Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2022-23] Notre Dame

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You shouldn't be.

Kenpom has us winning by 1. We probably will lose.

Margins in our last 7 ACC wins:

We‘re better at finishing off close games than we were in the last few years of K?

We're actually worse rated now on KP than the 2021 team, even with a better record and better wins and losses. I can't tell if that is impressive for Scheyer to punch above weight given we're the #40th rated team, or an indictment for being the #40th rated team.

Hurt would be such a boost for this roster, though

Last edited:
We’re not better at close games. We generally suck at the end of games, we turn losses into blow outs, small leads into losses, and big leads into close wins.

Margins in our last 7 ACC wins:

We‘re better at finishing off close games than we were in the last few years of K?

We're actually worse rated now on KP than the 2021 team, even with a better record and better wins and losses. I can't tell if that is impressive for Scheyer to punch above the weight given we're the #40th rated team, or an indictment for being the #40th rated team.

Hurt would be such a boost for this roster, though

Same. Gun to my head though, I’d say even 1992 K would have trouble getting us much higher with a backcourt that shoots 5/24, as it did tonight. Jon owns the roster construction, though, and must do better there going forward.

Some notable backcourt performances this year:

Vs Kansas: 10/35
Vs Oregon State: 4/28 (holy shit)
Vs BC: 8/24
@ NC State: 4/18
@ BC: 3/15
Vs Pitt: 6/20
@ VT: 7/22
@ Clemson: 6/21
@ Miami: 5/20
Tonight: 5/24 vs KP #314 defense

It’s quite jarring to actually look at. No fewer than ten games where our guards were a D- at best and an F at worst. Certainly the worst backcourt we’ve had since I started watching. Swap Roach/Proctor for Wake’s Appleby and Monsanto (Florida and ETSU transfers, respectively) and we’re probably leading the ACC fairly comfortably.

That has to be one of the worst offensive performances relative to quality of defensive opponent in Duke history, right? Maybe we had a worse performance in the 1950s or something.

That secret game they mentioned on the broadcast where we lost to NCCU by 44 comes to mind

My first Cameron experience was fun. Duke just missed too many shots around the rim, loose ball turnovers killed. The seats are so small I was sitting next to a dude who was probably pushing 300 pounds. Makes for an unpleasant seating experience.

I've been following Duke since around 2005 and I think this would've easily been the worst loss we've had in that time. The only two terrible home losses we've had over that period have been NC State in 2017 and SFA in 2020.

There was also the narrow (Zion-less) win at Cameron against a godawful Wake team in 2019 and the one point win over BC in 2021, so thats three times in four years we've almost blown one at home against an embarrassingly bad team. It's funny to think how worked up we got about beating Vermont by one point in 2014, a result that would now be viewed as a quality win.

The home losses to an 11-15 Notre Dame in 2021 and NIT bound UVA last year were really bad, too.

This one definitely would’ve taken the cake, though, and been our worst loss home or away in the KP era.

Losses to non-tournament teams in Cameron, going back to 1997:

2005 Maryland
2007 FSU
2012 Miami
2015 Miami
2017 NC State
2020 SFA
2021 ND
2021 Louisville
2022 UVA

I stopped watching at around halftime. The two Jaylen Blakes "shot" attempts did me in.
Based on comments, I assume it's best that I leave it there and not watch the replay of the second half as nothing will happen there that improves my opinion of this team and its coach.

Was there a Shot Quality tweet about this?

ND's shot quality was objectively terrible. I swear 80% of their made baskets were midrange fadeaways.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom