Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Is this the first game where we didn't play a single possession of man?

I hope we just give up on m2m completely and only play zone from now on. If they actually practiced it, they might eventually not suck at rotations and give up so many open jumpers.

Also, were we playing some kind of weird 1-3-1 today with a guard in the middle? It was like a 1-1-3, almost.

That's the thing -- I think the zone gives up more open threes than the man. Teams that can put three or four shooters out there take advantage of our sloppy rotations. Luckily, Georgia Tech is not one of those teams.

Speaking of defense, here's Capel on AOC:

"Capel said O’Connell is a player who brings energy to the team, and he’s been most effective on defense.

“And that’s because of his activity and playing hard, getting deflections, getting in passing lanes,” Capel said about O’Connell."

Any time we see a window into how the coaches actually interpret what they see on basketball courts, it's so terrifying.

Speaking of defense, here's Capel on AOC:

"Capel said O’Connell is a player who brings energy to the team, and he’s been most effective on defense.

“And that’s because of his activity and playing hard, getting deflections, getting in passing lanes,” Capel said about O’Connell."

Any time we see a window into how the coaches actually interpret what they see on basketball courts, it's so terrifying.

This explains so much.

99% of everything he does on defense is awful, but once in a blue moon, one of his random, overcomitting spasms will place him in a "passing lane". This therefore makes his overall defensive play a net positive to the Duke coaches.

It really does explain so much.

I don't take anything the coaches say publicly seriously. Lots of politics involved behind the scenes.

They've said/implied Alex's defense should be worked on publicly before, but they're not going to kill him for it, which is what repeatedly harping on it to the press would be. That's not the Army/Krzyzewski way. It is a bit weird to outsiders but I have no real issue. Same thing applies to those towels when somebody is injured. Everything is kept in-house. None of anyone's damn business, and that especially applies to our opposition.

Alex just needs to get better on defense and everything will be fine. I have faith he will.

AOC does seem to get yanked pretty quickly when he fucks up defensively, so I'd agree that those comments should be taken with a grain of salt. He also has the lowest steal rate on the team. It's like the staff is just trying to find something to say about him besides "his defense is a disaster."

I actually agree with that. This program features Trevon Duval whenever possible in random Twitter posts about recent wins and whatever borderline propaganda they can come up with. Look at this:

They do their best to paper over any cracks. They will never post meaningful Jahlil Okafor NBA stats other than something like "Big Jah had a double-double for the Nets tonight!" They will never say "Tricky is working hard to improve his shooting and awareness." K may rip on the team as a whole after terrible losses, but the coaches are only going to highlight positives by individual players. The worst we'll ever hear is something like "he needs to have a stronger face in the next game," especially for a freshman.

On the bright side, Alex's defense is actually slighter better than Luke Kennard's at the same stage. I am basing that off DBPM and DRtg. Alex is also taller and more athletic (eye test).

I actually agree with that. This program features Trevon Duval whenever possible in random Twitter posts about recent wins and whatever borderline propaganda they can come up with. Look at this:

They do their best to paper over any cracks. They will never post meaningful Jahlil Okafor NBA stats other than something like "Big Jah had a double-double for the Nets tonight!" They will never say "Tricky is working hard to improve his shooting and awareness." K may rip on the team as a whole after terrible losses, but the coaches are only going to highlight positives by individual players. The worst we'll ever hear is something like "he needs to have a stronger face in the next game," especially for a freshman.

Right on. I don't think there's anything borderline about it- it is propaganda Every picture and every tweet has a purpose. It's going to drive smart people insane if they take what he or Capel (or many coaches) says seriously. It sort of validates the whole "Brotherhood" thing, too, in a sense. K has created an atmosphere that protects its members at all costs from outsiders. It sounds hokey to us, but there seems to be real tangible benefits to its members. Internally he's probably ripping them to shreds. The man's mentor was Robert Montgomery Knight, after all. But we're never going to see that. Never, ever in a million years would K throw a guy under the bus to the media. And I greatly admire that. Those are his guys, and he rides or dies with them. You never leave one behind. He then sells that. And it obviously works per recruiting rankings.

Nick Saban is the exact same way. So is Bill Belichick. Absolute control and obsession over every detail: one could argue that's the great separator in many fields.

Right on. I don't think there's anything borderline about it- it is propaganda Every picture and every tweet has a purpose. It's going to drive smart people insane if they take what he or Capel (or many coaches) says seriously. It sort of validates the whole "Brotherhood" thing, too, in a sense. K has created an atmosphere that protects its members at all costs from outsiders. It sounds hokey to us, but there seems to be real tangible benefits to its members. Internally he's probably ripping them to shreds. The man's mentor was Robert Montgomery Knight, after all. But we're never going to see that. Never, ever in a million years would K throw a guy under the bus to the media. And I greatly admire that. Those are his guys, and he rides or dies with them. You never leave one behind. He then sells that. And it obviously works per recruiting rankings.

Nick Saban is the exact same way. So is Bill Belichick. Absolute control and obsession over every detail: one could argue that's the great separator in many fields.

Beginning with the creation of DBP, Duke has done an incredible turnaround as far as public appearance goes. Between 2005-2009 Duke was just getting crushed in the media and it was just so damaging to Duke basketball's public image. With the creation of DBP which I believe around 2008-2009 or so, Duke began to have a say in the public narrative about themself. DBP, which had a strong foundation, just completely took off in the perfect storm of 2011 which was the combination of freshman sensation Kyrie Irving and senior Nolan Smith. Both players were very good, and both were very charismatic and everything just really took off from there. Duke's image completely changed.

The 2010 National Championship only changed the image of the program in the sense that Coach K wasn't "finished" which many media types had been proclaiming, especially when they were (and still do) ramming the Izzo is the best coach crap down everyone's throat. So in that sense, 2010 gave Coach K the opportunity to pivot quick and change his image which he did successfully through the help of DBP. However, the 2011 season just gave Duke a ton of street cred, and the fact that it was piggy backing off of a National Championship really created a huge wind of momentum which Duke has maintained through incredible branding and promoting of the players/Coach K through DBP.

As evidenced by UNC's Runner Up and National Championship in back to back seasons, winning doesn't necessarily change your public image- and I don't believe that 2010 did for Duke. It certainly helped, but 2011 (using the momentum) from 2010 just changed everything. Just as an example, UNC has no stars, no NBA players on this team, and their overall branding/marketing on social media doesn't appeal nationally. They appeal to their fanbase, but they aren't broadening their image outside of NC. UNC has NBA players but they just do an awful job promoting those guys.

TL;DR- 2011, baby.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom