Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Alex Murphy

image.png

Wish I knew what the heck was going on here. He is declared a starter, then he plays zero minutes versus Georgia State University.

on TDD someone posted (with poor grammar) that he didn't show to a class on Tuesday and that is why he was benched. If true, that is the best case scenario, he'll learn from it, and it has nothing to do with injury, poor performance in practice, or any kind of bad habits (outside of skipping class of course) off the court.

It was just a confusing, unfunny shot at UNC and their no-show classes. Just ignore it, that poster doesn't have any info in this case.

Defensive rebounding at 25.7% puts Murphy in the top 50 in the country. Small sample size.

Duke is a terrible defensive rebounding team with a potentially amazing defensive rebounder at a position of need on the bench.

it was funny how, in those garbage minute games, he would go in, play 2-3 defensive possessions, and grab a rebound. he rebounded well in real time against Delaware.

i just want him to get to the 7-10 mpg mark this year, so he is there to come in if we are getting murdered on the boards. its funny, i dont think this team will have a big impact player from the bench (unless jefferson really steps up), but i can actually see k going 9-10 deep this year. most of them will only be fatigue/foul subs, but i think aj, tt, mp3, jh, and am will all play in most games. one of the last two might get squeezed out though.

I actually see JH beating out AJ and AM. He's not as good on offense as AJ and not as athletic as Murphy, but he brings experience and good fundamentals.

JH needs to be more consistent. Didn't he foul out vs. Delaware? That's just not a good look for the upperclass first big of the bench.

rhfarmer said:
JH needs to be more consistent. Didn't he foul out vs. Delaware? That's just not a good look for the upperclass first big of the bench.
I have a feeling he wont be the first big off the bench for much longer.

I agree, I think the positives Hairston gives to Duke become obsolete if Marshall is like a sophomore Mason.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I agree, I think the positives Hairston gives to Duke become obsolete if Marshall is like a sophomore Mason.
So ready to see him play. Anybody heard if hes playin next saturday?

Mixed bag from him today in those 5 minutes. i was disappointed in his defense. hes been much better than that in his other appearances, besides uk. that blown layup was bizarre, but he finished well with the drive and 3. they dont mean much in terms of accomplishments, but they should help his confidence some.

I will say that one weekend doesnt mean much, but he was VERY impressive at the toc in 2010. he really wasnt far behind muhammad. he had a few big games, driving a lot, and hitting a solid percentage of 3s. he didnt look like a great shooter, but he took a decent amount, and looked like he would be about as good as tt has been. he was really impressive slashing and cutting, though.

IMO, he definitely has some ability, and it is more than just raw ability, like you see with a tokoto. he shows pretty good awareness with his off-ball cuts, like the one he blew today, and the one he scored his first basket on in the last game. hes also done pretty well at rebounding and challenging shots, although he did neither today.

if he cant crack 10 mpg in the rest of the non-con, he wont make the regular rotation in the acc, imo.

Yeah, he looked pretty bad on the ball today. You'd think he'd take a page from Singler's book and back off of guards a little bit when he's 25' from the basket, seeing as he's 6'8.

At this point, I'm pretty resigned to the fact that he's not going to make much of a difference this year one way or another.

He seems like a high caliber athlete, defense is mental, and he has the tools to do it, he'll come around. The main thing is, where are his minutes going to come from? I guess Duke will blow out Wake, FSU, and BC, and has the potential to hammer Miami, Uva and UNC, so there's garbage minutes to be had. But otherwise, who does he play in front of, Jiggy, TT or Sheed?

rhfarmer said:
He seems like a high caliber athlete, defense is mental, and he has the tools to do it, he'll come around. The main thing is, where are his minutes going to come from? I guess Duke will blow out Wake, FSU, and BC, and has the potential to hammer Miami, Uva and UNC, so there's garbage minutes to be had. But otherwise, who does he play in front of, Jiggy, TT or Sheed?

I mean, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the rotation with Marshall in it. I think Marshall's presence will affect Josh's role, which is more closely related to Amile's than Murphy. Basically, I think Murphy this season is the fifth perimeter player. Any injuries/foul trouble to our guards can lead to more PT for him.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom