/develop his game to compete against NBA size and athleticism?

He's got the tools be a high level defender but doesn't yet bring enough energy on that end of the floor and is still developing his understanding of team defense. Takes too many gambles on defense and lacks discipline.

The Matt Jones from KSR (Kentucky Sports Radio) is shitting on Zion saying no one liked him and Barrett at the McDonald's All-American game, especially Zion.

The Matt Jones from KSR (Kentucky Sports Radio) is shitting on Zion saying no one liked him and Barrett at the McDonald's All-American game, especially Zion.
As in they didn't like their games or people didn't like being around them?

He's a super biased douche. Our class is already done and they'll be gone before the next class arrives. I don't care if everyone hates being around them.

I'd say some of that is jealousy. Zion is clearly the most talked about recruit in this class and RJ is clearly the #1 guy.

Last edited:
Clearly when non-Duke fans bitch and moan it definitely means Duke is whipping their asses in some shape or form.

That's a good thing.

Expect his anti-Duke shtick to go up another level. It's probably his best (and only) strategy to beating Mitch McConnell. Do Kentucky fans hate Duke more than they hate liberals is the real question.

He dropped to #7 on 247's final rankings. I really don't give a shit but ranking E.J Montgomery over Zion is pretty bad, IMO.

I hope he drops in other rankings too and this is the motivation he needs to really trim his fat down and get in the best shape of his life for Duke.

That's insane that he's below EJ. A joke really. I agree the top 4 are almost set in stone and I'd maybe put Bol over Cam at this point. Imo RJ is the clear #1 and Little is probably the clear #2.

Did he wait until they got confirmation Bolden was coming back, knowing that the only thing standing in the way of K playing him extended minutes chained to the post was Marquis? I could see that.

That's insane that he's below EJ. A joke really. I agree the top 4 are almost set in stone and I'd maybe put Bol over Cam at this point. Imo RJ is the clear #1 and Little is probably the clear #2.

Yeah I don’t get why Montgomery is so highly ranked.
He looks like a 2-3yr player but sounds like he's deadset on 1 and done.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted him and still would take him but I wasn't expecting much in terms of production had we landed him. Maybe something like Bolden gave us this year.

This guy has some good takes.

I am pleased to see other people believing in Zion. I've said it before, but I think he's our best player next year.

Motor-size-athleticism: when he figures out he can't be stopped going to the rim, it's game over.

247 ranking him 7th doesn't matter, but it is laughable.

I think I'm more excited about Zion than any recruit since Kyrie.

Hope you’re right, Axe. I think people are too bearish on Zion, mainly because I think Barrett will not let him take a lot of terrible shots, even if he were planning to do that.

Hope you’re right, Axe. I think people are too bearish on Zion, mainly because I think Barrett will not let him take a lot of terrible shots, even if he were planning to do that.

Back when Slater (very high on Zion) was on 247, he said something that still sticks out to me: Zion's stepdad has really instilled the importance of shot selection to him.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom