Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] Georgia Tech

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This game felt like almost a exact replay of the first game, other than that game being much uglier. Duke loses a starter basically at the beginning of the game. GTech basically leads the whole 2nd half, Duke make a run late in the game and finally take the lead. The only difference is that 1st game had a Tech foul called that basically turns the game in their favor again, this game no Tech and Duke holds on.

We have 1 week and Pitt to get Roach healthy

With potentially two starters out Duke is vulnerable. We have no idea to the extent of those injuries to Roach and Mitchell. I hate the feeling we just will limp into the NCAA Tournament again.

I don't think Flip is a great one-in for a four-guard lineup, unfortunately. Beneath his big counting stats today was 6-19 from 2 and 6 Drebs.

I still think we're a much better team when he's on the perimeter screening and spacing the floor with Mitchell in the dunker spot than when we use him as a post player. I want our guards to dominate the ball, not stand around while we iso Flip.

I don't think Flip is a great one-in for a four-guard lineup, unfortunately. Beneath his big counting stats today was 6-19 from 2 and 6 Drebs.

I still think we're a much better team when he's on the perimeter screening and spacing the floor with Mitchell in the dunker spot than when we use him as a post player. I want our guards to dominate the ball, not stand around while we iso Flip.
Imagine if Duke had an elite athlete on the bench who could fill in at the dunker spot.

I should add, I'm sure there's a version of a 5-out offense with Flip and four guards that would kill. I assume it is would require more complex coordination and cutting and such, which is why we haven't really seen it pop up midseason.

I can appreciate the theory behind having Flip attack mismatches when the defense can't help without leaving shooters, but he's not a consistent enough finisher against any semblance of length/athleticism to justify stagnating the rest of our offense and preventing our guards from getting into a flow.

As a side note, I wish he'd unlearn his "surprise jump into defender, square up in the air, flip at the rim, and go for the rebound" finish a bit. It works sometimes, but I think he'd often be better off taking another dribble to gather his balance and finishing at the rim like a normal 7-footer.

I should add, I'm sure there's a version of a 5-out offense with Flip and four guards that would kill. I assume it is would require more complex coordination and cutting and such, which is why we haven't really seen it pop up midseason.

I can appreciate the theory behind having Flip attack mismatches when the defense can't help without leaving shooters, but he's not a consistent enough finisher against any semblance of length/athleticism to justify stagnating the rest of our offense and preventing our guards from getting into a flow.

As a side note, I wish he'd unlearn his "surprise jump into defender, square up in the air, flip at the rim, and go for the rebound" finish a bit. It works sometimes, but I think he'd often be better off taking another dribble to gather his balance and finishing at the rim like a normal 7-footer.
I think my favorite post move of his has actually become that little 8-foot turnaround fadeaway in the middle of the lane. It's pretty much unguardable because he's 7 feet tall and he's falling away from his defender. Also, he has enough touch to consistently hit such a short shot.

I agree that I don't really like most of the other post moves, especially the drives into contact that result in a wild flailing Plumlee-style shot.

Yeah, I think he's pretty good whenever he takes his time and stays on balance - he usually does pretty well turning over his left shoulder as well. He just gets sped up and tries to spasmically do too much on too many drives.

Mainly though, I dislike what it does to the rest of our offense. Whenever our guards actually get into a rhythm of passing, cutting; and making decisive moves, we tend to look amazing.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom