Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Thornton shot 96% from the line this season (21-22). What an odd player, who will likely go into the music industry after college.

After doing all the math with very conservative assumptions, I think it’s safe to say the offense would be better than it has been over the past several games (around 115 adjusted efficiency) if Duval simply got the ball past midcourt and then Trent or Allen heaved it from 25-30 feet without even trying to make a play or get a better shot, and with everyone else hunting for rebounds. Minimal turnovers. The tempo doesn’t even need to be fast with this approach; the guards could sit on the ball for 30 seconds before shooting if they prefer. If the defense extends to adjust to this strategy, Duke has won anyway - the spacing problem with the offense will be gone.

This isn’t meant to be a viable suggestion. It’s just meant to suggest that the stupidest, simplest approach would be better than what Duke is doing on offense these days, due to the extreme turnover problems they’re having. It shouldn’t be so difficult to find a middle ground by instructing the guards to stop driving into traffic so much without a good idea of what they’re going to do with the ball, and to stop making Hail Mary-type entries and lobs into the post.

I would really like to see the coaching staff add more defensive pressure during games. I really don't know why we don't 1-2-2 3/4 pressure more. It generates a couple of turnovers a game, and it forces teams to begin their offense with anywhere between 18-22 seconds against our zone. This makes our 2-3 much more effective because if you take away their initial action (almost always looking to get into the high post) now they're down to about 13-15 on the clock and they haven't done anything yet, and you're getting really close to either forcing a 25 ft 3 or a contest jump-shot from somewhere.

I'd also like to see trap a little bit more like we did at the end of the game. I know that was desperation time, but, throwing at a team for one possession out of a timeout or after a made 3 is a nice change-up. I hate to sound whiny, but I just feel like sitting in a 2-3 zone the entire game with no change-up at all is just allowing teams to get more comfortable against it. UNC was in a total rhythm and we did absolutely nothing to take them out.

I personally would like to just see us go 1-2-2 3/4 contain after every full-court dead ball/made free throw/made basket. It works and is effective and it rarely allows points.

We have to do something. Can't just sit and play 2-3 for 40 minutes. I'd mix in a bit more press and even play a few minutes of man to man.

This thread confuses me. Can't decide if the offense is broken or if the defense is broken.

Maybe the correct answer is that both are broken.
No, no. It's definitely one or the other.

Let's see, defense consistently rising to top 10 on Kenpom, offense slipping to a disgusting 3rd nationally.

Need to address our shitty zone.

The offense is broken. As someone pointed out in another thread, UriNC has seen the 2-3 zone 4 times in two weeks so maybe Roy isn't the genius we think he is and they finally figured out how to beat it. The defense was working fine until we played a team that we played 5 days ago and they've seen our defense 4 times in less than a month.

With that said, I still believe we need to mix in more pressing and a little bit of m2m.

I think part of the issue with the offense is that the opponents have been bad matchups and just cold shooting. The way to stop Duke's offense is to keep them out of the paint, force them to chuck threes and be a good defensive rebounding team. Virginia Tech, Syracuse and UNC are all defenses predicated on keeping the ball out of the paint at all costs while forcing jumpers. That is 4 of Duke's past 5 games. Duke is 25-94 (26.5%) from three in the four games against those opponents. They are being forced into more threes and are not a great shooting team. Part of that is luck, Duke will typically shoot a better percentage that. Look at the ND game and Louisville games, teams that are not predicated on allowing threes and you can see that Duke can still score. UNC is a horrible matchup for Duke and Virginia Tech is also not a good matchup. Duke shot 26 percent from three and still could be on a 9 game winning streak and playing tonight if a free throw and three pointer goes their way.

Neither are broken, but they both break down at the worst time. The closer the game gets toward the end, the dumber we get. We have low IQ guards. This cannot be fixed until we get smarter ones. The ones we have are not going to get any smarter in a week.
The script for the rest of the season is very easy to write, look for a 5 pt losses in the round of 16 or Elite 8, where in a tie game we turn the ball over twice in a row with less than 2 minutes left, and miss a key block out for a put back on the defensive end.

Motivation? Who's this guy named Chip and why does he need to be on these guy's shoulders?

A Kentucky fan was posting about how Marques Bolden gets no minutes and what separates Calipari from K.

I like my responses.

:tearsofjoy:

They are so dumb.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil