Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Bball Alumni

Also, Luke gives effort on defense. The best he's going to become is JJ Redick on that end -- a net negative but not a crippling one.
Yeah Luke's effort on defense really isn't the question - he's just completely terrible on that end of the court. He was unequivocally the worst defender on the team last year. On the other hand, JJ has never been a categorically terrible defender nor the worst defender on any team he's ever played on.

JJ was quicker laterally and had a much better grasp of team defensive principles. JJ's underrated intensity on the defensive end is probably the reason that despite being one of the most hated players in Duke history - many Duke haters rarely reference him when regaling one another with their favorite tales about "dook floppers".

Frankly I don't think there's any chance Luke develops into the type of defender where articles like this are made about him:
http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/redicks-impac-not-just-on-offense/

Last edited:
@2001Dukechamps I'm not convinced that effort isn't part of Luke's problem. There are plenty of players who can make up for their physical limitations by giving a shit and trying. Kennard clearly understands his physical limitations on offense, as evidenced by his arsenal of head, ball and pump fakes, plus the creative use of his pivot foot.

I kinda of think his defensive effort sucked, especially against South Carolina

I disagree with your statement, Farmer. I think some players just lack defensive intelligence. And I don't think it's necessarily connected to how intelligent on offense you are.

JJ was limited in terms of quickness. He had a solid defensive IQ IMO. Luke is the dumbest and laziest defensive player I've seen at Duke. Even worse than Jabari.

Sorry, but no way is he worse than Jabari on defense. I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

CMon was a noted Luke hater and Thornton defender on old TDD. No point in even discussing Luke with him.

I disagree with your statement, Farmer. I think some players just lack defensive intelligence. And I don't think it's necessarily connected to how intelligent on offense you are.
I think it's hard to distinguish between lacking defensive effort and lacking defensive intelligence. You have to have effort in order to develop defensive intelligence. Like, if you look at Duke's best defenders over time, defensive effort and defensive intelligence are virtually inseparable--Battier, Billy King, Wojo, TT to name a few. They got smart at defense by putting in the effort and honing their craft. Certainly, they would know the scheme and they would understand the game plan the coaches put in place, but that is also a by product of them putting in the effort to get to a place to understand it. Not just a mental place, but a physical place, too

Defense takes way more energy than offense. Some players just rest on defense because there is very little reward to expending the energy. I think Kennard could become a serviceable defender. He's a good athlete who has clearly put in the time to refine one of the best jumpers in Duke history. He won't be good at defense until he feels like it's important.

We used to talk about Jabari's defense all the time. Jabari was a great rebounder, you could see that he valued rebounding and put a ton of effort into it. He was committed to it and got good at it. He could do the same thing with defense if he valued it.

DMd2crLVQAAB_XY.jpg:large

The most striking thing to me about this picture is that I would never have recognized Brandon Ingram except for the jersey. I think it's the fact that he's actually smiling and looks awake.

I do like that the only picture they could find of Seth Curry is with his eyes closed.

DMd2crLVQAAB_XY.jpg:large

The most striking thing to me about this picture is that I would never have recognized Brandon Ingram except for the jersey. I think it's the fact that he's actually smiling and looks awake.

Ingram looks like Kramer after those low flow shower heads were installed in his apartment.

It's official: A dukie is once again the worst contract in the NBA. Can't even crack the rotation on a bottom 5 NBA team. Completely, utterly untradable without attaching a 1st round pick or perhaps Ingram, maybe.

Deng had a good career but he's definitely done by now.

Lakers were dumb to give him that albatross of a contract. Really are Knicks - West.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom