Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA

He choked at the end there. Missed his last six shots or so that would have broken the record. Needed LeClutch to bail him out.

This guy.

Chris Paul has shot 54% on midrange jumpers over his last 300 games. Heard this on a podcast. I believe the number was as of January 28th. But I doubt it's gone down much since.

At any rate, there's part of your explanation. It turns out midrange shots are great if you can hit them at historic efficiency.

Yeah, he doesn't mention CP's historic production as an outlier when describing this offense.

Did the Nets sign an agreement with Durant where he gets to be the only wing on the roster?

I felt like even Jeff Green was huge for them last year. And now they've gone all in on guards and big men. Also, all the guards seem to be roughly the same player type. They just added Dragic. How does he make sense with Kyrie, Patty Mills, Seth Curry, and Cam Thomas?

I'm beginning to think that Zion's played his last game for the Pelicans. JJ went off on him this morning on First Take about being a detached teammate, not being fully invested in the team. The Pelicans sent out a season ticket renewal email and didn't mention Zion at all in the email. Zion's been accused of not reaching out to CJ McCollum after being traded there. We still have no idea wtf is actually going on with his foot either. Wouldn't be surprised if he was moved this offseason.

He's becoming as big a disappointment as any alum, mostly because he seemed like such the anti-diva during his time at Duke. I get it, the guy is fat and may eat himself out of the league. But for fuck's sake, he doesn't need to be a prima donna while he does it.

I can't understand what happened. A funny, seemingly humble guy who played hard turning into a churlish sloth. I guess it could be the money and attention, but he was a sensation when he was 16, and Capel got him the funds he needed for all the Bojangles he could ever want many years ago. The fuck is going on?

Prima donna? Diva? Well, goddamn, that's a little harsh isn't it? For an athlete that hasn't said one negative word publicly throughout this whole ordeal, nor through any reporter mouth pieces either. Especially since we have no real insight into his injury situation right now, or his weight, honestly.

Hard to square the circle of pro-player empowerment, but make an abrupt cutoff for the first four seasons of a player's career. I think it would be better for the sport if players fulfilled their contracts, yes, but I imagine it must be pretty awful being tied to a bad organization for four years, with zero choice in the matter. I've grown to hate previous jobs I had where I haven't even been working for a quarter of that length. And Zion did give them two years, during which their GM did a terrible job surrounding him with teammates and coaching, as @rome8180 has outlined.

Last edited:
Kawhi Leonard had his uncle run PR as a surrogate for him for two years, shitting on a HOF caliber organization and Coach in the Spurs and Gregg Popovich, respectively, until they traded him two seasons into a deal he signed with them on his own volition. But no one calls him a Diva.

Zion nor anyone in his family says nary a word, and all we know is he isn't playing this season while still dealing with injury rehabilitation to some extent, with at worst him not wanting to play for a terribly run franchise both historically and currently that he never had any choice in signing to play for, but social media is shitting all over him.

He's being an idiot even just in the context of his own self-interest. He played a total of one season's games across two years, then let himself go physically and is now missing another year of development for what should have been a minor setback while apparently cutting himself off completely from his organization and the teammates.

I'd have more understanding if he WAS demanding a trade, rather than just going MIA for no clear reason. That's not a reasonable exercise of power for a purpose, it's just kind of being a shit. He's not executing some savvy, beneficial plan by being out of shape, alienating players and fans, and missing 2 of his first 3 seasons in the league, though, and I'd say he deserves the shit he's getting.

tl:dr agree with D-U-K-E that he's worse than Stephen Miller and Nixon.

More subjectively, even the more generous interpretation that he's just secretly sitting out in protest to request a trade comes across as pretty entitled for a guy who's played 85 NBA games and hasn't shown he can stay healthy or in shape. He can do that if he wants (even if I think it would be dumb to continue missing development and brand building time), but then I also wouldn't blame fans for jumping off the bandwagon as result.

Maybe I was a little harsh, but it is mostly due to the contrast in his actions. He got hurt at Duke but seemingly stayed really engaged - I know there is a difference in time/travel/games - and seemed to bust his ass to come back, even though he had little to gain from it except to again have to defer to a player with a fraction of his talent. A I may have it wrong, but I think it was Zion who insisted that Joey Buckets was not some groupie of the 'Fab Four' but a real member of the recruiting class. If only CJ had Baker's cachet.

Anyway, I have enough faith in JJ's credibility and some of the things that have happened this year, that something seems to have changed w/r/t Zion's demeanor. I certainly don't think he is a bad guy, but he just seemed so damn wonderful at Duke that the fall off is a bummer. Maybe he just really needs RJ to get through life, though that too would be pretty disappointing.

There's also the possibility that Zion is listening to some bad advice. I imagine a lot of people with their own agendas have tried to attach themselves to him. How does a 21-year-old from Spartanburg, SC know who he should put his trust in?

JJ seemed genuinely pissed. He wasn't just giving a fiery take.

I also found it interesting that he wasn't just calling him out for his current behavior. He was criticizing the way Zion acted when they were on a team together. Zion's career had basically just started. While Griffin's been terrible in retrospect, he certainly deserved a chance at that point.

Kawhi was blasted and very unpopular when he did this. It was harder to hate Kawhi at that point, though, despite it being a more inexplicable stance on his part (wanting to leave a successful franchise that developed him perfectly). He had given them a Finals MVP performance and multiple titles, and he’s simply not a hatable person.

Zion will be torn apart and then he’ll go somewhere better, probably revive his career like Embiid, and he’ll be the most popular player in the league again if that happens. This is a smart move, IMO. A long as he performs, all is forgotten. I mean, just look at LeBron’s career, if the Kawhi example isn’t compelling.

They should definitely move the Pelicans to Seattle or Vegas, though. Enough is enough. They’ve been handed generational talent after generational talent and been one of the most consistently trash franchises in sports. I have a feeling a lot of star players would want to play in Vegas. Maybe even Zion Williamson.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom