Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2016-2017

Man, too bad we needed a PG for last year. We probably could have landed DSJ.

thewiseben said:
Can't say I blame Abu, also not a bad time for him to go if he wants a chance at the NBA.

Gravely said the feedback Abu got from NBA was "not draftable at this time".

What do you make of UK if Briscoe stays in the draft? They have 3 guards left at that point, one of which is a near walkon quality local filler. The rest of their starting lineup is then freshmen, including playing Gabriel at the 3 for 30 minutes a game.

Am I missing something? Sounds like a 4 seed at best, nothing close to a preseason #1. Are they going to run a 1 out 4 in offense?

Gabriel at the 3 seems insane to me. Cal will probably make it work by having top 3 defense and rebounding, but it will be pretty limiting.

I continue to think that Kansas (and Villanova, if Hart returns) will be better than UK. I don't think they're quite 4 seed bad, but I could see any of Oregon, UNC Purdue (if they return their guys), Indiana and Michigan State also having better seasons than UK.

The problem with evaluating UK is that we won't really know how good they are until the NCAA tournament starts because they'll be too young to really judge in Nov/Dec, and the SEC is likely going to be even worse next year, so they'll be playing a glorified mid-major schedule from Jan-early March. I have seen early top 25 lists with zero teams from the SEC in them other than UK.

Today, we add two more NC State players to the long line of NC State players who realized they were not very good at basketball. Losing over and over didn't do it for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
DurhamSon said:
What do you make of UK if Briscoe stays in the draft? They have 3 guards left at that point, one of which is a near walkon quality local filler. The rest of their starting lineup is then freshmen, including playing Gabriel at the 3 for 30 minutes a game.

Am I missing something? Sounds like a 4 seed at best, nothing close to a preseason #1. Are they going to run a 1 out 4 in offense?

If Briscoe leaves, I think UK is a top 10-15 team, that will probably look better than they are in SEC play. With Briscoe, I think they're a legitimate top 5 team because it allows Briscoe to play heavy minutes at the 3 as opposed to Gabriel, which will turn out to be terrible. I think if Briscoe returns UK will be elite defensively and will smother teams. Without him, they'll still be good on defense, but not as good. They'll clean up the boards, but I think Gabriel will struggle to defend on the perimeter.

I also don't think UK's two incoming freshman guards will play well off of each other, but Briscoe can be a safety valve so to speak in that he'll be the glue to keep it together. Both of those freshman love the ball in their hands, and I know one of them for sure appears to be a high volume guy. The spacing on that time will stink, with or without Briscoe, but at least Briscoe is quick, handles the ball well and finishes well inside which will help open up the perimeter. Gabriel is just...whatever, at the 3, and I really think would be a disaster.

What's also nice is that Bolden would've been their best post scorer. Ideally their best bet would've been to just pound it inside like they did in 2015, or how UNC does every year, and either score or just own the offensive glass, but none of those guys even possess an ounce of the offensive ability Karl Towns or Trey Lyles did. I might be overstating his significance, but I really think Briscoe is extremely important, just based on the fact that he'll be a "veteran" on a very inexperienced team, and he'll provide a third guard. That's not great depth, but it's enough. It would also make them elite defensively in the back court, as opposed to being very vulnerable to a team going small at the 3 against Gabriel.

I don't think Marcus Lee makes a difference. They need someone to score in the post, and through 3 years he has shown zero ability to do that. If Briscoe doesn't return, it forces Gabriel into the 3 hole, which is an impending disaster, and also puts UK with only two guards, the two freshman. That will be a ton of pressure on two freshman guards to literally carry the offense. Even with Briscoe we are still significantly better than UK, but him being on the roster would make them good enough defensively to be able to beat any team.

StopThePumpFakesShav said:
I continue to think that Kansas (and Villanova, if Hart returns) will be better than UK. I don't think they're quite 4 seed bad, but I could see any of Oregon, UNC Purdue (if they return their guys), Indiana and Michigan State also having better seasons than UK.

The problem with evaluating UK is that we won't really know how good they are until the NCAA tournament starts because they'll be too young to really judge in Nov/Dec, and the SEC is likely going to be even worse next year, so they'll be playing a glorified mid-major schedule from Jan-early March. I have seen early top 25 lists with zero teams from the SEC in them other than UK.

The SEC is the perfect conference for Calipari to be in. The conference works perfectly with how he recruits. Every year he has 4-6 freshman playing huge minutes, and a lot of the time they look pretty "meh" in the non-conference part of the schedule. But, because the SEC is so bad, the freshman are able to gain confidence in conference play, and that's where UK usually begins to take off because they literally just out talent everyone.

Current national title odds from Bovada (Bolden's commitment had no effect on these odds):

Duke 4.5-1
Kentucky 6.5-1
Villanova 8.5-1
Kansas 10-1
Louisville 10-1
Michigan State 12-1
North Carolina 12-1
Indiana 20-1
Oregon 20-1
Virginia 20-1

Should be a legitimate NPOY favorite next season, so this is a big deal. Never thought he would even come close to leaving.

I think he's coming back. If Jenkins also comes back, they should be a top 7-10 team. The losses of Ochefu and Arcidiacno are huge, so for that reason I don't think they'll be top 5. They do however bring in two highly rated big men, I believe one is a 5-star, and Jalen Brunson a freshman on last season's team should make a significant jump in production, he's going to have a very good career there.

Slap the Floor said:
I think he's coming back. If Jenkins also comes back, they should be a top 7-10 team. The losses of Ochefu and Arcidiacno are huge, so for that reason I don't think they'll be top 5. They do however bring in two highly rated big men, I believe one is a 5-star, and Jalen Brunson a freshman on last season's team should make a significant jump in production, he's going to have a very good career there.

Jenkins has already withdrawn from the draft. What six teams would be ahead of them if Hart also comes back? The addition of a five-star big seems to be exactly what they need to at least help in replacing Ochefu.

On paper, yes, but in today's college basketball I really doubt that their 5-star freshman big man is going to be of the quality Daniel Ochefu was as a senior. Arcidiacano(?) and Ochefu were tremendously important to that team. Ochefu was a really good rebounder, he passed well, and defended well. He was a perfect modern basketball big man. I think Ochefu started for 3 or 4 years. I don't think you're going to replace his importance and production with a freshman that will probably struggle to grasp everything in one season.

I am not saying replace. I am saying help replace, or in other words, mitigate. I just want to know what 6-9 teams you have over them.

I shouldn't have mentioned "7" when I said 7-10. That was a mistake on my part. Maybe to better clarify, I would put them as a top 10 team with their ceiling being as high as 3-4 and their floor being 9-10. Assuming everyone still wavering returns, I think Duke, Kansas and Kentucky are the top 3 teams. Wisconsin, Villanova, Seton Hall, Xavier, Michigan State, Louisville are on the same level of them. Although, while I think those teams can reach the same ceiling as Villanova, I think some of them have lower floors.

Slap the Floor said:
I shouldn't have mentioned "7" when I said 7-10. That was a mistake on my part. Maybe to better clarify, I would put them as a top 10 team with their ceiling being as high as 3-4 and their floor being 9-10. Assuming everyone still wavering returns, I think Duke, Kansas and Kentucky are the top 3 teams. Wisconsin, Villanova, Seton Hall, Xavier, Michigan State, Louisville are on the same level of them. Although, while I think those teams can reach the same ceiling as Villanova, I think some of them have lower floors.

Seton Hall at the same level of Villanova. Ok.

dub_seahawks said:
Slap the Floor said:

Seton Hall at the same level of Villanova. Ok.

He isn't smart enough to be embarrassed by that so we have to be embarrassed for him.

Is Wisconsin really supposed to be that good? They add nothing and Nigel Hayes has regressive basketball abilities. Therefore, I have them worsening.

Don't think we should be too worried about Seton Hall.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom