Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2015-16 Discussion Thread

best4heisman said:
Thought the national champs deserved their own thread.

This is going to be such a depressing comment which SMTTEM will undoubtedly bump in April if it actually happens.

That was a terribly constructed sentence, but UNC doesn't deserve my best efforts.

Highest usage Players IN order:

Johnson
Paige
Meeks
Jackson
Joel James
Hicks
Berry
Pinson

A smart coach:
Paige
Jackson
Berry
Johnson
Meeks
Pinson
James, Hicks - DNP

New line of thought on IC is that top recruits aren't coming because of how loaded they are at all positions.

Thain said:
New line of thought on IC is that top recruits aren't coming because of how loaded they are at all positions.
I'd say that's only about a good 5-10% of them. On premium 90% of the people seem to understand that Roy's recruiting is absolute trash. Also not posted on their but from I read on various sites guys like Meeks, Pinson are looking at trying to jump to the NBA after the year is over. Whenever anyone questions if Roy coaching UNC into the future is in the program's best interest you get the TIR's of the world that respond with what Roy did from 05-09. An attempt to have a rational discussion about the mediocrity that has been 2010-2015 just isn't tolerated by Roy homers

Duke will likely land top 15 recruit Frank Jackson, despite probably having Allen, Thornton, Kennard and Matt Jones (all top 30 recruits) in the backcourt already. They could also potentially land at least one of Wenyen Gabriel or Marque Bolden, despite potential conflicts with highly ranked players at the 3 and 4 positions. If you want to go to a school enough, a loaded roster isn't a deterrent (and can in fact be a positive).

Well yeah some guys shy away from competition but at the same time recruits don't want to go to a school where a guy might play just because he is a year older. (Britt over Berry), too many others to count

Is Berry even a good player? I remember him playing like shit when I saw him.

ChibCU said:
Is Berry even a good player? I remember him playing like shit when I saw him.
Berry came on stronger towards the end of the year. His stats wont show much but thats because of Roys stupid rotations. He wasn't good at the start of the year but was still better than Britt(not saying much)

thewiseben said:
rome8180 said:
Duke will likely land top 15 recruit Frank Jackson, despite probably having Allen, Thornton, Kennard and Matt Jones (all top 30 recruits) in the backcourt already. They could also potentially land at least one of Wenyen Gabriel or Marque Bolden, despite potential conflicts with highly ranked players at the 3 and 4 positions. If you want to go to a school enough, a loaded roster isn't a deterrent (and can in fact be a positive).

So there's a big difference between wanting the idea of what you think a given school will be like and then the reality of actually being there and finding yourself behind other players that are getting way more minutes than you. Competing day-in, day-out for a spot or for touches can definitely be a positive (it does make you better), but it's also probably exhausting and somewhat difficult to know that you'd be a star getting touches, media attention, and looks from scouts on another team.

We've certainly had enough transfers out in the last ten years that show how a competitive roster is NOT the right fit for a lot of guys who think that Duke/competition is what they want.

I don't disagree that over-recruiting, especially in the context of Coach K's preferred substitution patterns and depth chart, has led to our share of transfers.

However, there's something to be said for having a hot enough brand that a player would look at the depth chart and decide that the desire to play there isn't outweighed by the risk of being stuck on the bench. Duke has that right now. Carolina does not. If Carolina did, the chances are they'd have gotten someone in the top 25 to commit, regardless of how "stacked" they are. (And let's not pretend like it's Jabari Parker or Kyrie Irving on their roster.)

All of which is not disagreeing with you at all, especially your point that competition can be a deterrent as well as an incentive.

The thing is, Roy plays all his guys for the most part, even to the detriment of the team. UNC doesn't have the transfers because their kids play. The only time I've ever seen K go ten deep was the Jabari platoon year, and that lasted for a handful of games.

K knows that not all of his 5 star kids are going to play, but what is going to do, say "don't come to Duke"?

Yeah - generally Duke goes 7 deep. Aside from the Jabari year, I think they played 9 or 10 in 2008.

I don't know exactly what people mean when they say a team goes X guys deep (i.e., how many games or mpg does a guy have to play to count) but I feel like we've hardly ever had a team that only went 7 deep.

2006 was one, but I can't think of others offhand.

2001 generally used a 7-man rotation

I consider it to be how many players average 10+ minutes a game.

Yeah, I always thought 10+ was a bit too strict. By that metric, for example, Marshall (and his 9.6 mpg average in all 39 games) is out of the rotation in 2015.

Likewise, in 2014, we only had 7 guys average double-figures, but Jiggy averaged 9.5 mpg and played 30 (of 35) games, Marshall averaged mpg 8.5 and played 30 games, and Matt played 7.3 mpg and played 32 games. So how deep was that team? I don't know.

2001 is a good second example of a clear 7-guy rotation, though. Still think that's far rarer than 9 and 8 as far as K-era Duke goes, though

My ideal UNC rotation to start next year is
PG-Berry 26/Paige 12/Britt 2
SG- Paige 20/Pinson 15/Williams 5
SF-Jackson 30/Pinson 10
PF-Johnson 30/Hicks 10
C-Meeks 25/ Hicks 10/James 5

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads