Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] Baylor (Garden Classic, New York)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
0061979-ygtk-1280x720.jpg

Wednesday, December 20, 7pm ET, ESPN
Madison Square Garden

Kenpom: 7 overall, 2 offense, 43 defense

This should be the first time Duke are underdogs this season. Baylor's offense is elite in several important ways: they're #1 in the country in 3PT%; they're also good on 2s and FTs; they're one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country; and they're great at getting to the line.

The five Baylor players who get the most playing time shoot 48%, 47%, 46%, 41% and 39% from 3. While some regression is expected from those unsustainable levels, their FT percentages suggests this isn't too fluky - those guys shoot 87%, 87%, 82%, 88% and 82% from the line, respectively. Overcommitting to running them off the arc isn't going to work, given they shoot 70% at the rim as a team and are adept at drawing fouls when the defense breaks down.

RayJ Dennis, a 5th year transfer from Toledo and Boise State, is the engine at PG. He looks to pass much more than shoot, and while his 38% assist rate is spectacular, the biggest problem for Baylor has been his 26% turnover rate. Unfortunately for Duke, the turnovers appear to be at least somewhat fluky, as his TO rate last season was only 12%. When Dennis gets this under control (likely starting with the Duke game), their offense essentially becomes unstoppable.

7-0 freshman Yves Missi and 6-10 sophomore Josh Ojianwuna split time at center. Missi was the #37 overall recruit on 247 composite and is your classic high efficiency garbage man with great rebounding, shot blocking, finishing at the rim and a ridiculous FT rate, but no range and terrible FT shooting. Ojianwuna was a 3-star recruit and is a solid replica of Missi but worse in almost every way. Both of them have foul issues; Missi commits almost 5 fouls per 40 minutes and Ojianwuna commits over 7 per 40. It’s not clear that pounding them inside with Filipowski and Mitchell would be a positive for Duke, though. Baylor being forced to play 5 out on offense doesn’t feel like a win.

This will be Duke’s final chance to notch a decent non-conference win, assuming Michigan State continues to look like garbage. Ironically, MSU is Baylor’s next opponent before Baylor takes on Duke. An MSU win could cast this game in a very different light.

A hobbled Proctor will return to play in front of NBA scouts in MSG and proceed to get humiliated by Baylor's guards in front of a national audience.

Baylor by 15.

The Baylor/Gonzaga title game remains one of the most stunning wire to wire performances I’ve ever seen. It’s weird and impressive that Baylor has another title contender a few years later that’s so eerily similar on paper (I haven’t watched Baylor play this season, so they might be eerily similar not on paper, too).

That title team was #1 in 3PT% and #2 on offense and had multiple bigs out of Africa as well, along with a defense that looked like it should be better than its efficiency ranking (they finished #22). When Baylor wanted to turn the screws, Gonzaga had no chance on offense. We have to hope they don’t GAF about Duke because Duke has been so mediocre so far, but that’s not happening.

I don't believe that any team shoots 46% from three while holding their opponents to 27% without a LOT of luck involved.

Also, apart from Auburn, Baylor hasn't played anyone.

Last edited:
The way Duke could win this game is simply through shooting variance. I don't remotely expect that to happen. But there's your path.

As somewhat expected, Baylor gets demolished by MSU. Down 30 late, shooting 27% from 3 and 44% FT. 6 turnovers for Dennis. Baylor’s numbers will look much worse after this, and they are due for the performance of their lives.

Duke should actually be favored in this game now, which gives degenerate emotional hedgers here a great opportunity to make money on a plus moneyline.

Last edited:
Baylor will be coming into MSG with a chip on their shoulders and something to prove and assorted shit like that.

The "Superbowl" stuff may be silly, but I do expect at least three of their players to have a murderous hatred of Duke based on absolutely nothing. This hatred will be fueled into transcendent, un-replicatable play.

Using the term Super Bowl is annoying, but I definitely believe Duke gets a better effort from opponents when Duke goes in the road. For most teams it’s about the only home game they’ll play in front of a sold out crowd.
I also think a lot of players have been indoctrinated their whole lives to think beating Duke is the equivalent to taking down Hitler. It doesn't even matter if Duke is particularly good that year. This mission from God supercharges them with incredible focus and energy.

It’s amazing to me that Filipowski isn’t getting more worldwide hatred. Maybe I’m so checked out of college sports that I just don’t see it. I would assume with how he looks, how he plays, his upbringing, and being preseason AA, players would take shots at him all the time and fans would want him dead. Maybe it’s because K is gone.

The last Duke player to ignite white hot hatred was Grayson. I haven’t seen too much anger towards Filipowski at all. The furor over Allen truly felt like the last gasp of organic Duke hate that was already past its peak by 2010.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom