Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Documentaries

True, but it’s mind blowing that there are people out there that would allow an adult to sleep with their kid. One of the most shocking documentaries I’ve ever seen. Tough to watch and very infuriating. Especially with the outcome.

The Ted Bundy documentary series on Netflix is so fascinating. I think I always assumed that he killed a bunch of women in Washington, was caught, and that was the end of it. Didn't realize about the two escapes, the murders in multiple states, etc.

He's also so eerie for how well he fakes normal social charm. Every time he speaks, I find myself liking him for a split second. He's extremely articulate too. I'm surprised there haven't been more movies and novels with him as the main character.

Anyone know of any good crime docs on Netflix/Hulu/Prime? I feel like I've seen a lot of the more well known ones.

I enjoyed that series as well. It was funny to me just how arrogant he was.
Yeah, he was clearly brilliant but not as brilliant as he thought he was. It seemed like there was some huge disconnect or failure to accept the reality of his circumstances.

Last edited:
My other thought was how easy it was to disappear in the '70s. If Bundy hadn't kept killing in Florida, he might have disappeared forever.

It's almost impossible to evade detection now unless you already have black market connections. You need an ID to do almost anything. I guess you could still steal a car.

My other thought was how easy it was to disappear in the '70s. If Bundy hadn't kept killing in Florida, he might have disappeared forever.

It's almost impossible to evade detection now unless you already have black market connections. You need an ID to do almost anything. I guess you could still steal a car.
There are cameras everywhere on roads now.

Yep. Though you're not going to be checking a random camera on a rural highway in Tennessee if you have no idea what state someone's in. I get that we live in a surveillance state, but you still need someone to actually have a reason to look at the footage.

I go through this in my mind sometimes, despite never having committed any crimes that would require me to go on the run. It's probably just the novelist part of my brain. You'd obviously have to get a fake ID and a bunch of cash to start with. You can't even sleep in a motel without showing an ID. You can get on an Amtrak without ID if you use their self-service kiosk, but that means you have to have pre-purchased a ticket online with a credit or debt card which you have to insert into the kiosk. If the card is reported stolen, that would create a record of use. If you're buying the ticket it cash, you're going to have to show ID at the window.

I would have no idea how to even get my hands on a fake ID, let alone make one. So I'd be walking. Would have to steal food from grocery stores and rob random people on the street, hoping they were the one in ten who had cash.

I don't think being identified by random strangers is a big concern. Can you tell me who the 10 most wanted criminals are right now? And even if you could, would you know without seeing a photo what they look like? And even if you could, would you be sure enough of it to report them?

Last edited:
Yep. Though you're not going to be checking a random camera on a rural highway in Tennessee, if you have no idea what state someone's in. I get that we live in a surveillance state, but you still need someone to actually have a reason to look at the footage.
But with facial recognition software becoming better and better this might not be as much of an issue for law enforcement in the future.

Anyone know of any good crime docs on Netflix/Hulu/Prime? I feel like I've seen a lot of the more well known ones.
I'm watching An Innocent Man. It has some flaws -- too much dramatic reenactment, too much ominous music for no reason -- but really gripping overall. The John Grisham book it's based on is really good as well.

Tim Donaghy documentary on Netflix (part of the “Untold” series) is probably in line with most of your interests. Basketball, gambling, mob, white collar crime, David Stern as the mastermind villain. I didn’t know how much Stern/NBA orchestrated everything.

My dad recommended I check out the John McAfee documentary, said it was really good and interesting. Gonna try to watch that this week.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom