Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2014-2015

Yes they won the title, but at the start of the tournament nobody was afraid of them. They caught a hot streak and it worked out. They won't be better than this year and it's not like this years team was very good. The worst champions since Kemba's team

I think Arizona could have the most complete team. A starting lineup of:

PG - SR McConnell/JR York
SG - SR Nick Johnson
SF - SO Hollis-Jefferson
PF - FR Stanley Johnson
C - SO Tarczewski

Should be scary good, and the runaway #1 defensive team in the country. If Brandon Ashley comes back, they're pretty much perfect.

Only flaw could be post depth, depending on who leaves. PF Craig Victor might be ready to play as a FR, and they have a nobody 7-footer coming in too. Past that, looks like it's a senior 6'10 guy who averaged 1 PPG last year and that's about it.

Stanley Johnson is basically Justise who can shoot. He'll definitely be PAC 12 ROY, imo. (That was a lot of acronyms in a row.)

AZ and Wisconsin and KU are shoe-ins for being awesome unless something silly happens (N. Johnson or P. Ellis or Kaminsky turning pro). We really should be as well. If Stauskas stays and McGary comes back, UM will be as good as anyone. I think most (Randle, WCS, D. Johnson, Young) of the UK guys go - as discouraging as all those 'clutch' wins were, they should have the effect of also convincing the Harrisons that they are ready - and I'm not sure they bring in enough to compensate. Still, a front court of Marcus Lee, Towns, Poythress and Lyles will be a bitch to deal with.

After that, UNC, UVA, Wichita and maybe Villanova return/add enough talent to be really good teams. If Turner joins Mudiay at SMU, they could definitely be very good. UCLA could be sneaky good. I think UConn and FL lose too much - they'll be solid but not spectacular.

Even though Nick Johnson is a second rounder, a lot of people think he might go because he is on the older side and doesn't have a ton left to prove. That'll be a big decision for the national landscape, perhaps the biggest.

Good enough list to at least put 25 teams in discussion. People will be higher on Duke than Duke fans are, generally. They didn't suffer through all those defensive possessions in the final quarter of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
StopThePumpFakesShav said:
Even though Nick Johnson is a second rounder, a lot of people think he might go because he is on the older side and doesn't have a ton left to prove. That'll be a big decision for the national landscape, perhaps the biggest.

He'll go and they'll start McConnell, Johnson, Hollis-Jefferson, Ashley and Tarc. It will make this year's UK team look like a bunch of slow dwarfs. Or dwarves, whichever.

First google news article for Arizona NBA makes it sound like Rondae and Tarc are both strongly considering going and Nick Johnson is gone. Gordon is a given.

If they return even 2 of those guys, I agree with everyone else in the world that they're the best team going in.

If they were to lose Nick Johnson and Gordon and return everyone else, I think the only team for whom you can make legitimate argument to be ranked ahead of them would be Wisconsin.

Arizona would be more talented, but the continuity of this Wisconsin team (and the fact they had actually have good rising sophs in Koenig and Hayes) is going to make them really tough.

Arizona would be losing two key starters, and while Brandon Ashley will return to school, the season is going to start less than ten months after he tore an ACL- unlikely he'll be at full strength.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
First google news article for Arizona NBA makes it sound like Rondae and Tarc are both strongly considering going and Nick Johnson is gone. Gordon is a given.

If they return even 2 of those guys, I agree with everyone else in the world that they're the best team going in.

Ooof. If Nick goes here's the bench:

Gabe York
Craig Victor (f)

Actually, York may start with Hollis-Jefferson or Johnson on the bench, but that's AWFULLY thin.

I'm a little puzzled why Kansas isn't given more love. Thaarpe, Selden, Ellis, Oubre, Alexander with Mason (might start), Greene, Traylor and Frankamp? That is a whole lot of depth, shooting, size, athleticism and versatility. And God forbid it includes Turner or Embiid. They were REALLY young this year, so I think a lot of those guys get a lot better. I'd take that roster over AZ w/o Johnson/Tarc/H-J or Wiscy.

I am actually encouraged that national types (Parrish, Davis) who actually are not Duke homers think Duke is a preseason top 5 team next year. It kind of makes me think that I (and many others on this board) are perhaps letting emotion/frustration/fandom/whatever get in the way of accurately evaluating next year's team.

That said, I agree that having Arizona, Wisconsin and KU ahead of Duke is kind of a must.

Surprised that Orlando Antigua taking the USF head coaching job isn't more interesting to this board.

Wonder if that's a sign that Cal really is gone. He's generally considered their best/dirtiest recruiter, right?

Yeah, to me it's a much bigger deal that Antigua is leaving Kentucky than Wojo is leaving Duke. No question Antigua got Noel to Cal, and I'm not sure who else, but even if WWW is staying with Cal, Antigua will get some guys at USF. Same way Larry-I'm-hiring-danny-manning's-truck-driver-dad-to-coach-at-kansas-Brown is pulling Top 5 recruits at SMU.

I will say this for Brown, though, he can get his kids to execute. I watched SMU/Clemson, and SMU's sets were gloriously simple and very. very effective. When you watch a team like SMU just tear apart Clemson's defense, it makes you shake your head.

Aw. The smiley little girl with cancer that was Adrien Payne's BFF/helper in the dunk contest died last night. :(

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom