Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

It wasn't just Krzyzewski and Boeheim coaching the Olympics together, though. Their long-time assistants, Mike Hopkins (Syracuse) and Jeff Capel (Duke) held strategic meetings as well.

"You spend a lot of time together, watching tape and talking about things," said Krzyzewski. "Especially Mike (Hopkins) and Jeff (Capel) talked about the zone. Not just the X's and O's, but the mentality that you have to have. Teaching it, some of the drills, but also the mindset. We picked up a lot from them, as we did from Thom Thibadeau, McMillan and Dantonio and Monte Williams.

Wojo on ESPN in the NIT quarterfinals vs Penn State. Really good crowd for Marquette. I feel like Wojo is about to turn the corner there soon. He has a lot coming back and another good recruit coming in with the Hauser kid. Wojo clearly can't teach defense because his defenses suck, but, Marquette is a place where a good coach can not only win but win big. They have a passionate fanbase, there is no football program so the basketball program is well funded and receives plenty of support, and they play in a good conference. Coaches have won there in the past.

If he can't win at Marquette he's not a good coach- that's a really good place to be.

So the board is automatically replacing "The M.a.s.t.e.r" (without the periods) with Mike Krzyzewski?

"It was an embarrassment," one coach who faced Duke told ESPN. "It was a combination [of the fact] that they didn't want to defend, and that they couldn't defend."
"He got an idea of how to run it and saw some of the things we do," Boeheim said of how Krzyzewski picked it up. "And he's adapted it to his personnel. I think they play it well, not like we do. They play it differently." "His big guys really make it tough. They are more physical and stronger inside than we are. We're used to playing it, we've practiced more with it. We try and cover the outside a lot more than they do."
"You better have big perimeter people that can pass into the high post," Rhode Island coach Dan Hurley said after his team managed just 62 points in a second-round loss to Duke. "Problem becomes even when you get it to the high post, they have that type of rim protection and then they fan out and leave Carter one-on-one protecting the rim and fan out and take away the 3-point line. You're in a world of trouble."
"The biggest thing is you need to practice it, or you can't use it in a game," Boeheim said of the 2-3. "His zone's gotten better because they are practicing it all the time. You can't just throw it out there and think it's going to work."
"We practiced it with the Olympic team, so Mike knows it," Boeheim said. "He has our game film at Syracuse. It's really not that complicated."
Boeheim provides some nice insights into what The Apprentice is doing with the zone. Contrary to what many fans believe, Boeheim seems to believe practicing the zone all season instead of wasting time on m2m would have helped Duke at this point.

It still shocks me we couldn't field a competitive m2m defense with the roster we have.

These kids simply dont play good defense for the first 18 years of their lives. Expecting them to immediately be good at something they devote zero attention to is a bit foolish.

I think that's a fair statement @Topher and as someone who coaches at the youth level, it is absolutely. Coaches do a terrible job at 1.) teaching the fundamentals of man to man defense 2.) Consistently running man to man defense, as a lot of coaches especially in grades 5-8 will opt for zone defense in the half-court and zone presses in the full-court. 3.) Demanding a consistent effort on the defensive side of the ball. Too many coaches just won't demand enough defensively out of players.

However, while I think this is the biggest problem when it comes to m2m defense, it isn't the only problem. Calipari does a good job most years in getting a lot out of his freshman dominated teams to not just be good defensive teams, but sometimes even great. There are problems either with the way the defense is being taught by Coach K or how much they are emphasizing it.

These kids simply dont play good defense for the first 18 years of their lives. Expecting them to immediately be good at something they devote zero attention to is a bit foolish.
I think some of it comes natural too though. I've started playing in a league again and old habits popped up naturally. I know it's just a dumb men's league but I noticed myself talking and communicating on defense than any of my other teammates.

I agree, most of it is coaching but I think a little of it comes naturally.

People have to actually want to play defense because it's hard. Most people don't want to do hard things. Like, in order to get better at shooting, you can go to the gym by yourself and shoot 200 corner triples in about an hour.. In order to get better at defense, you have to practice with 9 other guys who all give a shit.

It's hard.

I still think a lot of the blame has to fall on K for his poor m2m defensive coaching. It can't all fall back on youth or poor high school coaching because then you have to question why Cal has been better at it than K in the OAD era (though this year may be evening that out somewhat, but still Cal has never had the defensive disasters of K).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom